The discovery thread!
Jan 17, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #61,456 of 100,564
Well, this might be a quite late post related to the year-end discussions about your personal discoveries. Mine will be similar to @Dsnuts 's post. A general observation throughout the year rather than mentioning a specific iem.

I tried to sell some of the IEMs in my collection to go even on higher-end price range. I'm in love with the every IEM in my collection. I love the opportunity to take one of them and listen to different type of music. Sometimes, I even do a random selection and go outside to take a walk. What I want to say is that it's really difficult for me to choose one od them and sell. As soon as I decide, thoughts are coming like 'but this one is good at...'.

Anyway, I decided to put Fearless Audio s4 on sale which is a full BA set carrying all the characteristics that you might expect from armature drivers. Slight BA timber, fast agile but not strong bass, good amount of technicalities, no air vent so might be a issue for some that pressure builds up but also a good isolated listening experiment. Not power-hungry at all, easily driven so I was using them on the really low volume levels.

You might question why I'm writing all this. I'll come to that point.

I've mentioned all of these in the ad. I sold second hand IEMs before but this one is a little expensive comparing to others. So, I was expecting the person to test it long before giving the money for it. So, a guy wrote and we met.

The way he was testing them literally disappointed me. Bending the cable brutally, trying to forcefully insert an IEM into his ear which has a slightly bigger shell. He didn't know what size of the tips to use. He was using much more expensive Astell&kern dap which made me think okay he has probably some experience. But no really. All the time complained about the bass and I told him again and again that he shouldn't expect the bass slam as he gets from a DD. I asked him if he's bass head and he even rejected. Another hurting point was that he literally topped the volume to hear the bass using bassy techno songs. Not any other genre whatsoever. I'm not judging the taste of any person but you shouldn't base your opinion only by sticking to one type. I told him to be careful those are easily run in low volume, he might damage the drivers on high volume. I even brought all of my tips to give him a better fit to hear the bass. All the time I was thinking he'll understand eventually so that made me patient but no. After all this brutal usage experience, he just left and gone.

I removed my ads along with the others and I decided to enjoy them until they last.

I realized that some people literally lack the knowledge. They're bass head but not aware they're. They're using such expensive DAPs or even IEMs but experience, educating your ears is sth else. Respecting your IEMs is also another point. I use all my devices gently but I have an emotional connection to my IEMs because they present the music I love with different varieties.

I'm not saying all people are like this. My criticism should go to those having the money, jumping on a higher levels and having the confidence of writing reviews, giving pros and cons. Imagine that guy writes a review about any iem and people see it, give up on buying...

Educating the ears, connecting the dots, every single aspect with the thoughts and words is sth different. Requires effort, reading, learning, experiencing...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #61,457 of 100,564
Well, this might be a quite late post related to the year-end discussions about your personal discoveries. Mine will be similar to @Dsnuts 's post. A general observation throughout the year rather than mentioning a specific iem.

I tried to sell some of the IEMs in my collection to go even on higher-end price range. I'm in love with the every IEM in my collection. I love the opportunity to take one of them and listen to different type of music. Sometimes, I even do a random selection and go outside to take a walk. What I want to say is that it's really difficult for me to choose one od them and sell. As soon as I decide, thoughts are coming like 'but this one is good at...'.

Anyway, I decided to put Fearless Audio s4 on sale which is a full BA set carrying all the characteristics that you might expect from armature drivers. Slight BA timber, fast agile but not strong bass, good amount of technicalities, no air vent so might be a issue for some that pressure builds up but also a good isolated listening experiment. Not power-hungry at all, easily driven so I was using them on the really low volume levels.

You might question why I'm writing all this. I'll come to that point.

I've mentioned all of these in the ad. I sold second hand IEMs before but this one is a little expensive comparing to others. So, I was expecting the person to test it long before giving the money for it. So, a guy wrote and we met.

The way he was testing them literally disappointed me. Bending the cable brutally, trying to forcefully insert an IEM into his ear which has a slightly bigger shell. He didn't know what size of the tips to use. He was using much more expensive Astell&kern dap which made me think okay he has probably some experience. But no really. All the time complained about the bass and I told him again and again that he shouldn't expect the bass slam as he gets from a DD. I asked him if he's bass head and he even rejected. Another hurting point was that he literally topped the volume to hear the bass using bassy techno songs. Not any other genre whatsoever. I'm not judging the taste of any person but you shouldn't base your opinion only by sticking to one type. I told him to be careful those are easily run in low volume, he might damage the drivers on high volume. I even brought all of my tips to give him a better fit to hear the bass. All the time I was thinking he'll understand eventually so that made me patient but no. After all this brutal usage experience, he just left and gone.

