The discovery thread!
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #68,551 of 104,190
Still no luck with the Discord? We ping you regularly there :dt880smile:

Btw, you should share FF5 impressions here as well. It's also "discovery".

No. I have another meeting tomorrow so I have my fingers crossed that they'll be done by then.

Good idea. I'll quote myself and post it here.

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #68,552 of 104,190
For anyone on this thread that's interested in the FF5, Fiios newest earbud in the FF series, I just got them today and I'm including my preliminary thoughts from the Earbud Round-up thread below:

Okay, so after an hour of listening my very early/preliminary impressions are a bit of a mixed bag. The FF5s are a nicely balanced pair of buds with some good detail retrieval, a reasonably wide soundstage, and more treble extension than the FF3s. I would like a bit more depth to the soundstage, but that's more of a nitpick.

Where the negative comes in, though it's not really a negative per se, is that I think there are buds out there that do what the FF5s are trying to do better than the FF5s. If I was looking for a pair of buds in this price range with a good balanced sound signature I would pick the Yincrow RW-2000s or the Shozy BKs and possibly others over the FF5s. Not that the FF5s are a bad pair of buds. They're actually quite good, but they don't really excel at any one thing.

Where @drewbadour says that the FF5s keep most of the magic of the FF3s, I have to disagree a bit. The magic of the FF3s is in that massive and authoritative presentation and, IMO, that is nowhere to be found in the FF5s. The FF3s aren't as balanced, but they aren't trying to be. Let me put it this way, my FF3s aren't going anywhere, but I'm not sure I need to keep the FF5s around. The FF3s are a special pair of buds that do what they do better than any pair of buds I have yet heard. I don't feel that way yet about the FF5s.

Keep in mind that I still have a lot of listening to do and I have only tried the FF5s on a single source, my Cayin N8ii, so there is still a lot of time and potential for these buds to show me things they haven't had the opportunity to show me yet. Another thing to keep in mind is that my impressions are coming from the perspective of a guy who already has multiple pairs of buds with balanced sound signatures that are some of the best available. Period. That means that for another balanced bud to be something I get excited about, it's gonna have to show me something that I'm not getting elsewhere.

I know some folks had specifically been wondering how the FF5s stack up to the Serratus. I will do some ABing and maybe put up something more in depth, but I think the Serratus is the better of the two sound wise. Which brings me to one last point, the FF5s are really a very nicely built and finished earbud. They are light, the machining of all the hardware us high quality, the MMCX connectors have a nice snap to them, but aren't particularly hard to pull apart, the fit is actually quite similar to the FF3s for me in how they sit in my ear which is a good thing because I love the FF3's fit, and the FF5s look great.

I'm still listening and I imagine I'll be going for a number of hours putting the FF5s through their paces. I have the FF3s and the Serratus standing by for some AB listening once I've got more ear time with the FF5s by themselves. If anyone has any other comparisons they want me to do with other buds in my collection just let me know.

Overall, my first reaction to the FF5s has been a pretty neutral one. They're a good listen, they don't do anything offensive, they aren't fatiguing though they have good extension at both ends of the spectrum, and all of that makes them a fine earbud. They just haven't shown me anything special yet and because they are the "successor" to the FF3s I had some pretty high hopes for them as I think others did too. All in all, I think people should stop thinking of these as a successor to the FF3s and just another option from Fiio instead.

I have a pair of EM5s on their way since my bassist is the current custodian of my old pair and I didn't want to give comparison impressions from memory since it has been a while since I listened to the EM5s. I'll post some impressions on that comparison later as well.

Edit: As always, please excuse any typos as I typed and posted this quickly from my phone while listening to the FF5s so my big thumbs and wandering attention don't bode well for typing/spelling accuracy. 😉

Edit 2: The EM5s just got dropped off so I'll be doing some AB testing with them as well. I love new bud day!

