The discovery thread!
Jan 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #6,121 of 105,894
How good are those Somics?  What are their strengths?  What are their sound flaws?

No headphones are good or bad because of their price.  They are what they are and I was waiting on some more impressions on those Somics.  The guidance from the listener is distorted, when he/she says "they are good for their price."  That does not say anything about their sound quality.  Also, our ears don't work like that.  They don't say:  "Oh these don't sound very good.  But, since they are very cheap then we will be extremely happy with them."  Our ears don't work like that.  If they did, we would not be here on this thread by now. HA, HA.

We have to make peace with both, our ears and our wallets.  So, we want the best bang for the buck or a good bang for the buck after our ears are satisfied, and only after they are satisfied.  If we get the best bang for the buck before then, we will be spending more money real soon on something better.  What a waste of effort and money, even if we end up selling what we first got.  Let's see if these ATHs get our ears satisfied.  We will be fortunate if they do.  For a little over $200?  I would call that a bargain.  If the $40 Somics do it, I would call that a miracle.  I am open to miracles.  Let them be.  I would be quite happy with a bargain, too.  Let it be.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #6,122 of 105,894
Okay, I'm just going to assume that the CKN50 isn't a CNT driver until I can find a thread again that says otherwise. Doesn't matter to me anyway as the CKN50 sounds fantastic to my ears (just poor quality cord and all). 

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #6,123 of 105,894
Man...
Does someone have both the Somics and the AD900X?
I wanna know whether those $40 somics are really any good.
I'm on the hunt for some new headphones too after my beloved HTF 600s broke :frowning2:
and I love my bass :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #6,126 of 105,894
Here you have more info on the Somic MH463:

http://www.amazon.com/SOMIC-MH463-3-5-Dynamic-Headphone/dp/B00AAEKEA2

http://www.head-fi.org/products/somic-hd-mh463-open-air-dynamic-pro-headphones-black/reviews

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #6,127 of 105,894
Quote:
Don't be sorry.  You ought to read what I just wrote at (or to) Dsnuts.  Please, keep me updated and answer my questions.  With your help I should soon find out if these are the right upgrade to what I have now.  And here I go with my next question.

Are these better than the HE-400 for EDM music?

One headphone for all genres will have to be the AD900X Alberto.  But for EDM music, I'd choose the HE400 because it has more bass.  It has good sub-bass extension and has more mid-bass lift over the AD900X.  The treble has more peak over the AD900X's as well but the AD900X's are smoother.  
Quote:
Which is the better sounding overall? FXZ200 or AD900X?

I would give the nod to AD900X.  

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #6,128 of 105,894
I'm looking to purchase a set of open cans and I'm seriously tempted by the AD900X. How are they for rock and jpop compared to the HD650's? Is there enough of a difference between them and the A900X (which I currently have) to justify the purchase?

If possible I'm looking for a AD900X owner who wants to (temporarily) trade with my A900X so we could audition them both. If anybody's interested let me know.
beyersmile.png

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #6,129 of 105,894
So I see that folks are catching on to the Somics.

Excellent.

But folks, you're looking at the wrong model.

This is the better of the two.

I just found out that Shure SRH-840 pads fit the EFi 82 MT. I put 'em on, and listened to some of my favorite tunes.

This is what I learned about some of my favorite songs:

1. Florence + The Machine - Spectrum: Florence has a ping-pong delay on her vocals throughout the track. 
  2. Il Volo- Beautiful Day: There's a strange click at the 0:06 mark.
  3. Flobots- Handlebars (I like their other stuff too): The violin is panned about 90% right for the whole song, but changes to the left side in the third verse.
  4. Kanye West (in general): Kanye West has some really cramped sounding mixes.
  5. Macy Gray- I Try: The vocals in the chorus are multiple takes, with every take hard-panned left or right.
  6. Ellie Goulding- Lights: The vocals in the chorus are stacked, with one take one octave below the other
  7. Fun. - Some Nights: There's a really cool snare roll at the :45 mark.
  8. Imagine Dragons - It's Time: There's one more clap than I thought there was in the main rhythm pattern, and there are some snaps too.

Just when I thought I knew my favorite songs...the EFi-82 MT comes around as says, "LOL! NO YOU DON'T! THIS IS WHAT THEY REALLY ARE!"

I don't have the experience with high-end headphones to say that these things are better than $500+ headphones, but I have enough experience with FOTMs and the typical overacheiving budget-fi sets to say this: this is not a "midrange" headphone. This isn't a Superlux, or an HA-S, or a Jaycar.

No.

This is quite a bit bigger than that.

Here's a link to the thread I just started on them.

S
adly, they're not on eBay anymore, but I'm sure with enough Head-Fi support, I could message a seller and let them know of the newfound interest in this formerly obscure model.

Alberto, you put it best. There is no such thing as "good for the price" in my book either.

These are not "poor man's" anything.

They're just amazing headphones.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #6,130 of 105,894
Quote:

The FXZ200 has the bass end being more of the headliner in the sound as they have a sub woofer. It is a great sounding earphone and one I enjoy quite a bit so I suppose it has to do with if your a bass guy or a stage guy. What I mean is. the AD900X has this crazy sound stage and air you can't possibly get from in ears. No possible way. The widest sounding earphone will not come close. The scale and scope of sound we are talking about is on a complete other level here. Both are very enjoyable for different reasons. The FXZ200 is an excellent earphone. The AD900X is an excellent open headphone. To me the higher end SQ is with the AD900X. But that is because I listen to just about everything..The FXZ200 is less versatile and does not have the scope of sound that is achieved in these headphones. Also these are fully open meaning. It has like 40% plus sound leakage. Whomever your in the room with while listening to these will be able to hear what your hearing. So one has to take that into consideration. These are clearly for in home use..  The FXZ200 has no sound leakage as they are in ears. And you can easily walk around with them and enjoy them outdoors. So positives and negatives aside SQ on the AD900X for vocals rock jazz and instruments is on another tier of sound. Imagine the best imagery in an earphone but then add about 5X the sound stage and you might get the idea here.

