The discovery thread!
May 9, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #56,356 of 100,767
A0E299A0-A0AC-4B0F-BCB7-A135EEDDFEE1.jpeg

I quite like my resin but it required some modding to be enjoyable

May 9, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #56,359 of 100,767
Can you show us some PIC's of the NM2 and the NM2+ side to side?
Thanks in advance! :wink:
Sure! But I have to wait until I got it back, can you please remind me if I didn’t.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #56,360 of 100,767
May 9, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #56,361 of 100,767
May 9, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #56,363 of 100,767
May 9, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #56,365 of 100,767
It looks like the difference between the two are the drivers they are using. I bet those dont have the bass performance of the SG-03. Titanium plated dynamics are exceptional at low bass. PET will be good but not the same as the SG-03. It does look like these two earphones come from the same OEM but the SG-03 was made for Reecho.

How I understand OEM ordering is you get to choose which driver you want and with what tuning. One of the reviewers on that amazon page says it is harmonish tuning. The sub bass performance of the SG-03 has nothing to do with harmonish. It is most definitely elevated. Not one of them mention how good the bass is on that unit. Might have similar tuning to the SG-03 and should have some punchy bass but if I was a guessing man what will separate the SG-03 to the Campur will be that sub bass performance.
Good point about the drivers. My experience with titanium coated drivers has been with some of the strongest bass response. With the stock tips (and tips like the Acoustune AET07/AET07a "Sound focusing wide-range clarity") I would call the Deep Blue neutral. To bring out the bass, I'm using the New Bee silicone eartips (which are similar to the Acoustune AET08a "Sound focussing on bass reverb", except the New Bee emphasize the bass a little less). I can't use bass emphasizing ear tips on a lot of IEMs, but for me, the Deep Blue + New Bee eartips are a goldilocks sound signature. They don't unseat the TRI I3, since they lack the deep sub-bass and phenomenal mids that the I3 brings (with good amping), but otherwise the Deep Blue are very good, and they are lighter and therefore more comfortable in my ear than the I3, so they each have their place.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #56,366 of 100,767
I think I saw "TWFK" in the product description, that is likely to be Knowles.

May 9, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #56,367 of 100,767
IMG_20210505_143643.jpg

Just pulled those open heart metal IEM from burn-in to give them a listen.

IMG_20210505_143919.jpg

Housings are comfortable, if heavy for their size. I ended up putting some foam TWS tips meant for air pod pro's on them for a better fit.

IMG_20210505_143938.jpg

They live up to their listing as warm and bass heavy. Unfortunately they are also (IMO) a bit muddy sounding. Had to remove about 9-10db with EQ in the low end, for my preferences. Resolution/detail is somewhat lacking and treble is rolled off. Not really recommended.

Dug around specifications on AE to find the model # of these, which is OH770.

Also spent last night updating and fixing my laptop, which somehow 'lost' or broke its audio and graphics drivers... while left untouched for a week. WTH Win 10.

Anyways, now that the audio drivers are working I was able to grab some measurements (Vinyl coupler, TC35B & IMM-6).
Openheart OH770 (metal teardrop IEM).jpg

Here's a comparison vs an MH750.
Openheart OH770 vs Sony MH750.jpg

May 9, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #56,368 of 100,767

Moondrop Aria 2020​

Unboxing and First Impressions​

Moondrop Aria (2020) is their latest single-dynamic budget offering, priced at $80. This places them in-between the Moondrop SSR/SSP duo and the Moondrop Starfield. Moondrop did have another model named Aria, but that's been long discontinued.

Build: Moondrop didn't exactly reuse the KXXS shell here (unlike on Starfield). The build is solid and the housing has a soft-touch finish though I wonder how long it'll last. Everything is well put together and the IEMs have a nice design. There's a 10mm LCP diaphragm driver inside which is an interesting material.

IMG_0035.jpg

Comfort: Very comfortable while wearing with above-average noise isolation.

Accessories: The box is typical Moondrop anime-art affair. Among the accessories, the carry case is good and the cable is decent (definite upgrade over the Starfield cable). The stock tips also worked well for me. Additionally you get spare nozzle filters and mesh, and a tweezer to replace those.

IMG_0030.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg

For the sound impression below, I used the stock cable + tips and Sony NW-A55.

Sound:
Before going forward with sound impressions I must say that Moondrop recommends 100 hrs of burn-in. While burn-in is true or not is a different debate entirely but I'll just do the honors. It's also an efficient IEM and can be powered easily by budget dongles.

The general sound signature is the typical Harman-ish signature from Moondrop. The graph looks similar to that of the Moondrop Starfield but the presentation is quite different.

Firstly, the Moondrop Aria has very good bass which is tighter and faster than the Starfield bass. The lower-mids are also more recessed than the Starfield (male vocals sound more distant). This isn't recession in fact, rather the male vocals are slightly laid-back. I really like how they portray string instruments. There's a hint of warmth that really helps with the timbre (which is quite natural to my ears). Cymbals/hi-hats, though, not so much. There's an upper-treble peak that makes heavy metal/metal tracks kinda fatiguing after a while.

Soundstage is closed-in and doesn't have a lot of depth. In this regard it's a minor upgrade on Starfield. However, imaging is better on the Aria and therefore you get a better sense of separation. I do find the Moondrop Aria (2020) congested during busy passages. Won't call it a highly technical performer.

In short, I prefer the Moondrop Aria 2020 over the Moondrop Starfield/SSR/SSP. I will listen to it for a while longer and then report back with a more detailed review.

May 10, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #56,369 of 100,767
Just ordered so-called upgraded final E500; VR3000 to see if the statement is right. E500 was quite a shock from $20 something IEM to present great positioning and sense of diffusion field neutrality. Will post impression of VR3000 upon arrival&post burn in.

May 10, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #56,370 of 100,767

Users who are viewing this thread

Back