The discovery thread!
Nov 19, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #51,947 of 103,548
3.5 months? And all for what? $4 off?

This is one of many reasons why I hate Drop. I mean, they’re like $15 on Amazon, and you have them in a day or 2 (plus, a generous return policy, unlike Drop).

I’ve set up camelcamelcamel alerts on the KSC75 before, and snagged them for $12, even $7.

So when you add all that up, Drop is no deal at all.
You are right, BUT: Thing is that shipping to my place from Amazon and eBay for this earphones for some reason is ridiculously expensive (over 25-30€, one seller from UK asks even £44). So, as you can see, Drop with shipping price of $5 was better deal :wink: One more reason in favour of Drop: I like their black version of KSC75 more than usual silver one.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #51,948 of 103,548
2020-11-19: Koss KSC75 review is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ko...one-headphones.6373/reviews#item-review-24765

Rank B+

If you are listening to a lot of acoustic music, this is a must buy. :thumbsup:

Created a page for headphone rankings:

Blon B20: E+
Koss KSC75: B+
Koss Porta Pro: C+

Got my Sony MDR-1AM2 today and it sounds great.

the lack of bass quantity and rather shallow frontal depth to the stereo field is what i don't like about KSC75. not that it's bad, per se.. but it's just maked me wanting a bit more on that department.

try the edifier H185, just for fun. it's cheap and usually easy to find. people usually put some thick foam or even double foam them, but me personally am using a thin foam on my unit.

it sounds similar in signature to the KSC75, and depending on taste, some (like me) would like it more

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #51,949 of 103,548
the lack of bass quantity and rather shallow frontal depth to the stereo field is what i don't like about KSC75. not that it's bad, per se.. but it's just maked me wanting a bit more on that department.

try the edifier H185, just for fun. it's cheap and usually easy to find. people usually put some thick foam or even double foam them, but me personally am using a thin foam on my unit.

it sounds similar in signature to the KSC75, and depending on taste, some (like me) would like it more
Aren't those earbuds though?

Already got tons of buds and have 2 more on the way. (toneking Dendroaspis Viridis and the yincrow rw-9)

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #51,950 of 103,548
Aren't those earbuds though?

Already got tons of buds and have 2 more on the way. (toneking Dendroaspis Viridis and the yincrow rw-9)

yup. even the more advantage for me. much smaller size, similar signature (bright and sparkly, with enough bass quantity but at a good speed/attack) and even a bit more of bass impact. all at a cheaper price.
it's one of the first early earbuds that i tried. i immediately love the sound, but.... being a hungry audio addict, i bought and auditioned other earphones anyway :joy:

no matter what headphone/earphones i tried to this day up and down the price range, coming back to that H185 still sounds refreshing for me

i retrofitted my H185 with MMCX and paired it to my BT20S Pro, so now it has the similar earhooks style as the KSC75 :grin:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #51,951 of 103,548
LZ A7
Sony XBA-Z5
Tanchjim Oxygen
Fiio FH3
I don't have the XBA-Z5, but the other 3 are my top 3.

Maybe that's a sign on what my next purchase should be... :thinking:

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #51,952 of 103,548
I don't have the XBA-Z5, but the other 3 are my top 3.

Maybe that's a sign on what my next purchase should be... :thinking:

Only buy the Z5 if you can get it for a greatly reduced price, like I did. and be warned the fit is finicky, but the sound is very good.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #51,953 of 103,548
the lack of bass quantity and rather shallow frontal depth to the stereo field is what i don't like about KSC75. not that it's bad, per se.. but it's just maked me wanting a bit more on that department

You nailed it right here. This is why I prefer the PortaPros much more.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #51,954 of 103,548
You nailed it right here. This is why I prefer the PortaPros much more.

I found the PortaPros to be a tad too bassy and "low-res" for my tastes. I guess YMMV.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #51,955 of 103,548
Always wondered if someone has successfully made or found an enclosure that enables a better coupling from the 45mm Koss driver (Ti plated or otherwise) to extend the bass response without messing up the overall signature that they'd have with the earspeaker like setup.

I remember seeing oratory1990 getting about 20Hz more extension on the PortaPro from attempting to EQ to Harman, removing a lot of mid and upper bass emphasis in the process.

So I assume I could also squeeze 10-20Hz more extension out of my KSC75, but any more than this will demand coupling changing measures.

... I wonder if I'd like to experiment parts express band with Grado G-cushions assuming someone hasn't tried this already.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #51,956 of 103,548
Managed to solve the issue I had with applying the Penon discount code on the Penon web store, and was able to order the LZ A7 for approximately the same price that OPA had, before coupons.
OPA was accepting $20 in AliExpress coupons, which Penon doesn't, but that's the only difference in price.
So, I have an A7 on the way, after all. :ksc75smile:

After doing what the message from OPA requested, and canceling my order, I was surprised to get an email today, saying that they're shipping a set of LZ A7 to me. :thinking::smirk:

The set from Penon will be here next week...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #51,957 of 103,548
I found the PortaPros to be a tad too bassy and "low-res" for my tastes. I guess YMMV.
Yeah, I sort of agree with that. The bass didn't bother me too much (although it was extremely muddy) but biggest problem for me was the lack of mids and treble. No air or sparkle with that set. I sold them and have no desire to ever look to anything from Koss ever again.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #51,958 of 103,548
After doing what the message from OPA requested, and canceling my order, I was surprised to get an email today, saying that they're shipping a set of LZ A7 to me. :thinking::smirk:

The set from Penon will be here next week...

So two pairs?? Sell time, and you can call the price, because they are HOT and lots of folks didn't get their order fulfilled. You got the upper hand!

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #51,959 of 103,548
Yeah, I sort of agree with that. The bass didn't bother me too much (although it was extremely muddy) but biggest problem for me was the lack of mids and treble. No air or sparkle with that set. I sold them and have no desire to ever look to anything from Koss ever again.

i just gave mone away to my brother in law. I wasn't too impressed either, so he asked if he could borrow them to listen to some show tunes and classical music, and he loved them, so i told him he could keep 'em. Early christmas gift. it made him happy, so it made me happy.

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #51,960 of 103,548

Exactly, it was like the attack of each note was blunted and smoothed over. The lack of air is surprising as well given that they're open-back on-ears (and thus useless for any sort of commute or going about in the world).

And yes, I know that fake PortaPros are out there, but I got mine shipped from and sold by Amazon, so I really don't think I scored a fake.

i just gave mone away to my brother in law. I wasn't too impressed either, so he asked if he could borrow them to listen to some show tunes and classical music, and he loved them, so i told him he could keep 'em. Early christmas gift. it made him happy, so it made me happy.

Now that's a win on both sides :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back