The discovery thread!
Dec 9, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #68,566 of 104,198
If I ever did a collaboration, this KiiBOOM would be what I would come-up with. For the money to sound value, this IS it. A hybrid of course, with a DD and 2 BAs! This is exactly what I'm looking for in comparison to sound, fit, value and build quality! Done.................

EVOKE $169.00-$199.00 depending on faceplate style.

https://www.kiiboom.com/products/kiiboom-evoke?variant=43512552653044

DSC_0015.jpegqwef.jpeg
DSC_0025.jpegsdga.jpeg
DSC_0029.jpegsdqgr.jpeg
DSC_0046.jpegqaqaq.jpeg
DSC_0075.jpegqwe.jpeg
KiiBOOM.jpeg

KiiBOOM Evoke​

The Evoke is a hybrid in-ear monitor designed using the combinations of a single dynamic driver for bass, a full range balanced armature driver for mids, and a micro tweeter balanced armature for the upper trebles.​

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #68,567 of 104,198
If I ever did a collaboration, this KiiBOOM would be what I would come-up with. For the money to sound value, this IS it. A hybrid of course, with a DD and 2 BAs! This is exactly what I'm looking for in comparison to sound, fit, value and build quality! Done.................

EVOKE

https://www.kiiboom.com/products/kiiboom-evoke?variant=43512552653044

DSC_0015.jpegqwef.jpegDSC_0025.jpegsdga.jpegDSC_0029.jpegsdqgr.jpegDSC_0046.jpegqaqaq.jpegDSC_0075.jpegqwe.jpegKiiBOOM.jpeg
Looks great.
Btw on a different note, what is the take here regarding upgrade cables? I got a new custom hand-made cable from someone in India. Got it for Euclid. Built like a weapon lol, cost is like 150$.

1670565349263.png

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #68,569 of 104,198
*Paging @o0genesis0o ! Paging o0genesis0o!*

So it looks like on Sunday afternoon/evening I'm gonna have a couple friends over for a BBQ and gear swapping sesh and I'll have a few hours of comparison time with the Andros, A12t, Monarch Mk2, and Mest Mk2. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

And ofc, you're more than welcome to attend if you can fly from Down Under to SoCal in time. I'll even pick you up at the airport of your choice and you can stay in my guest room. If not, posts and PMs will have to do...

Wishlist of questions:
  • Resolution: any of them can truely out-resolve Andro, like true resolution rather than just thinner midrange.
  • Soundstage: any of them as holographic as Andro.
I hope that they are more or less the same, so I don't have to buy anything :dt880smile:

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #68,571 of 104,198
Super solid measurements of the Evoke at primeaudio.
Aren't most IEMs nowadays look like that, if the manufacturers are not absolutely bonkers?

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #68,572 of 104,198
Wishlist of questions:
  • Resolution: any of them can truely out-resolve Andro, like true resolution rather than just thinner midrange.
  • Soundstage: any of them as holographic as Andro.
I hope that they are more or less the same, so I don't have to buy anything :dt880smile:

I'll have to do some AB listening to give you an answer on just how much, but the A12ts I just got do, in fact, out-resolve my Andros. My initial thought is that it's not by tons, but I'll get back to you on that and the other comparisons for sure.

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #68,574 of 104,198
I'll have to do some AB listening to give you an answer on just how much, but the A12ts I just got do, in fact, out-resolve my Andros. My initial thought is that it's not by tons, but I'll get back to you on that and the other comparisons for sure.
Oh, I forgot, you can drop the U12t from the comparisons. I already know it is better than my Andro on all aspects :dt880smile: AUD $3200 is too rich for my blood. Mest2 and Monarch2 are generally around USD $1000, which is still painful but justifiable (kind of).

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #68,575 of 104,198
I have been busy lately, so wasn't able to put down my thoughts on the NF Audio RA10. Nevertheless, let's get on with it:

RA10 is an iem with a tuning style that is very far from my preference. Very far. But that does not mean that it only has cons and no pros. I am trying to look at it objectively rather than from a subjective point of view, removing bias as much as possible.
The tuning of RA10 is neutral bright. Not balanced, neutral, and quite flat. Some may term it as a reference. To my ears, though, it is kind of on the boring side, not very dynamic, and does not sound very musical.
However, RA10 does manage to sound technically highly competent. The detail extraction is quite significant and effortless. Very clean background. Linear bass with subbass roll off, but bass textures are clear and prominent. Midbass slams may not sound full and dynamic, but they certainly are not lost - can be detected fairly easily in the mix. Midrange is highly transparent, forward, and well textured. Guitars sound crunchy and quite nice overall - both acoustic and electric. Male vocals sound a bit on the leaner side, but female vocals sound quite brilliant and not much thin. There are no uncomfortable spikes in the upper midrange, despite the overall leanness of the sound. Treble extends very well and have ample energy. Does not sound thin or tonally off. Soundstage seems wide enough and has good height, but the depth might come off as a bit less because of the overall forwardness of treble and upper mid region.
However, I must point out, RA10 is easily one of the most comfortable, if not THE most comfortable iem I have ever used. It literally disappears inside the ears. I cannot even feel it after a while. Unique feeling I must say.

