The discovery thread!
Dec 9, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #68,581 of 106,674
Super solid measurements of the Evoke at primeaudio.

Honestly, the tuning is perfect.............and just what I'm into.........surprisingly nice!
Aren't most IEMs nowadays look like that, if the manufacturers are not absolutely bonkers?
No............not at all. It's harder than you think.......that's why so many miss the mark. It's getting the BAs to not have BA timbre, and balance of treble to bass......................and midrange...........as well as doing vocals correct.........truly it's almost impossible. To have pizzaz........that IS the ULTIMATE goal.......and still offer a non-offensive tune!

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #68,582 of 106,674
No............not at all. It's harder than you think.......that's why so many miss the mark. It's getting the BAs to not have BA timbre, and balance of treble to bass......................and midrange...........as well as doing vocals correct.........truly it's almost impossible. To have pizzaz........that IS the ULTIMATE goal.......and still offer a non-offensive tune!
I’m just talking about the shape of the FR curve, not the immeasurable aspects like technical performance. Last year, this kind of curve would be super-hyped (“so well tuned, bla bla bla”)

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #68,583 of 106,674
Nope. I made a post comparing it to Hiby Lasya and MEAOES Eagle. Did you miss it?
As a matter of fact, I did miss it. But I remember you like the single DD from Hiby.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #68,584 of 106,674
I’m just talking about the shape of the FR curve, not the immeasurable aspects like technical performance. Last year, this kind of curve would be super-hyped (“so well tuned, bla bla bla”)
Oh....I don't pay attention to that, but I guess you're right. But they do sound correct......while not owning the filigrees of ultimate treble detail, they are amazingly proficient. Actually I try not to look at curves that much, as they can throw me off.

The only mistake he made is he was given the $199.00 faceplate and is quoting the $169.00 price of the other two faceplate versions......as an example?
Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 5.12.13 PM.png

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #68,586 of 106,674
@o0genesis0o
Are the JD7's your daily drivers now (and do you prefer them over other harman'ish IEMs in their price range)?
Im thinking about getting them once they are back in stock, for their price they seem really good (almost too good, where's the catch?).

Yes, I daily drive JD7. You can find the kit that I put in my bag today in the picture below.

image.jpg

These JD7 are actually my favourite IEM in my entire collection right now because it’s tuned right, bassy enough, resolving enough, and has excellent soundstage imaging. I think Monarch Mk2 or Symphonium Helios could be a 100% improvement, but I’m not too eager to spend AUD$1600 very soon.

Not to say that JD7 is “end game”, because Andromeda is still more resolving and has more precise imaging. But Andro is not as well tuned nor dynamic and punchy.

The catch:
  • the included cable is annoying,
  • packaging is very cheap looking,
  • the shells are taken from a previous model (FA7s).
  • It is also not “prestigious” because it comes from the cheap line (Jade audio) rather than the main line (Fiio FD series).
  • @drewbadour also found that they are too bassy and gooey and a bit shouty.
  • Ultimately, we cannot ignore the psychological bias. No matter how good these are, if they are the only one in your collection, you would have that yearning for something more expensive, like those elusive kilobuck or TOTL IEMs (U12t, high-end unique melody stuffs, the birds, the jewels, etc.)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #68,587 of 106,674
Yes, I daily drive JD7. You can find the kit that I put in my bag today in the picture below.

image.jpg

These JD7 are actually my favourite IEM in my entire collection right now because it’s tuned right, bassy enough, resolving enough, and has excellent soundstage imaging. I think Monarch Mk2 or Symphonium Helios could be a 100% improvement, but I’m not too eager to spend AUD$1600 very soon.

Not to say that JD7 is “end game”, because Andromeda is still more resolving and has more precise imaging. But Andro is not as well tuned nor dynamic and punchy.

The catch:
  • the included cable is annoying,
  • packaging is very cheap looking,
  • the shells are taken from a previous model (FA7s).
  • It is also not “prestigious” because it comes from the cheap line (Jade audio) rather than the main line (Fiio FD series).
  • @drewbadour also found that they are too bassy and gooey and a bit shouty.
  • Ultimately, we cannot ignore the psychological bias. No matter how good these are, if they are the only one in your collection, you would have that yearning for something more expensive, like those elusive kilobuck or TOTL IEMs (U12t, high-end unique melody stuffs, the birds, the jewels, etc.)