I removed my ads along with the others and I decided to enjoy them until they last.

I realized that some people literally lack the knowledge. They're bass head but not aware they're. They're using such expensive DAPs or even IEMs but experience, educating your ears is sth else. Respecting your IEMs is also another point. I use all my devices gently but I have an emotional connection to my IEMs because they present the music I love with different varieties.

I'm not saying all people are like this. My criticism should go to those having the money, jumping on a higher levels and having the confidence of writing reviews, giving pros and cons. Imagine that guy writes a review about any iem and people see it, give up on buying...

Educating the ears, connecting the dots, every single aspect with the thoughts and words is sth different. Requires effort, reading, learning, experiencing...
"Gymer detected, Gymer detected"

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #61,460 of 100,564
I have the TFZ King Exclusive and it's NOT a bassy IEM. Just the opposite. It's a peaky treble head IEM with bass taking the backseat, so not all of them are basshead IEMs.

Thank you, I really didn't know about it. I may have had to review most of the TFZs with enhanced bass. At least that trend is changing.

And speaking of more balanced profiles. Today I got the Dunu Titan S and I was looking forward to try them. And I think Dunu treats their products very well. Despite their particular design, I really like the Titan S, they seem a bit higher in price. And their packaging is premium, other brands should take into account what you can do for 80$. The case is distinctive, my wife wanted to use it as her purse! I had to take the idea away from her, but it cost me.
As for the sound, I can see it's a twist on a profile I've been reviewing a lot lately. Without going any further, there are similarities with the Ikko OH2. I can't deny that the slight emphasis on sub bass and a bit more treble is very welcome. It's still a very musical set, with good detail and space.

2022-01-17_174908.png

Dunu Titan S vs Ikko OH2.png

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #61,461 of 100,564
Thank you, I really didn't know about it. I may have had to review most of the TFZs with enhanced bass. At least that trend is changing.
Not really. King Exclusive is from 2017 and more a one off than a trend. :)

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #61,462 of 100,564
Not really. King Exclusive is from 2017 and more a one off than a trend. :)
By trend change I mean the My Love IV and T2 Pro models... So that was a mirage? hahaha.
Well, we'll wait a few weeks, to see if I get the Tequila Pro, to see if there's a change or if it's just another turn of the screw.

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #61,463 of 100,564
I have actually turned the TFZ Series 2 into my daily driver/at work set, on a NiceHCK cable with a mic. I use it all day long for video meetings and then also listening to music during the day between meetings. They're punchy but fairly balanced, nice mids and vocals. Their plastic shells are very lightweight and comfortable. I got them new from Amazon for $10 when just the green color was on sale for that price once for some reason. Probably the best bargain I've ever bought.

So they can do a good job with a more neutral tuning when they want to. I also got out my other TFZ sets after enjoying the Series 2 again. I found the No. 3 fairly unpleasant. I put a lot of hours on my No. 3 a couple of years ago, but now it just seems cold, shouty, with an effective but clinical bass thump. The T2 Galaxy are fun though, warm signature without overdoing the V shape, and a pretty big sound stage for the price.

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #61,464 of 100,564
I have looked at some TFZs and read your considerations about the brand and you are right in your comments.
I am not saying anything new if I say that TFZ bass are their reference and have a special sonority. In my opinion they don't sound like the bass of NF Audio NA2 NM2, even Ikko, with their OH10. The Live X model has a more emphatic bass and has a speed similar to the cheaper models I am talking about. But the sonority is different, as is the tuning.
I also have the Tequila 1's, which were not so focused on the sub-bass and were open. It seems that the new Tequilas are closed, so that advantage over the soundstage could be lost.

In my opinion, TFZ should improve in technical aspects, even from the bass. I think they are getting better and better in this aspect, but they should improve the integration with the rest of the bands, not polarising their tunings so much in those sets with a clear emphasis on bass. I would like a tuning not so much in V in those next Tequila Pro, with closer mids and some more treble extension, without the classic treble cut for control. Plus an improvement in their analytical capabilities.
There is some of that in their cheaper ranges and I reviewed the My Love IV with surprise, for its frequency response (I'd forget its capsule design). It is clear that it is not a bass-head set, but more focused on midrange and treble, but preserving quality in the bass. They still need to improve technically.