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #68,553 of 104,190
I really wish i could hear Blessing 2 or Hexa and Etymotic to decide what to buy, both going to fit my taste really well ... Well i find ER4S reptica
IMG_20221209_000317.jpg
45$ for cheaper version (T1), lower impedance, using knowles 26784
60$ for higher version (T2), knowles 29689, lower impedance
60$ aswell for the highest version (T3), using knowles 29689 but 100ohm

Bro I would strongly suggest to save your money and not buy these "DIY" pirated ETYs, Final Audio, Sennheiser and Campfire stuff from Aliexpress/Taobao.

I bought a DIY Sennheiser IEM before from Aliexpress.

It looks like the exact IEM, but the sound is : BASS Mids Treble

I thought those pirated Beats IEMs from a night bazaar was crap, this pirated Sennheiser is like 100x worse LOLOL.

It’s like you’ve been told to live with Outback’s Ribeye steak for rest of your life. Hey not bad. At least a ribeye!

You may be surprised if I tell you that I bought a brand new blessing 2 dusk & BTR5 and gifted to my ex-girlfriend instead of generic accessories such as silver rings.

I told her “ It’s lovely shiny little gem, and I’m only a man good-for-nothing but tasting the sound coming out of any gadgets, so this is my gift.”

Result? We broke up a year later. She wanted a proper jewelry not IEM😂

Bro, should have given her this CVJ Shine IEM thingy:

Shine.PNG

Diamonds (or pseudo diamonds) are a girl's best friend.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #68,554 of 104,190

Shine.PNG

Why didn't I have this idea? Engagement IEMs instead of an engagement ring!

Oh yeah, because then she'd definitely say no! 😜

I wonder how many of these have sold?

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #68,555 of 104,190
Hot take as a "reviewer": grab a competent mid-fi IEM (which one? any of them: Vulcan, Talos, SA6, FH7s, FH9, JD7, Penon something (?), Yume 2), grab a high-impedance flathead earbuds, grab a competent DAP (M11+, M6 ultra, DX170), and get the heck out and start listening to music. You've already win the portable audio game :dt880smile:
It’s a different spectrum with what you mentioned but See Audio’s Bravery is somrthig solidly build. Mainly for Asian-Pops genre though. Nice $100~500 range IEM

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #68,556 of 104,190
Bro I would strongly suggest to save your money and not buy these "DIY" pirated ETYs, Final Audio, Sennheiser and Campfire stuff from Aliexpress/Taobao.

I thought those pirated Beats IEMs from a night bazaar was crap, this pirated Sennheiser is like 100x worse LOLOL.

Yea I recall seeing that before. Obviously fake gems at a glance and Id be slapped if I gift this one dollar shop fake gem for kids type one. Wait you tried…nice guts
that sound sig reminds me of Openheart Resin

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #68,557 of 104,190

I bought one of those years ago, but it have a nice mmcx copper cable so i guess it still worth it haha. Well this one have the same driver as er4s so i wonder if they sound the same, even the shape is litterally straight copy and paste :thinking:

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #68,558 of 104,190

Which DIY sennheiser was that? I bought a DIY IE900 once. It is giga bass, but clean. Like insanely sub-bassy, to the point that my head started hurting after watching an episode of Star Trek (the constant warp drive hum). Upper midrange and lower-treble is intense but smooth so the midrange resolution is surprisingly nice. I daily drove that for a long time due to the comfort. The store seems to build these themselves, based on how they talk about tuning with me. Unfortunately, they have changed the tuning again to be even harsher, so I can't recommend at all.

I plan to buy just the shells and make my own DIY. I think most of the magic of these pairs are in the knock-off shell design (the X3R chambers thingy)

graph-7.png

Why didn't I have this idea? Engagement IEMs instead of an engagement ring!

I have been floating that idea with my SO. "You may exchange the ring ... You may exchange U12t"

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #68,559 of 104,190
I bought one of those years ago, but it have a nice mmcx copper cable so i guess it still worth it haha. Well this one have the same driver as er4s so i wonder if they sound the same, even the shape is litterally straight copy and paste :thinking:

Well these DIY shops can use the purported same driver -hard to prove unless you have a spectrometer to analyze things - but even with the same shell shape, a lot of other factors influence the sound - eg damping, nozzle diameter/length, vent location, material of shells, location of driver etc.

