The discovery thread!
Jul 27, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #63,980 of 100,041
I recently acquired the Hidizs AP80 Pro X and have been trying various IEMs with great success including the KZ BA10, Geek Wold GK10, KBEAR Believe and TRI i3. Yesterday I tried the Fiio FD3 with a 2.5mm balanced cable and it was very impressive, especially in the bass. I am using the treble tubes and the bass tips. The AP80 Pro X seems to get the best out of a variety of IEMs.
Here is a link to my review on Audiosolace:
https://audiosolace.com/hidizs-ap80-pro-x-review/

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #63,981 of 100,041
I really like the Dioko for classical and jazz.

I'll be perfectly honest, listening to the Dioko was like having my third eye polished. Everything is presented so clean with an almost(!) unnatural resolution and exceptionally quick transients. DDs sound more natural but the Hifi side of me loves the detailing planar offers. I just wish the Dioko wasn't so subbass focused. A bit of midbass to add more weight and a hint of organic warmth would have sweetened the whole deal for me. Bass/kick drum has very little life or impact as it stands. Apart from that instrumentals are absolutely great.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #63,982 of 100,041
I'll be perfectly honest, listening to the Dioko was like having my third eye polished. Everything is presented so clean with an almost(!) unnatural resolution and exceptionally quick transients. DDs sound more natural but the Hifi side of me loves detailing Dioko offers. I just wish it wasn't so subbass focused. A bit of midbass to add more weight and a hint of organic warmth would have sweetened the whole deal for me. Bass/kick drum has very little life or impact as it stands. Apart from that instrumentals are absolutely great.
That’s unfortunately Crinikle’s preference. He likes sub-bass over mid-bass.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #63,983 of 100,041
I got Dioko few days ago, and so far it does not feel very agreeable to me.

I never considered myself treble-sensitive, yet the hiss (rather than sibilance) likely related to the 14-15 kHz peak feels a bit to much, especially while listening just to speech, as in Chesky demonstration disk.

The bass is too lean, which I also never thought would be a problem with me, I really liked the lean bass of HZ mirror for instance. Yet with the extreme sub-bass focus of Dioko, marimbas start to feel not wooden but plexiglassy (not bad plasticsy, yet not natural to my limited perception).

The resolution is decent, but many multi-BA IEMs are more resolving and clear to my ears.

I tried several DACs, while using the phone was so far the most acceptable by smoothening the treble.

While not agreeing with DIoko at the moment - a very revealing and insightful experience so far.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #63,984 of 100,041

I never considered myself treble-sensitive, yet the hiss (rather than sibilance) likely related to the 14-15 kHz peak feels a bit to much, especially while listening just to speech, as in Chesky demonstration disk.

The bass is too lean, which I also never thought would be a problem with me, I really liked the lean bass of HZ mirror for instance. Yet with the extreme sub-bass focus of Dioko, marimbas start to feel not wooden but plexiglassy (not bad plasticsy, yet not natural to my limited perception).

The resolution is decent, but many multi-BA IEMs are more resolving and clear to my ears.

I tried several DACs, while using the phone was so far the most acceptable by smoothening the treble.

While not agreeing with DIoko at the moment - a very revealing and insightful experience so far.
you might have gotten hit by one of the units with the wrong filter. Assuming you bought it weeks ago.
https://twitter.com/crinacle/status/1543098235933192193

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #63,985 of 100,041

I would agree with @RikudouGoku's comment above. Because I also have the Dioko with me that I received like two days back. It doesn't sound anything like what you have mentioned. For me, the biggest issue with Dioko is its fit. The strange oval shape doesn't cut it for me and I see myself adjusting them every 15-30 mins. Still in the process of tip rolling.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #63,986 of 100,041
you might have gotten hit by one of the units with the wrong filter. Assuming you bought it weeks ago.
https://twitter.com/crinacle/status/1543098235933192193
Not likely by the date, I ordered from AE, and it was shipped after the issue was declared resolved. Yet, anything can happen.
Some filters are surely there, the sensitivity is one of the lowest that I experienced.
I am very much tempted to remove the filters. I will eventually, right now I just explore the tuning.
I would agree with @RikudouGoku's comment above. Because I also have the Dioko with me that I received like two days back. It doesn't sound anything like what you have mentioned. For me, the biggest issue with Dioko is its fit. The strange oval shape doesn't cut it for me and I see myself adjusting them every 15-30 mins. Still in the process of tip rolling.
The tips are a very good point. I always use wide bores, similar to spiral dots. It may contribute to the enhancement of the perception.

Yet, again such treble-rich IEMs as A10/TP10/KB10 are enjoyable to me (with right recordings) with the same tips, different sensitivies, I guess, and also I hardly had any IEM with peaks above 12+ kHz. I may just need to train my non-audiophile ears :)

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #63,987 of 100,041
Jul 27, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #63,988 of 100,041
I recently acquired the Hidizs AP80 Pro X and have been trying various IEMs with great success including the KZ BA10, Geek Wold GK10, KBEAR Believe and TRI i3. Yesterday I tried the Fiio FD3 with a 2.5mm balanced cable and it was very impressive, especially in the bass. I am using the treble tubes and the bass tips. The AP80 Pro X seems to get the best out of a variety of IEMs.
Here is a link to my review on Audiosolace:
https://audiosolace.com/hidizs-ap80-pro-x-review/

I've also enjoyed the FD3 Pro using the 2.5mm balanced connector with my FH7 green tubes and Azla Sedna Light tips on the AP80 Pro X. The AP80 Pro X offers a nice contrast to my other sources. It has also officially retired my LG V30. I just don't like carrying two phones.

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #63,990 of 100,041
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-h50.25550/reviews#review-28946
6F2BAEC5-8F2F-43A5-8DF4-B584EEC7344C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back