The discovery thread!
Oct 31, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #66,421 of 106,702
I agree on the texture not being there like a full-fledged planar IEM, yet I’m not sure if anything on the market sounds close to genuine planar bass, as the Celest? While I haven’t heard it all, the sound is quite unique for what it is. Also the stage, that isn’t just the BA doing it’s thing. I mean I judged the little Celest upon first getting it on price and looks, though amazingly I was dragged into a different viewpoint after burn-in and listening at length?
The Celest bass is not there in resolution and dynamics compared to true planars (I have only Dioko and KZ HiFi one for comparison) by the very nature of the trade-off of the SPD design. A simple square coil can't do the job of an array of strong magnets

Celest is a very likeable and enjoyable IEM, mightily pushing the limits of $50 range for sure.
While I haven’t heard the KZ PR1, I have two arriving any day; don’t know as to why two? But to me the Dioko has way more issues to deal with than the little Celest. Meaning the bass is just not there, while what is there is refined and sculpted, I’ll take the sloppiness of the Celest any day of the week! While both the Dioko and Celest have timbre issues, that may be the biggest downside to the two IEMs, it’s strange in my experience to have such timbre with planar IEMs. The Celest is due to the BA, the Dioko.....I have no idea as to why? To me the Dioko has the sound of a girl with bad makeup!

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #66,422 of 106,702
The Celest bass is not there in resolution and dynamics compared to true planars (I have only Dioko and KZ HiFi one for comparison) by the very nature of the trade-off of the SPD design. A simple square coil can't do the job of an array of strong magnets

Celest is a very likeable and enjoyable IEM, mightily pushing the limits of $50 range for sure.
4BF30487-DACF-44BA-A870-1A43B14396A5.jpeg

I have a feeling, just call it gut-instinct, that the timbre here will be a noticeable difference from the Celest MK1.

The ”Pandamon”! Lol

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #66,423 of 106,702
This sounds very familiar! Well, sorry, they look familiar, but they surely do not sound the same LOL

KZ ZS6:
KZ ZS6.jpg

Campfire Andromeda
Campfire Andromeda.jpg
It' funny that you bring this up because I remember John Darko stopped covering KZ IEMs because of this:

What about KZ? I reviewed the ATE last year but won’t be covering any more of their IEMs after it was brought to my attention that the Chinese manufacturer took ‘heavy inspiration’ from Campfire Audio’s earpiece designs.

Source: https://darko.audio/2019/12/10-more-thoughts-on-3-x-wired-iems-campfire-meze-ibasso/

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #66,424 of 106,702
This sounds very familiar! Well, sorry, they look familiar, but they surely do not sound the same LOL

KZ ZS6:
KZ ZS6.jpg

Campfire Andromeda
Campfire Andromeda.jpg
aren’t campfire shells machined in US? Might be reverse-engineering more than stolen from factory. (Or campfire actually machines those shells in China and lies to us about it, thus the shells can be stollen *cue X-file theme*)

Reminds me of the fancy X3R chambers in IE900, stolen and reproduced in DIY units as well.

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #66,425 of 106,702
I agree on the texture not being there like a full-fledged planar IEM, yet I’m not sure if anything on the market sounds close to genuine planar bass, as the Celest? While I haven’t heard it all, the sound is quite unique for what it is. Also the stage, that isn’t just the BA doing it’s thing. I mean I judged the little Celest upon first getting it on price and looks, though amazingly I was dragged into a different viewpoint after burn-in and listening at length?

While I haven’t heard the KZ PR1, I have two arriving any day; don’t know as to why two? But to me the Dioko has way more issues to deal with than the little Celest. Meaning the bass is just not there, while what is there is refined and sculpted, I’ll take the sloppiness of the Celest any day of the week! While both the Dioko and Celest have timbre issues, that may be the biggest downside to the two IEMs, it’s strange in my experience to have such timbre with planar IEMs. The Celest is due to the BA, the Dioko.....I have no idea as to why? To me the Dioko has the sound of a girl with bad makeup!

I've tried around 8 of the current planar IEMs hypes, and they all generally have not so accurate timbral accuracy, compared to single DD types. I guess it is cause of the lightning quick transients and rapid decay they bring to the table, so acoustic instruments sound somewhat unnatural.

But the planars (in general) beat the single DD IEMs in technicalities, transients and even treble extension, though perhaps they don't move bass air/decay that well as single DD types. The Tangzu Zetian Wu probably have the best timbre of the planar rivals, though it may not be the most technical of the lot.

Planar budget/MidFI IEMs have come a long way since the Tin P1 of a few years back, and in just a year, we saw them drop below $100 consistently. I do think that planar IEMs are currently not the finished article, but maybe in a few months' time, we will see them evolve and improve even further! Good time to be in this hobby!

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #66,426 of 106,702
though perhaps they don't move bass air/decay that well as single DD types.

I don’t get the “planar bass not as good as DD” I remember both Final D8000 pro and Sundara slam my head like nothing else when listening to hotel California, so I always associate planar with good bass :thinking: A head-fier told me that S12 (modded) slams like DD but with planar speed.

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #66,427 of 106,702
I don’t get the “planar bass not as good as DD” I remember both Final D8000 pro and Sundara slam my head like nothing else when listening to hotel California, so I always associate planar with good bass :thinking: A head-fier told me that S12 (modded) slams like DD but with planar speed.