Personally i've found my "end game" already in the FiiO FH9, i'm looking for something more portable/smaller to complement it.
The JD7 seems to be ideal, i've owned the FiiO FD3/5 before so that specific reused shell design fits me very well, also cable is no issue as i'll get a replacement for cheap.

Basically i'm looking for a more refined FiiO FD3 (no shoutiness and improved sub-bass), as that came with some shoutiness that i could not endure.
Your review helped a lot, thanks for the confirmation.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #68,588 of 106,674
Personally i've found my "end game" already in the FiiO FH9, i'm looking for something more portable/smaller to complement it.
The JD7 seems to be ideal, i've owned the FiiO FD3/5 before so that specific reused shell design fits me very well, also cable is no issue as i'll get a replacement for cheap.

Basically i'm looking for a more refined FiiO FD3 (no shoutiness and improved sub-bass), as that came with some shoutiness that i could not endure.
Your review helped a lot, thanks for the confirmation.
No worries. You have kicked ass setup there. I also like FH9 when I auditioned it (but not enough to buy it :beyersmile:) Please do let me know how it goes it you decide to get JD7. It is always interesting to see how different people’s listening can be.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #68,590 of 106,674
Interesting discussion above about the type of bass the RA10 produces. I received it yesterday, and to my ears it has no bass at all. Currently burning it in and will be trying tip rolling, but after listening to the impressive TRI I3 for a while, this feels like cold turkey.

On the other hand, I can only sleep with the TRI I3 if I use the standard tips, because every other one I tried makes it impossible to lay on my side for longer than a few minutes without discomfort. The TA10 disappears in my ears, as others have noticed before.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #68,591 of 106,674
Interesting discussion above about the type of bass the RA10 produces. I received it yesterday, and to my ears it has no bass at all. Currently burning it in and will be trying tip rolling, but after listening to the impressive TRI I3 for a while, this feels like cold turkey.

On the other hand, I can only sleep with the TRI I3 if I use the standard tips, because every other one I tried makes it impossible to lay on my side for longer than a few minutes without discomfort. The TA10 disappears in my ears, as others have noticed before.
Have you tried the NF audio tips included in the box? The first thing I did was throwing the tips on the IEMs in the trash and put the NF Audio tips on. When the seal is good, I hear a sub-bass focused tuning with a decent amount of mid-bass, but not too much.

Say, I can feel a bit of the rumble at the beginning of Skyrim main theme (Dragonborn). The war drum has some power, but not very satisfying. RA10 is bassier than my Etymotic ER2SE, but far cry from more bassy IEMs like JD7 or even Blessing 2. On the plus side, the bass is "nimble", bass line is clean, cello has texture and decent body. I remember Tri I3 to be a thick and bassy set. RA10 would feel very different to you, I imagine.

Edit: Jeez the graph of TRI I3 :dt880smile:
TRI-I3.jpg

No wonder you find RA10 having no bass.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #68,593 of 106,674
Fiio FH15.

New naming scheme: FH (Hybrid) 1 (new generation) 5 (mid-level in product line).

Edit: graph

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 9.49.04 pm.png

Kind of odd looking somehow. Do I see a Harman dip?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #68,594 of 106,674
Honestly, by all means guys direct me to a coherent hybrid cuz I really have foot down on single DD right now being the most optimal, and in balanced.

Truthear HEXA. Neutral with sub-bass boost.

It has quite decent technicalities, good isolation and fit. Timbre is pretty natural considering it has BAs inside. And the coherency is quite good IMHO, DD bass can keep up with BAs handling the higher frequencies. It sounds like a single DD in terms of coherency actually. Soundstage is small though.

The TRI I3 has one of the largest and heaviest shells I've encountered. But therein is their secret sauce - the huge shells contribute to a massive soundstage. The TRI I3's soundstage depth and height can rival some earbuds even!

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #68,595 of 106,674
The TRI I3 has one of the largest and heaviest shells I've encountered. But therein is their secret sauce - the huge shells contribute to a massive soundstage. The TRI I3's soundstage depth and height can rival some earbuds even!

You sure it's not because of the huge dip at 1kHz :dt880smile: 64 Audio uses that trick with their audiophile line of IEMs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back