The discovery thread!
Jan 19, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #61,471 of 99,651
Hiii, it should be able to, but the difference in quality compared to some better sources will be noticeable.

BTR5 is good, but not exactly perfect, I would recommend hip-dac2 instead, or something with more punch and power, also with more detail, if you want to get the best out of re800silver.

Re800 silver has a single ended cable, you cannot use a balanced to single ended adapter in general, because you would be shorting the input signal, and it would burn the source. You would need to recable it to use the balanced output, or have the variant with the detachable cables and have a balanced cable.

Thank you for your answer.

I have just ordered RE800s direct from Hifiman, hip-dac2 seems very nice but finally I’ll pair RE800s with ifi go blu dongle which has 2x more power than BTR5 (I want a convenient and very light solution).

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #61,473 of 99,651
If any of you had to buy three iems made available in 2022 regardless of price and the iems had to be quality (you believe most people would like), what would those 3 iems be at this point in 2022?
It's only been a little more than two weeks.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #61,475 of 99,651
If any of you had to buy three iems made available in 2022 regardless of price and the iems had to be quality (you believe most people would like), what would those 3 iems be at this point in 2022?
It might be a good idea to wait for the results of the Members Poll, which has just finished. That covers all IEMs up to the end of 2021. It's only January 19 so there have not been very many released so far this year!

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #61,477 of 99,651
If a huge soundstage, amazing clarity, outstanding detail, and all at an entry-level towards midrange bracket are your things, then DUNU has something really nifty in store for you with their Falcon Pro IEMS!

Those get to replace all of the previous Dunu models that I heard in what I consider to be the most ergonomic IEM they released to date, still with that detailed, dynamic and punchy sound that Dunu shared with their previous IEMs!

Don't worry, I didn't let them slide, so I took the time to compare the Dunu PRO with much of the heated competition around the price point, so if you're looking for a high quality IEM, I hope my full written review is fun to dig in!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2022/01/dunu-falcon-pro-prime-performer-music-reformer.html

Dunu-Falcon-Pro-Chinese-Chifi-IEMS-Earphones-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-28.jpg

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #61,479 of 99,651
This one features Full MQA decoding
I wonder how much they had to pay per unit to license that voodoo. What is the MQA tax?

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #61,481 of 99,651
Thank you for your answer.

I have just ordered RE800s direct from Hifiman, hip-dac2 seems very nice but finally I’ll pair RE800s with ifi go blu dongle which has 2x more power than BTR5 (I want a convenient and very light solution).
i absolutely LOVE my RE800 silver's. One of my favorites from day one. I can't even explain why? I just do. The sound makes me happy.

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #61,482 of 99,651
Hot on the heals of last year's Geek Wold GK10 craze, we now have the GK80!

GKL80 02.jpg
GKL80 01.jpg

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #61,483 of 99,651
1642656227245.png

GK80. After going through several revisions. Cus a GK10MK2 was not good enough. These are an entirely new model. It is a tribrid using the same housing. Different drivers using an 8mm Graphene plated dynamic for mids and lows + Single BA for treble + dual piezoceramic tweeters. Sound quality is clearly improved from the GK10. If you were never a fan of the GK10 then I would pass but if you heard their potential and are curious to hear a new Geek Wold tribrid that don't cost much. This time around they come with a very basic cable. ( ISN G4 shown in pic) So just about anything you own 2 pin wise will be an upgrade from the pack in cable.

Mids have greater body, sound has more depth with better stage imo. A meatier sound as a result. Treble has a silkier tonal quality. Bass being graphene comes alive when called upon. Music sounds smoother with better cohesion, shows good technical chops for the price and best of all sounds musical. I hope they finally got the QC issues ironed out. These are a clear upgrade on the GK10.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #61,484 of 99,651
1642656227245.png

GK80. After going through several revisions. Cus a GK10MK2 was not good enough. These are an entirely new model. It is a tribrid using the same housing. Different drivers using an 8mm Graphene plated dynamic for mids and lows + Single BA for treble + dual piezoceramic tweeters. Sound quality is clearly improved from the GK10. If you were never a fan of the GK10 then I would pass but if you heard their potential and are curious to hear a new Geek Wold tribrid that don't cost much. This time around they come with a very basic cable. ( ISN G4 shown in pic) So just about anything you own 2 pin wise will be an upgrade from the pack in cable.

Mids have greater body, sound has more depth with better stage imo. A meatier sound as a result. Treble has a silkier tonal quality. Bass being titanium comes alive when called upon. Music sounds smoother with better cohesion, shows good technical chops for the price and best of all sounds musical. I hope they finally got the QC issues ironed out. These are a clear upgrade on the GK10.
I was just listening to my GK10 on my Opus #3, and they just don't have that zing. The bloated yet recessed mids lose the plot, but I might give the GK80 a chance?

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #61,485 of 99,651
There will be more impressions of them soon. 8 ohm impedance will make them sound all over the place depending on your source, but they are much improved from the GK10 none the less. Been using them like this lately.
1642658492278.png

Sound fantastic with Fiios UTWS5. Makes for a nice sounding unit for walks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back