Quote:
I'm looking to purchase a set of open cans and I'm seriously tempted by the AD900X. How are they for rock and jpop compared to the HD650's? Is there enough of a difference between them and the A900X (which I currently have) to justify the purchase?

If possible I'm looking for a AD900X owner who wants to (temporarily) trade with my A900X so we could audition them both. If anybody's interested let me know.
beyersmile.png

These are the best cans for ROCK I have ever heard. Seriously I know Grados are traditionally what guys use for rock but nothing sounds better for me than these AD900X for Rock. I own both the A900X and AD900X. With absolute no hesitation I can recommend the AD900X.. It is a nice upgrade in sound because of the added depth stage and air these open cans represent. These have less bass than the A900X but that is to be expected. But imagine your A900X with a wider stage with impeccable balance and detail in your sound and that is what the AD900X represent.

Female vocals as well as male vocals is the best sounding out of these cans over anything else I have. Vocal fans should take note.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #6,131 of 105,894
Quote:

Quote:
The FXZ200 has the bass end being more of the headliner in the sound as they have a sub woofer. It is a great sounding earphone and one I enjoy quite a bit so I suppose it has to do with if your a bass guy or a stage guy. What I mean is. the AD900X has this crazy sound stage and air you can't possibly get from in ears. No possible way. The widest sounding earphone will not come close. The scale and scope of sound we are talking about is on a complete other level here. Both are very enjoyable for different reasons. The FXZ200 is an excellent earphone. The AD900X is an excellent open headphone. To me the higher end SQ is with the AD900X. But that is because I listen to just about everything..The FXZ200 is less versatile and does not have the scope of sound that is achieved in these headphones. Also these are fully open meaning. It has like 40% plus sound leakage. Whomever your in the room with while listening to these will be able to hear what your hearing. So one has to take that into consideration. These are clearly for in home use..  The FXZ200 has no sound leakage as they are in ears. And you can easily walk around with them and enjoy them outdoors. So positives and negatives aside SQ on the AD900X for vocals rock jazz and instruments is on another tier of sound. Imagine the best imagery in an earphone but then add about 5X the sound stage and you might get the idea here.

These are the best cans for ROCK I have ever heard. Seriously I know Grados are traditionally what guys use for rock but nothing sounds better for me than these AD900X for Rock. I own both the A900X and AD900X. With absolute no hesitation I can recommend the AD900X.. It is a nice upgrade in sound because of the added depth stage and air these open cans represent. These have less bass than the A900X but that is to be expected. But imagine your A900X with a wider stage with impeccable balance and detail in your sound and that is what the AD900X represent.

Female vocals as well as male vocals is the best sounding out of these cans over anything else I have. Vocal fans should take note.

Thanks guys. Hmm..based on your impressions I guess I would probably prefer the FXZ200's then as I have portable use in mind and I'm a big fan of bass. I'm looking for a true upgrade to my S500's so it seems the FXZ200's are the ones for me. I'll hang fire a little as I want to see people's impressions of the CKN70's first.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #6,132 of 105,894
Quote:
Quote:
Don't be sorry.  You ought to read what I just wrote at (or to) Dsnuts.  Please, keep me updated and answer my questions.  With your help I should soon find out if these are the right upgrade to what I have now.  And here I go with my next question.

Are these better than the HE-400 for EDM music?

One headphone for all genres will have to be the AD900X Alberto.  But for EDM music, I'd choose the HE400 because it has more bass.  It has good sub-bass extension and has more mid-bass lift over the AD900X.  The treble has more peak over the AD900X's as well but the AD900X's are smoother.  
Quote:

OK.  I expected that answer regarding the HE-400 vs AD900X for EDM stuff.  This makes the decision tough for bass lovers.

Two questions here:

1)  What is better on the HE-500 over the AD900X and vice versa?

2)  Which one do you like better for EDM music, the FXZ200 or the HE-400?

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #6,133 of 105,894
Would like some feedback from the guys that have the AD900X!  If you could improve the sound of these to be better, what would you change....more bass?  more treble?  better extension on either end?  I am going to be ordering wire for a replacement cable on mine when they arrive, so these impressions would be helpful for the type of wire I use.  Copper, spc and pure silver can change some of these things for the better.....so I need critical listening feedback!

For example, a silver copper hybrid cable, two pure silver wires for signal, two copper wires for ground, would give a smoother warmer sound with more bass!

Pure silver all four wires would give better detail, more treble and stronger tighter bass!

SPC wire, silver plated copper, would give more detail to the higher end, more extension in the highs, but probably less bass!

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #6,135 of 105,894
That silver copper hybrid looks like a good fit for these cans. Though I have to tell you cute you should hear the cans first but if I was to choose one it would be that one. These to me sound just right. I suppose if you can add some warmth to the sound and touch more bass that would be optimal for the sound these have..A detailed sound with a touch of warmth would be optimal me thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back