Which DIY sennheiser was that? I bought a DIY IE900 once. It is giga bass, but clean. Like insanely sub-bassy, to the point that my head started hurting after watching an episode of Star Trek (the constant warp drive hum). Upper midrange and lower-treble is intense but smooth so the midrange resolution is surprisingly nice. I daily drove that for a long time due to the comfort. The store seems to build these themselves, based on how they talk about tuning with me. Unfortunately, they have changed the tuning again to be even harsher, so I can't recommend at all.

I plan to buy just the shells and make my own DIY. I think most of the magic of these pairs are in the knock-off shell design (the X3R chambers thingy)

graph-7.png

I have been floating that idea with my SO. "You may exchange the ring ... You may exchange U12t"

I think it was a DIY IE80S. Amazingly it looked identical externally, with even the Senn logo, but the sound was like listening to a submarine underwater LOL. Back then I didn't have a measuring rig yet, but the sound was so bad that I gave it away after a day.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #68,560 of 104,190
I think it was a DIY IE80S. Amazingly it looked identical externally, with even the Senn logo, but the sound was like listening to a submarine underwater LOL. Back then I didn't have a measuring rig yet, but the sound was so bad that I gave it away after a day.

I'll never touch DIY IE80S. Even the real product is not compelling :dt880smile: I like the real IE900 though. Very nice technical performance.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #68,561 of 104,190
when listening AKG N5005 with bass acoustic filter, the tonal balance reminds me of something that I couldn’t immediately think of…then finally found it.

It is amazing that KZ could pull out N5005 tuning from their DQ6S.
If you love DQ6S’s approach, N5005 will be straightforward technical upgrade. However you will lose the “roughness” which you sometime need it for certain rock tracks.
DAA38604-5ABC-4233-90B2-E80FEE30B474.png

They both are gain spot avoider type.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #68,562 of 104,190

graph-7.png

Hey, that FR looks very familiar to GS audio ST10!
Imagine ST10 is overdosed version of that fake IE900, equipped with Vision Ears’s flagship model’s same BA inside it. Crazy tuning but it’s something. Something for audiophiles got bored of sophisticated tuning.

At a glance, My impression on ST10 was “**** I’ve wasted $500”
But as I listened it for hours, strangely enough (well it’s actually scientifically proven already ) your ear will start to adopt to that balance. From that point the subbass and bass will punch like heavy boxers.

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #68,563 of 104,190
*Paging @o0genesis0o ! Paging o0genesis0o!*

So it looks like on Sunday afternoon/evening I'm gonna have a couple friends over for a BBQ and gear swapping sesh and I'll have a few hours of comparison time with the Andros, A12t, Monarch Mk2, and Mest Mk2. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

And ofc, you're more than welcome to attend if you can fly from Down Under to SoCal in time. I'll even pick you up at the airport of your choice and you can stay in my guest room. If not, posts and PMs will have to do...

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #68,564 of 104,190
Hey, that FR looks very familiar to GS audio ST10!
Imagine ST10 is overdosed version of that fake IE900, equipped with Vision Ears’s flagship model’s same BA inside it. Crazy tuning but it’s something. Something for audiophiles got bored of sophisticated tuning.

At a glance, My impression on ST10 was “**** I’ve wasted $500”
But as I listened it for hours, strangely enough (well it’s actually scientifically proven already ) your ear will start to adopt to that balance. From that point the subbass and bass will punch like heavy boxers.
>Sorry, this item's currently unavailable in your location. Explore other Group Buy deals.

awesome - can't even watch the item by selecting other countries,

not sure what is going on with germany - is it the black hole of europe lately or something ?

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #68,565 of 104,190
Yea I recall seeing that before. Obviously fake gems at a glance and Id be slapped if I gift this one dollar shop fake gem for kids type one. Wait you tried…nice guts
that sound sig reminds me of Openheart Resin
I recently got to try IE900 fake(from some kind of source), man it was bad. So peaky, so sharp, so sibilant. I was like how dare you do this xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back