The discovery thread!
May 8, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #56,341 of 101,375
Thanks for asking this. For me it's one of the most important questions about any IEM. I've always known that poorly vented IEMs create a very uncomfortable sensation in my ears. I've written comments about this in the past, but it's only more recently that I've realized just how far reaching the effects are for me.

Basically, I've concluded that I simply can't use IEMs that aren't sufficiently vented. Those sealed all BA IEMs, for example, don't work for me. And I've discovered that if a dynamic driver based IEM isn't sufficiently vented it's even worse.

This problem goes beyond just being "uncomfortable". It actually causes pain and irritation in my nervous system. It's hard to explain, and it took me a long time to fully realize what was going on, but numerous IEMs in my collection that simply didn't sound good to me, despite objectively having many of the qualities I would normally appreciate, sound "bad" due to this effect.

When I just try to focus very analytically on the sound attributes of these IEMs I am able to notice that they don't really sound bad in terms of the normal attributes we tend to judge earphones by. I 'perceive' them as sounding bad or unpleasant due to the discomfort or pain they are causing in my inner ear and nervous system.

In the past I would always try to convince myself that it was this attribute or that attribute of the IEM that made me not like its sound, but I've since realized what the real problem was.

The question I have is, does anyone else suffer from this issue? Do I just have unusual or defective ears? Many of the IEMs that give me problems seem to have great popularity and are well-liked. I haven't really noticed many other people complaining about this issue and when they do it's usually just in terms of fit or comfort in the ears. It's a much deeper and more significant issue for me. If any of you have experienced what I just described please speak up and share your thoughts.
There are a few on the forum with this issue. FWIW, I also have tinnitus.

FiiO has pressure-relieving systems for the FD1, FH1s, FD5, and FH5s. My SeeAudio Yume, Penon Globe, and DK-2001 are easy on my ears with no pressure issues.

May 8, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #56,342 of 101,375
@Viajero @BubisUK @nraymond

I find that is a problem for me with silicone tips. So I now only use foam ones.

It's like my ear canals are a pressure chamber with silicone tips and any movement causes slight changes which my ear drums picks up, which changes comfort and the sound I'm hearing (as the ear drum is 'loaded' differently).

May 8, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #56,343 of 101,375
The Shozy Form 1.1 and the KZ ZAX both have a ton of venting. The LZ A7 is also well vented.

May 8, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #56,344 of 101,375
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/reecho-sg-03.25114/reviews#review-25833 Your weekend reader. DSC08061.JPG

Reecho SG-03. SG stands for Star Gate. Your about to take off into an unknown bass territory for earphones at this price. These are more than good they are probably the best dynamic bass earphones in the sub $100 category. What is really surprising is they have really good technical chops to go with it actually having some mids and a detailed treble end to boot.

As for bass. Sub bass rumble on these are insane at $69 gets you a lot of earphone now a days and these are proof positive you can get quality at this price. Looking forward to the fellas that bought these, what you all have to say. These are gonna surprise a lot of people.
Are these the same? No, the geometry is different, but they look close.
1620520556849.jpeg

May 8, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #56,346 of 101,375
Are these the same? No, the geometry is different, but they look close.
1620520556849.jpeg
I bought the Canpur Deep Blue from Amazon recently and would describe them very similarly to how the SG-03 has been described (with the exception being that the Canpur stock tips weren't that great). The Deep Blue are one of the best under $100 pairs of earphones I've heard.

May 8, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #56,347 of 101,375
I bought the Canpur Deep Blue from Amazon recently and would describe them very similarly to how the SG-03 has been described (with the exception being that the Canpur stock tips weren't that great). The Deep Blue are one of the best under $100 pairs of earphones I've heard.
That‘s quite a deal, for less than $40 currently on Amazon, but it doesn’t have the same driver of the SG-03.

BFE84316-2470-4A1A-B82D-A83BBDAB6F69.jpeg
B58CC8BD-0992-4FD2-89A0-5DB2B4B089C6.jpeg

May 8, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #56,348 of 101,375
It looks like the difference between the two are the drivers they are using. I bet those dont have the bass performance of the SG-03. Titanium plated dynamics are exceptional at low bass. PET will be good but not the same as the SG-03. It does look like these two earphones come from the same OEM but the SG-03 was made for Reecho.

