The discovery thread!
Dec 6, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #68,446 of 101,097
Hello, FreeWheelinAudioLuv2:
I still enjoy mine and a bit jealous of the great price fellow head-fiers can purchase them for now (I paid about $800 for mine back in the day...lol). I probably will buy a second pair when I catch them on sale again. Enjoy!
If I end up with two sets, I'll be more than happy to sell you one at what I paid for it?

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #68,447 of 101,097
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #68,448 of 101,097
Hi, sorry for bothering - I do not find any writing on your mod. Would you be kind to share link or write down!
Sorry for my "about to" that leads to nothing. Been busy lately and havent post anything about it mate.

Dec 6, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #68,451 of 101,097
Just a tuning focused marketing? With such generic shells... Definitely contrasting the CRA innovative tech and cool design
I noted that the trio being, CRA (the technician) , CXS (the performer), and now we have FLA (the pretty face)
It seems, CCA FLA trying to ride on the prettier shell, detachable cable, tuning, and slightly lower price at $12~$13.
which i'm pretty sure it was $15 yesterday.
---
I was hoping that FLA would be updated CXS but yeah...
it'll be pretty tough to fight the current $20 market since its is really competitive now,
with 7hz Zero, HBBxQKZ, Wan'er (or KZ own EDXUltra, CRA, CXS) around.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #68,452 of 101,097
I noted that the trio being, CRA (the technician) , CXS (the performer), and now we have FLA (the pretty face)
It seems, CCA FLA trying to ride on the prettier shell, detachable cable, tuning, and slightly lower price at $12~$13.
which i'm pretty sure it was $15 yesterday.
---
I was hoping that FLA would be updated CXS but yeah...
it'll be pretty tough to fight the current $20 market since its is really competitive now,
with 7hz Zero, HBBxQKZ, Wan'er (or KZ own EDXUltra, CRA, CXS) around.
I like my CRA, but I'm really not in love with any of my CCA's, and I got a ton of those. The most fun one is the CCA NRA followed by the CRA and CA16. Probably won't even spend any money on anymore. They are serviceable. I'm passed the serviceable tendencies.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #68,453 of 101,097
I like my CRA, but I'm really not in love with any of my CCA's, and I got a ton of those. The most fun one is the CCA NRA followed by the CRA and CA16. Probably won't even spend any money on anymore. They are serviceable. I'm passed the serviceable tendencies.
yeah, KZ performance target being "serviceable" and "good for the price", its not good enough anymore when the midfi started to descent into budget segment with their more carefully tuned/designed product.

Even the Planar while KZ PR1 Pro is pretty widely praised (to people who got their unit, mine still in transport), its hype kinda got killed as KZ need to walk from PLA13, to PR1 Balanced/Hifi, before reaching PR1 Pro where there are way less people that interested in it.

I mention to KZ rep that CRA and CXS at least have something to sell if somebody ask recommendation for $20 iem. but something barely mediocre like FLA (while cheap) would be hard to recommend with others (wan'er, 7hz Zero, etc) around.
which he keep reiterating that "it have good look, detachable cable, tuning, and $12~13 price"

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #68,454 of 101,097
Single BA? Hope you don't like any bass weight.

Graph shows exactly what one would expect from a single BA set: lots of treble, not much bass.

Have to agree with you folks. While driver type, count and brand are not as important as tuning/implementation, there are unfortunately some physical limitations for single BA IEMs - indeed single BAs are arguably the weakest of the driver configs available nowadays.

Exceptions are present of course, but the single BAs generally have issues with handling the full frequency range, and generally have sub-bass and/or upper treble roll-offs. Technicalities are also impaired (in general) in using a single BA compared to similarly priced multi BA/hybrid sets, and of course, you add BA timbre to the mix.

Well never say never, but with so many disadvantages for a single BA pair, I personally think at this day and age, these should be phased out for a proper multi driver/hybrid, or planar or single DD, which bring their own unique benefits to the table. Exceptions exist of course, but I've tried a few MidFI Japanese single BA IEMs, they were quite good technically, but still had the sub-bass roll-off and BA timbre.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #68,455 of 101,097
The single BA benchmark seems to be the Etymotic ER3XR.

Every Most other single BA sets are heavily bottlenecked by poor extension on both ends and mid technicalities,

There's a good reason why most manufacturers don't make single BA IEMs.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #68,458 of 101,097
I remember the Zero Audio Singolo used to get some praise for a single BA. I never bothered to buy it. I went with the very competent Doppio, which I still own. For single BA, I've owned the Altec Lansing MZX606, Ultimate Ears 600, Sony XBA 1, and Westone W10, and none of them were really any good as an all arounder due to the inherent weaknesses in each.

Dec 7, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #68,460 of 101,097
Lol this is the third graph to pop up for the Allure and they are all different in the treble.

Different mics and couplers have different resonant peak areas - graphs give a rough idea of the sound signature and are good to complement subjective analysis.

Also the range the graph shows, along with any smoothing, will make peaks/dips more pronounced or subdued.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back