The discovery thread!
Oct 31, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #66,436 of 106,825
Yes, I have researched CA, and while it has been disclosed that one full build of an IEM was done in its entirety in China, it’s not something easy to figure out. Same as Nobel Audio, they admit that while parts come from all over the world, often they are assembled in the USA.

This is a gray area that USA manufacturing does not easily disclose, and if they do, it’s still a play on words. Most stuff is made in China though, I will say that. If it has a final assembly in the USA is another story?

I just remember reading the paperwork from either my Andromedas or my Supermoons and it says in black and white "designed and assembled in Oregon/US." It didn't seem like they were hiding it at all to me. I agree with you that there are plenty of other companies that are less than forthcoming about this kinda thing.

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #66,437 of 106,825
Doesn't Campfire just say their stuff is designed and assembled in the US? I guess I'm an idiot, but I always thought there components were manufactured by OEMs in China and shipped here for assmebly, tuning, QC, etc. Does anyone know for sure?
A joint venture between DROP and CA had it’s IEM fully built in China. Sorry forgot the model, it’s hard to remember every model! :)

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #66,438 of 106,825
I just remember reading the paperwork from either my Andromedas or my Supermoons and it says in black and white "designed and assembled in Oregon/US." It didn't seem like they were hiding it at all to me. I agree with you that there are plenty of other companies that are less than forthcoming about this kinda thing.
Please, again a play on words. Designed and assembled literally means the parts were made in China. Doesn’t it? Truly I look at it as a benefit, made in China!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #66,440 of 106,825
A joint venture between DROP and CA had it’s IEM fully built in China. Sorry forgot the model, it’s hard to remember every model! :)

Weird. I know Drop sold/sells Campfire IEMs, but I didn't know they did a joint venture. I'll have to look that up. Do you happen to remember if it was any good?

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #66,441 of 106,825
Doesn't Campfire just say their stuff is designed and assembled in the US? I guess I'm an idiot, but I always thought there components were manufactured by OEMs in China and shipped here for assmebly, tuning, QC, etc. Does anyone know for sure?

Or maybe I was thinking about 64 audio? I remember one or both of them mentioned that the shells are machined in US. At least there are videos of u18s production in US.

Anyhow, doesn’t matter :beyersmile: If you want their stuffs, you buy. No other choice.

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #66,442 of 106,825
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/janonymous5150.560890/

What I mean by “joint-venture” is that the IEM was introduced as made by CA, but had those characteristics that you get with a Drop product, meaning it was not something you could ever specifically buy directly from CA. Like the HD6XX, though I don’t remember if it was different sounding or different looking, though it had a different name obviously......and throughly made in China.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #66,443 of 106,825
The Supermoon uses a Chinese built OEM driver most likely. I mean I could be wrong, but think about it? Why would you make an entire factory to make such a thing, when it (the factory) already exists in China?

It would take a video of the Ken Ball factory (with US workers) to convince me otherwise.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #66,444 of 106,825
Also remember that "assembled in" does not mean "all assembly was carried out in". If a company were meaning to mislead through misinformation (inconceivable in the US right?), then a company might chose to interpret putting on the eartips as "assembly". Hell, I'm sure there are companies that regard shrink-wrapping or applying a pricing sticker, as "assembly". I remember investigative reporting on cheap Pakistani surgical instruments. Offers were made to change "Made in..." branding to anything the customer wanted "Made in Sweden, of course Sir, let me just ring the factory!"

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #66,445 of 106,825
I remember before “Made In China” there was only “Made In Japan” and around 1970 it was considered cheep. Now things have twirled around to mean different things. For one KZ couldn’t probably keep QC the same as a small company, but KZ has individual models approaching 500,000 units at times.....just try and get your head around that! Truly there will always be QC issues with that level of output, yet just look at what you get now for the money! The sound!
Also remember that "assembled in" does not mean "all assembly was carried out in". If a company were meaning to mislead through misinformation (inconceivable in the US right?), then a company might chose to interpret putting on the eartips as "assembly". Hell, I'm sure there are companies that regard shrink-wrapping or applying a pricing sticker, as "assembly". I remember investigative reporting on cheap Pakistani surgical instruments. Offers were made to change "Made in..." branding to anything the customer wanted "Made in Sweden, of course Sir, let me just ring the factory!"
Personally I really could care less where stuff is made! It’s the sound that matters!

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #66,446 of 106,825
True,
it could be the IEM itself is build in USA with parts from china tough if this is whats happen, they will use "made in USA"
OR it could be the iem is already built in china, they just assembled the packaging

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #66,447 of 106,825
53A55143-92F4-4630-9011-B45B151391D9.jpeg

$16.50 USD
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/all/products/tangzu-waner-s-g?variant=43530411180249

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #66,448 of 106,825
I challenge anyone to not tell me the Celest has planar IEM bass.
I would definitely argue against the Celest having "planar IEM bass". Don't get me wrong, I have fallen in love with the Celest and it has become my most used iem the past couple weeks. With that said, the bass reminds me of a subwoofer in a car or more specifically a sub with a passive radiator. It just doesn't have the speed I get from my planar iems. The bass sounds like it is coming from a much larger speaker and unlike any other iem I have tried. I can feel the pressure changes when bass hits further reminding me of an actual sub. It's just more of a full bodied rounder powerful bass compared to the tight almost sharp edged bass from the planar iems I have. It also seems to distort when under powered which I don't really notice on planar iems. I still love the thing and think anyone who enjoys the Mele has to give the Celest a try. Imo it's a hip hop heads' dream and fixes some of the faults of the Mele.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #66,449 of 106,825

Saw the graph on HBB's YT video.

I don't think you can do better for 17 bucks.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #66,450 of 106,825
I would definitely argue against the Celest having "planar IEM bass". Don't get me wrong, I have fallen in love with the Celest and it has become my most used iem the past couple weeks. With that said, the bass reminds me of a subwoofer in a car or more specifically a sub with a passive radiator. It just doesn't have the speed I get from my planar iems. The bass sounds like it is coming from a much larger speaker and unlike any other iem I have tried. I can feel the pressure changes when bass hits further reminding me of an actual sub. It's just more of a full bodied rounder powerful bass compared to the tight almost sharp edged bass from the planar iems I have. It also seems to distort when under powered which I don't really notice on planar iems. I still love the thing and think anyone who enjoys the Mele has to give the Celest a try. Imo it's a hip hop heads' dream and fixes some of the faults of the Mele.
Glad you’re onboard for the Celest’s charms, truly an unexpected surprise this year for me. :).....nothing like it looks on the outside to be?
3BFB5DA6-2223-408F-B905-6B83F96BC718.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back