The discovery thread!
Feb 11, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #61,758 of 106,203
Damn, why would Fiio release a miniature DAP for headphones and not earphones... why, oh why, oh why.
My Fiio X3 III is one of my favorite DAPs ever. It handles all IEM's like a champ. No AMP required.

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #61,759 of 106,203
My wife's iphone 6 ipod is a revelation!! Using my Fiio Q1 mk II with the lightning connector and the iphone, and just using 320 mp3's, the sound is as wide and 3D as any of my DAPs, and BIG SOUNDING. Just amazing sounds from an old ass phone ipod. Oh..i'm using the Timeless. WOW!

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #61,760 of 106,203
My Fiio X3 III is one of my favorite DAPs ever. It handles all IEM's like a champ. No AMP required.

Happy to see someone still rocking one!

The main issue is that FiiO did not produce any new good quality midrange DAP for a while, or even entry level one for that matter. They went for the big cheese and left the entire market that brought them popularity in the dust. All new FiiO releases are increasingly more expensive...

Feb 12, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #61,761 of 106,203
Happy to see someone still rocking one!

The main issue is that FiiO did not produce any new good quality midrange DAP for a while, or even entry level one for that matter. They went for the big cheese and left the entire market that brought them popularity in the dust. All new FiiO releases are increasingly more expensive...
You may have missed what Fiio was saying repeatedly over the last year and followed with their products: the lower-end DAPs are semi-dead now.
Simple dongles, such as Apple (ligtning/USB), just murder low- and mid-dap segments, so the only niche remaining is the higher-end DAPs.

On another note, it is hard to blame the reviewers cheerfully promoting whatever is sent to them. At the same time, don't blame people for ceasing to react to all these animated ads/promotions from all ever multiplying aspiring and "seasoned" reviewers. I stopped paying any attention to the reviews for more than a year and became much more successful and happier in my selections in ChiFi world :)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #61,762 of 106,203
You may have missed what Fiio was saying repeatedly over the last year and followed with their products: the lower-end DAPs are semi-dead now.
Simple dongles, such as Apple (ligtning/USB), just murder low- and mid-dap segments, so the only niche remaining is the higher-end DAPs.

On another note, it is hard to blame the reviewers cheerfully promoting whatever is sent to them. At the same time, don't blame people for ceasing to react to all these animated ads/promotions from all ever multiplying aspiring and "seasoned" reviewers. I stopped paying any attention to the reviews for more than a year and became much more successful and happier in my selections in ChiFi world :)

FiiO noted that the midrange and entry level DAP markets are not active, that is their take.

But look at HIDIZS and other companies, even Hiby. Look at this thread and other threads.

There is demand.

But they are not as profitable.

I always mention this, but when you have a backlog of reviewing 10 - 20 IEMs, all with photos needing editing, and having a website that needs care, cheerful and promotion are not the first things that come to mind...

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #61,765 of 106,203
FiiO noted that the midrange and entry level DAP markets are not active, that is their take.

But look at HIDIZS and other companies, even Hiby. Look at this thread and other threads.

There is demand.

But they are not as profitable.

I always mention this, but when you have a backlog of reviewing 10 - 20 IEMs, all with photos needing editing, and having a website that needs care, cheerful and promotion are not the first things that come to mind...
Right now, I've got my wife's old iphone 6 loaded with hi res and FLAC and with my Q1 II with lightning cable, it's better than any of my low to mid range DAPS. It's smashing them, so I totally believe what PhonoPhi is saying. I'm going to load some up on my iphone 12 pro and repeat, and if it's even a little more improved soundwise from my iphone 6, then most of my DAPS are rendered obsolete (I don't like using phones as DAPS, so not really, but you get what i'm saying).

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #61,766 of 106,203
Right now, I've got my wife's old iphone 6 loaded with hi res and FLAC and with my Q1 II with lightning cable, it's better than any of my low to mid range DAPS. It's smashing them, so I totally believe what PhonoPhi is saying. I'm going to load some up on my iphone 12 pro and repeat, and if it's even a little more improved soundwise from my iphone 6, then most of my DAPS are rendered obsolete (I don't like using phones as DAPS, so not really, but you get what i'm saying).
I know what you mean.

For me, though, what has potentially brought back DAPs in my thinking is the decision to remove SD card capability from most phones. While one can argue that a phone's onboard 256GB or 512GB covers virtually everyone's needs, I still don't like having to worry about storage, and maxing out what I store on my DAP frees me up from worrying about my phone. Also freeing up the phone from being connected to my earphones is also convenient.

Yeah, for me phone and dongle is the way to go IF I am not constrained by storage limitations.

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #61,767 of 106,203
Hello my fellow head-fier's...

I'm very interested to know if anyone here owns the HZSOUND Heart Mirror and the NiceHCK DB1 for a head-to-head comparison in the "sound" and "FR Graph?"

Thanks in advance for whosoever wants to take the initiative to compare both! :handshake:

-Clear

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #61,769 of 106,203
Feb 13, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #61,770 of 106,203
Lol I almost lost my marbles cuz I thought you were referring to a Shanling Q1 mkii and I just purchased their Q1. Do you have a comparison of the Q1 mkii and the Q3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back