20221207_123807-1.jpg

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #68,576 of 104,198
I have been busy lately, so wasn't able to put down my thoughts on the NF Audio RA10. Nevertheless, let's get on with it:

RA10 is an iem with a tuning style that is very far from my preference. Very far. But that does not mean that it only has cons and no pros. I am trying to look at it objectively rather than from a subjective point of view, removing bias as much as possible.
The tuning of RA10 is neutral bright. Not balanced, neutral, and quite flat. Some may term it as a reference. To my ears, though, it is kind of on the boring side, not very dynamic, and does not sound very musical.
However, RA10 does manage to sound technically highly competent. The detail extraction is quite significant and effortless. Very clean background. Linear bass with subbass roll off, but bass textures are clear and prominent. Midbass slams may not sound full and dynamic, but they certainly are not lost - can be detected fairly easily in the mix. Midrange is highly transparent, forward, and well textured. Guitars sound crunchy and quite nice overall - both acoustic and electric. Male vocals sound a bit on the leaner side, but female vocals sound quite brilliant and not much thin. There are no uncomfortable spikes in the upper midrange, despite the overall leanness of the sound. Treble extends very well and have ample energy. Does not sound thin or tonally off. Soundstage seems wide enough and has good height, but the depth might come off as a bit less because of the overall forwardness of treble and upper mid region.
However, I must point out, RA10 is easily one of the most comfortable, if not THE most comfortable iem I have ever used. It literally disappears inside the ears. I cannot even feel it after a while. Unique feeling I must say.

20221207_123807-1.jpg
Are you me? We hear exactly the same, and we have exactly the same colour of the NA10 :dt880smile:

Surprisingly resolving. Smooth treble but kind of rolled off in the air region. "reference", "flat", "dry" tuning. Most of the bass energy is in the sub. Very comfortable. Super good for $50 if one is into that kind of sound signature though.

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #68,577 of 104,198
Are you me? We hear exactly the same, and we have exactly the same colour of the NA10 :dt880smile:

Surprisingly resolving. Smooth treble but kind of rolled off in the air region. "reference", "flat", "dry" tuning. Most of the bass energy is in the sub. Very comfortable. Super good for $50 if one is into that kind of sound signature though.
Ha! That definitely resonates mine! Dry, yes, the overall sound is really dry. But I would rather say it is the tuning style they decided to go with, and they pulled it off brilliantly. Just because it definitely does not match with my preference, I could not outright dumped it in the gutter saying it is badly tuned iem. It definitely did not make me feel the way Aful Performer 5 made me feel, or many other iems that I would not name further. It did not sound wrong.
Although, to my ears, most of the energy in low end was in midbass rather than sub. The subbass reverberation simply was not present, although the textures were quite prominent.
And yeah, perfect under $50 for anyone who likes this kind of signature, not me, not you. Due to the extremely small form factor, I am thinking about whether I should hand it over to my wife...she always whines that why do I not get any iem that can fit her small ears. May be this will suit her. She mostly listens to vocal based song, so the absence of will not inconvenience her much. :ksc75smile:

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #68,578 of 104,198
Dec 9, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #68,579 of 104,198
It’s not. Try it👍 You’ll miss a juice.

You can see my disappointment with cross-out for “unclear” sound right out of the box. I commented “at least I was expecting 7hz salnotes zero level of our of box performance, but it’s not there yet”
I still find it lacking something, like some air/extension in the treble and the bass is a bit plastic sounding after more ear time. I just tried Dunu's S&S tips and they work quite well. However, I highly recommend trying out the CCA CXS I just think it's cheaper and have more precise and extended treble and stronger bass and also better resolution both in the foreground and background.
Yeah, burn in is essential. The driver needs loosening to exhibit its full dynamism. Source matters a lot. Like any super budget, you get better with aftermarket stuff (as I previously posted). Still, Tangzu is generous with tips and gives 4 sizes of KBEAR 07 clones. The cable though is... acceptable. Its essential go balanced for audiophilia, anyway. SQ scales a lot with power and that ~safe~ tuning reaches its climax with more volume, especially from a more resolving source.

While TRN MT3 and Nicehck DB1 are only okay for me at low volume, Wan'er SG is a moment for loudness with no fatigue at all. The bass is very engaging and Abigail enhances it further, I think. It sounds so physical & clean...

My guess is that Tangzu, instead of cloning Salnotes, is opting for more musicality. They may be avoiding it sound grainy (like my EDX Pro does). I think is what everyone thought the Chu would be when it was announced
I have the MT3 also and it's good but not great. Again, I highly recommend trying out the CCA CXS in the price range. The bass and the overall tuning are much better.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #68,580 of 104,198

Users who are viewing this thread

Back