Yes planar headphones sound much better in the bass than planar IEMs.

Hence, as alluded to, the planar IEMs have come a really long way this year, but my 2 cents it that they ain't the finished article, and there's still areas to improve - mostly in the timbre and perhaps bass. For sure though, most of the planar IEMs are kings in technicalities, compared to similarly priced single DD. So pros and cons among the different transducer types.

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #66,428 of 106,702

Classic rock track I use for testing treble. If there is a 8Khz emphasis. This track becomes unbearable. Treble for the Eagles are clean, well shaped, treble notes have some weight. Not the airiest trebles but I would take proper balancing for the treble vs airy if I had to choose between the two because you can have airy trebles and get all sorts of treble glare. No tizzy splashiness or grain in the trebles with 2 BAs on tap the definition of the treble is very good. Its not emphasized greater than the mids presence but it certainly isn't lacking in the treble department. Rock and metal sounds proper if not excellent due to the punchy bass lines of the eagle with clean trebles.

If I know your taste in treble presentations, you might want just a touch more treble from these but for balance heads these are excellent.

I have been telling you for years. You need to check out Tansio Mirai earphones. Tansio Mirai Sands I bet would become your TOTL if you heard it, I guarantee.

I just did cable rolling with the TSMR Land, with the....

ISN S8 4.4mm x 0.78
Penon Audio CS819 4.4mm x 0.78
Penon OS133 4.4mm x 0.78
Penon PAC480 4.4mm x 0.78
And...Hansound ZENTOO 4.4mm x 0.78

Winner is still the PAC480 is still IMO, the best, though amazing was the new-arraignment positioning of the CS819. Such CS819 sound could fully be interpreted as a thwarted midrange! Wild! The LAND allows you to perceive different cables!

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #66,429 of 106,702
Oct 31, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #66,430 of 106,702
If I could add 2 cents, the way it is, we as listeners get slightly confused. Reason being is we can latch-onto specific characteristics of planar IEM bass. And just like (with) a beautiful woman, become sidetracked as to reality. It’s that they are truly apples and oranges....and can’t be completely compared. The planar IEM offers that speed and corrective measures which a DD cannot touch, at least with today’s technology. The DD at times can be beefier and offer enhanced density, yet it is that transient bass response (per dollar) that has everyone knocking at the planar doorway!

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #66,431 of 106,702

Classic rock track I use for testing treble. If there is a 8Khz emphasis. This track becomes unbearable. Treble for the Eagles are clean, well shaped, treble notes have some weight. Not the airiest trebles but I would take proper balancing for the treble vs airy if I had to choose between the two because you can have airy trebles and get all sorts of treble glare. No tizzy splashiness or grain in the trebles with 2 BAs on tap the definition of the treble is very good. Its not emphasized greater than the mids presence but it certainly isn't lacking in the treble department. Rock and metal sounds proper if not excellent due to the punchy bass lines of the eagle with clean trebles.

If I know your taste in treble presentations, you might want just a touch more treble from these but for balance heads these are excellent.

I have been telling you for years. You need to check out Tansio Mirai earphones. Tansio Mirai Sands I bet would become your TOTL if you heard it, I guarantee.

You're the third person who's recommended the Sands to me, so after all this time, you're figuring out my preferences. Cheers!

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #66,432 of 106,702
aren’t campfire shells machined in US? Might be reverse-engineering more than stolen from factory. (Or campfire actually machines those shells in China and lies to us about it, thus the shells can be stollen *cue X-file theme*)

Reminds me of the fancy X3R chambers in IE900, stolen and reproduced in DIY units as well.

Doesn't Campfire just say their stuff is designed and assembled in the US? I guess I'm an idiot, but I always thought there components were manufactured by OEMs in China and shipped here for assmebly, tuning, QC, etc. Does anyone know for sure?

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #66,433 of 106,702
The Sands in one-of-a-kind. Though you need the Penon PAC480 cable to make it all come together. There is a treble shelf that needs to be addressed, but just like a mixed drink, becomes both tasty and strong in the end. It’s just that such elixirs offer a progression into uncharted territory, at least in my experience, both the LAND and Sands are unique in a good way. Most likely tuned by the same team or individual?
You're the third person who's recommended the Sands to me, so after all this time, you're figuring out my preferences. Cheers!

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #66,434 of 106,702

The simple square coil isn't supposed to do the job of any strong magnets. Other than as a weak electromagnet when current flows through it. The coil in the Celest still has an array of fixed magnets that it interacts with to move the flat (ie. planar) diaphragm.

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #66,435 of 106,702
Doesn't Campfire just say their stuff is designed and assembled in the US? I guess I'm an idiot, but I always thought there components were manufactured by OEMs in China and shipped here for assmebly, tuning, QC, etc. Does anyone know for sure?
Yes, I have researched CA, and while it has been disclosed that one full build of an IEM was done in its entirety in China, it’s not something easy to figure out. Same as Nobel Audio, they admit that while parts come from all over the world, often they are assembled in the USA.

This is a gray area that USA manufacturing does not easily disclose, and if they do, it’s still a play on words. Most stuff is made in China though, I will say that. If it has a final assembly in the USA is another story?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back