How I understand OEM ordering is you get to choose which driver you want and with what tuning. One of the reviewers on that amazon page says it is harmonish tuning. The sub bass performance of the SG-03 has nothing to do with harmonish. It is most definitely elevated. Not one of them mention how good the bass is on that unit. Might have similar tuning to the SG-03 and should have some punchy bass but if I was a guessing man what will separate the SG-03 to the Campur will be that sub bass performance.

May 8, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #56,349 of 101,375
Hi guys, during the holiday I have been listened to few IEMs, here is some of my early impression.

NF audio NM2
C38C9A9B-B37A-4CB1-A445-1B3A4421ED4C.jpeg

Being the owner of the NM2+, I have to say, in term of tonality, I love the NM2 more. The NM2 sound more balanced with more relaxing top end. The upper midrange in NM2 sound lively yet defined, where the NM2+ can be aggressive sometimes. In term of build and accessories, the NM2 really stand out for its cool package, and rich accessories. The overall tonality on NM2 is just solid done mildly U/W shape. The low is tight and super clear, midrange remaining the clear tone with tad of warmth, treble is smooth and with good levels of energy, it has pretty deep and wide soundstage, the imaging is 3D holographic, which is decently done for sub$100 dollars price range, it is the best sub$100 dollars IEMs, in term of every aspects in my opinion.

Shangling ME80
86DDFF07-A5A8-4D20-8BE0-07F33DF70FF6.jpeg

The ME80 the also the sub $100 dollars IEMs. The build and accessories wise, it is great for its price range. The ME80 can be describe as neutral bright IEMs, where the upper midrange and treble are both emphasis, which mean is not the most balanced IEMs. The ME80 has clear and pretty neutral tone. The low is close to lean and with reduced bodies, the leaner continue to the lower midrange, where the upper midrange are forwarded and vividly, moving on to the treble, the treble is tuned bright with crispiness in the top end, I do find out the treble could cause fatiguing for some track. The soundstage depth is average, width is alright, imaging is good enough. Overall, it is pretty solid in term of detail and transition speed, and somehow interesting tonality, But I don’t think it stand out in the crowded sub$100 dollars market.

BQEYZ Summer
C109F15E-27F4-4B57-9061-66788F68D657.jpeg

The BQEYZ Summer is $139 dollars IEMs, for this price range, I would like to see the better design of the shell, but anyway it depends on your preference, and it come with really nice cabe. Moving on to the sound, being the owner of the Spring1, I think the Summer improve the overall bass quality, and added a bit of warmth to the sound. In term of tonality, the Summer has a mildly U/W shape tonality, with a smooth and soothing presentation. The bass sound lush with good amount of impact, midrange is clear with really soothing and smooth tone, the treble sound unique for me, it is continuing with kind of soothing presentation on midrange, but it extended well, and never get dark or undefined. The soundstage width and depth is great, imaging is decent good. But I do find out the overall tonality is little bit too smooth or kind of soothing, it is lacking it of bit fun factor IMO.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #56,350 of 101,375
So while it may look like the Canpur IEMs are the same as the Reechos SG-03. The price difference may be reflective of the drivers these are using. PET is surprisingly cheap. It is the same dynamic driver that is used on the $20 KBEAR KS1. On the other hand it seems Titanium coated dynamics are pricier.

I would be surprised of the Canpur had the same exact sound.

May 8, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #56,351 of 101,375
It looks like the difference between the two are the drivers they are using. I bet those dont have the bass performance of the SG-03. Titanium plated dynamics are exceptional at low bass. PET will be good but not the same as the SG-03. It does look like these two earphones come from the same OEM but the SG-03 was made for Reecho.

How I understand OEM ordering is you get to choose which driver you want and with what tuning. One of the reviewers on that amazon page says it is harmonish tuning. The sub bass performance of the SG-03 has nothing to do with harmonish. It is most definitely elevated. Not one of them mention how good the bass is on that unit. Might have similar tuning to the SG-03 and should have some punchy bass but if I was a guessing man what will separate the SG-03 to the Campur will be that sub bass performance.
Interrsting, reecho SG03 has been on my radar since couple of month ago, before linsoul started to sell for international market, looked for some impressions but there was very few. I heard they used AI algorithms to optimize the shell, and indeed that looked comfortable. Thanks for the note! If the sound quality seemed jo issue, then I’m gonna try it soon!

May 8, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #56,352 of 101,375
I like them a lot one of the bigger surprises for me this year actually. I wasn't expecting much from them but man they can perform. Especially if your into your deep low hitting bass. Haven't heard too many in the price range that has the bass of these things with the rest of the tuning that makes them very versatile.