But recently they have tried again, with a more economical set, which can be bought with only its capsules for 35$, called TFZ T2 Pro. This one follows a very similar line to the My Love IV (with a slightly more normal capsule) and a slightly different tuning in the mid to treble transition.
I will write a review soon, just as I hope to review the TFZ Tequila Pro.

I'm not trying to justify TFZ, I'm just explaining their status based on my own experience.

Woow, seems the recent tuning progression is pretty good.

I havent tried another tfz ever since i bought their tfz king pro.

Tfz "pricy" Status get them slaughtered ny kz/cca in my local market. Not to mention moondrop, ibasso, and others enroaching their market segment.

Not to mention king 3 and queen 2 have lack luster review

It was bad enough that the local official store is basically dead and just waiting till all of their remaining stock is sold.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #61,465 of 100,564
Noodle thin cable aside (I agree), I don't think most students are interested to buy an additional amp (which is probably more expensive than this IEM itself) just to power it sufficiently
It's gonna last exactly one day in my bag for sure and then done for 🤣🤣🤣

And sviga sv021 fits in clear case 😁
20220117_091123_HDR.jpg

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #61,466 of 100,564
E500 but turquoise :)

Is it confirmed a rebranded E500?

I bought a Final E500 recently (bought it for the Final E eartips actually, since the tips are like 15 bucks and the IEM itself is $20 in total). In audiophile calculations, the IEM costs $5 only hahaha.

Music wise, the E500 is quite meh, but it excels at binural tracks. Soundstage and imaging is very good for the coin, they also excel at videos and movies, rather than music tracks per se.

Although a potential deal-breaker is the crap noodle-thin non detachable microphonic cable. Even tapping the amp it is connected to will transmit cable noise zzzzz. I guess one can't complain for the price, as even their higher end E3000 uses a similarly crap cable.

I would recommend them for gaming and videos rather than music (unless you have binural tracks).

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #61,467 of 100,564
Is it confirmed a rebranded E500?

I bought a Final E500 recently (bought it for the Final E eartips actually, since the tips are like 15 bucks and the IEM itself is $20 in total). In audiophile calculations, the IEM costs $5 only hahaha.

Music wise, the E500 is quite meh, but it excels at binural tracks. Soundstage and imaging is very good for the coin, they also excel at videos and movies, rather than music tracks per se.

Although a potential deal-breaker is the crap noodle-thin non detachable microphonic cable. Even tapping the amp it is connected to will transmit cable noise zzzzz. I guess one can't complain for the price, as even their higher end E3000 uses a similarly crap cable.

I would recommend them for gaming and videos rather than music (unless you have binural tracks).
I was going off of the published specs (98dB/mW sensitivity) which matches only the E500. The similar looking E1000 has a 102dB/mW sensitivity.

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #61,468 of 100,564
Peek-a-boo

20220118_135028.jpg

634EARS LOAK-T(CL) Cocobolo

Rear housing Stainless Steel
Front housing Titanium
Backplate Cocobolo Wood
10 mm DD, PU diaphragm (probably)

Flagship iem of 634EARS, B stock hence got for quite cheap. Also traded my SARN-II for about 80% of SARN-II value, so got a nice deal. To my ears, absolutely worth it. Very similar to Dunu Zen performance, a tad bit less bass slam, but much more organic mid (Zen mid felt a bit dry), and a bit more energetic and extended treble.

Frankly, I'm a happy camper with it. My nirvana lies in single DD, I can feel it.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #61,469 of 100,564
I am always really happy to help!

7Hz Timeless is an odd one, very good bass, nice overall impact, not very natural midrange. If you like RE800 Silver, you may like Timeless, but they won't be as fun in the mids, but more fun in the lows :)

Hello George,
Is Fiio BTR5 able to drive RE800 silver ?
Also can RE800 be plugged in the BTR5 symetric output (with adapter) ?

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #61,470 of 100,564
Hello George,
Is Fiio BTR5 able to drive RE800 silver ?
Also can RE800 be plugged in the BTR5 symetric output (with adapter) ?

Hiii, it should be able to, but the difference in quality compared to some better sources will be noticeable.

BTR5 is good, but not exactly perfect, I would recommend hip-dac2 instead, or something with more punch and power, also with more detail, if you want to get the best out of re800silver.

Re800 silver has a single ended cable, you cannot use a balanced to single ended adapter in general, because you would be shorting the input signal, and it would burn the source. You would need to recable it to use the balanced output, or have the variant with the detachable cables and have a balanced cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back