May 9, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #56,353 of 101,375
Hi guys, during the holiday I have been listened to few IEMs, here is some of my early impression.

NF audio NM2C38C9A9B-B37A-4CB1-A445-1B3A4421ED4C.jpeg
Being the owner of the NM2+, I have to say, in term of tonality, I love the NM2 more. The NM2 sound more balanced with more relaxing top end. The upper midrange in NM2 sound lively yet defined, where the NM2+ can be aggressive sometimes. In term of build and accessories, the NM2 really stand out for its cool package, and rich accessories. The overall tonality on NM2 is just solid done mildly U/W shape. The low is tight and super clear, midrange remaining the clear tone with tad of warmth, treble is smooth and with good levels of energy, it has pretty deep and wide soundstage, the imaging is 3D holographic, which is decently done for sub$100 dollars price range, it is the best sub$100 dollars IEMs, in term of every aspects in my opinion.

Shangling ME8086DDFF07-A5A8-4D20-8BE0-07F33DF70FF6.jpeg
The ME80 the also the sub $100 dollars IEMs. The build and accessories wise, it is great for its price range. The ME80 can be describe as neutral bright IEMs, where the upper midrange and treble are both emphasis, which mean is not the most balanced IEMs. The ME80 has clear and pretty neutral tone. The low is close to lean and with reduced bodies, the leaner continue to the lower midrange, where the upper midrange are forwarded and vividly, moving on to the treble, the treble is tuned bright with crispiness in the top end, I do find out the treble could cause fatiguing for some track. The soundstage depth is average, width is alright, imaging is good enough. Overall, it is pretty solid in term of detail and transition speed, and somehow interesting tonality, But I don’t think it stand out in the crowded sub$100 dollars market.

BQEYZ SummerC109F15E-27F4-4B57-9061-66788F68D657.jpeg
The BQEYZ Summer is $139 dollars IEMs, for this price range, I would like to see the better design of the shell, but anyway it depends on your preference, and it come with really nice cabe. Moving on to the sound, being the owed of the Spring1, I think the Summer improve the overall bass quality, and added a bit of warmth to the sound. In term of tonality, the Summer has a mildly U/W shape tonality, with a smooth and soothing presentation. The bass sound lush with good amount of impact, midrange is clear with really soothing and smooth tone, the treble sound unique for me, it is continuing with kind of soothing presentation on midrange, but it extended well, and never get dark or undefined. The soundstage width and depth is great, imaging is decent good. But I do find out the overall tonality is little bit too smooth or kind of soothing, it is lacking it of bit fun factor IMO.
Can you show us some PIC's of the NM2 and the NM2+ side to side?
Thanks in advance! :wink:

May 9, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #56,354 of 101,375
These (finally) showed up today. I'll be throwing them on burn in.

Shells are small and fairly comfortable, I have smaller ears so hard for me to find comfortable IEMs. They do have some heft to them, as they did not use a lightweight metal like aluminum.

Initial impressions: easy to drive, bass heavy.
IMG_20210505_143643.jpg

Just pulled those open heart metal IEM from burn-in to give them a listen.

IMG_20210505_143919.jpg

Housings are comfortable, if heavy for their size. I ended up putting some foam TWS tips meant for air pod pro's on them for a better fit.

IMG_20210505_143938.jpg

They live up to their listing as warm and bass heavy. Unfortunately they are also (IMO) a bit muddy sounding. Had to remove about 9-10db with EQ in the low end, for my preferences. Resolution/detail is somewhat lacking and treble is rolled off. Not really recommended.

May 9, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #56,355 of 101,375

Just pulled those open heart metal IEM from burn-in to give them a listen.

Housings are comfortable, if heavy for their size. I ended up putting some foam TWS tips meant for air pod pro's on them for a better fit.

They live up to their listing as warm and bass heavy. Unfortunately they are also (IMO) a bit muddy sounding. Had to remove about 9-10db with EQ in the low end, for my preferences. Resolution/detail is somewhat lacking and treble is rolled off. Not really recommended.
Same impression for Openheart, I got Openheart Resin, burned it for christ 100hr sake, no big change. Muddy bass till the end with lo-fi resolution. May only fit sizable few enthusiasts. The cable and case, cable lether-made tie, is actually something I’m enjoying to use for other IEMs. Just in case some entry level IEM misses a house👍 it looks nice though, just the outlook of blue full resin.
B23C04A2-F4FD-4768-8D4A-359ED905CCC2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back