The discovery thread!
Aug 27, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #49,486 of 106,825
Agreed. If it was as easy as copying the tuning via FR graphs, there would be no need for TOTL gear because TRN and KZ would just do it with $20 earphones full of Bellsing drivers.

Aren't KZ/CCA pretty close already with ZSX and CA16, for instance, and the upcoming ones - terminators of terminators? :wink:

Aug 27, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #49,487 of 106,825
Aren't KZ/CCA pretty close already with ZSX and CA16, for instance, and the upcoming ones - terminators of terminators? :wink:

We’ll have to see once I get the terminator terminator!

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #49,488 of 106,825
My view is what is taking them so long. They have had a bunch o' models so far. Thought they would be closer to that "pretty close" than they are. We'll see how this ZAX is. Don't need TOTL but can at least compete with the likes of FH3, L3, NA1, H40, DH3 and that kinda stuff :) Let's see that...
1598569645175.png

... leapfrog in performance for real this time.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #49,489 of 106,825
My view is what is taking them so long. They have had a bunch o' models so far. Thought they would be closer to that "pretty close" than they are. We'll see how this ZAX is. Don't need TOTL but can at least compete with the likes of FH3, L3, NA1, H40, DH3 and that kinda stuff :) Let's see that...
1598569645175.png
... leapfrog in performance for real this time.

Bad tuning --> model A ---> model B ---> model C ---> model D ---> model E --->model F ----> go on ----> TOTL tuning = $$$$$ earning

Bad tuning --> model A ---> model B ----> TOTL tuning = $$ earning

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #49,490 of 106,825
the EST's on the MOFO trio really deliver a natural treble. I think it's one of it's strong suits. not quite dynamic treble, but not really too far off. very close. very nice timbre vs the BA driven highs of most of my earphones.

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #49,491 of 106,825
Bad tuning --> model A ---> model B ---> model C ---> model D ---> model E --->model F ----> go on ----> TOTL tuning = $$$$$ earning

Bad tuning --> model A ---> model B ----> TOTL tuning = $$ earning
So I guess I should hold on to the BLON BL-03 till the day it dies for good... or until model Ω comes.

Edit: Where's the Still Waiting image when I need it.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #49,492 of 106,825
So I guess I should hold on to the BLON BL-03 till the day it dies for good... or until model Ω comes.

Edit: Where's the Still Waiting image when I need it.

lot of chifi is doing that, but not as many as KZ and CCA, KZ is infamous for giving us a new model just in 3 months (or less?) for just slight improvement. 1 year 1 model is still tolerablea although already can be put in "milking" category

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #49,493 of 106,825
i'm so glad i did not sell my Moondrop Crescents. Not only are they discontinued, but MSEB just elevated them from a real good single dynamic to close to the KXXS with similar bass and treble response, and just a tad short on stage, but what a crazy performing cheapo.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #49,494 of 106,825
i'm so glad i did not sell my Moondrop Crescents. Not only are they discontinued, but MSEB just elevated them from a real good single dynamic to close to the KXXS with similar bass and treble response, and just a tad short on stage, but what a crazy performing cheapo.

wait you keep saying MSEB, i didn't get it sorry, what did i miss?

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #49,496 of 106,825
wait you keep saying MSEB, i didn't get it sorry, what did i miss?

it's a very intuitive and accurate EQ, but it more or less allows you to retune you earphones or headphones, and it's unique and awesomesauce.

Aug 28, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #49,498 of 106,825
I was able to spend a few hours with each one of my earphones in my collection. The Hiby R5 provided a third, fourth, or fifth look at most of these, and made me reevaluate several. The Sennheiser CX300II, which i recently re-purchased after about 8 years, slipped down the list. They did not take well to Hiby's MSEB system, while the Moondrop Crescents, CCA CA16, and SoundMAGIC E80's really upped the sound game and made me smile with how well all three adapted to the re-tuning. The all BA phones sounded good without the EQ, especially the bass. The bass didn't respond as well. The C12 didn't improve too much. Neither did the FW01 (but enough to almost leap past the Trio), but the Sennheiser IE800 was the Sennphone that actually improved the most with MSEB EQ. The biggest winner were the phones grouped above. Now back to more music and thoughts of my next move? A great on the go phone with excellent sound and fit, for road and gym? Yep. That's next.

Aug 28, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #49,499 of 106,825
I remember Zeos showcasing an app on the E1DA PowerDAC that shows the graph signal that the PowerDAC is feeding to the jack, FR measurement style. Is MSEB anything like this?

Apparently it's called Parametric EQ on the PowerDAC.

nope. maybe someone can explain it bettr, but not a parametric EQ. It's more intuitive, specialized, and gives you the ability to thicken the notes. the sound, provide air, move the mids forward in V shaped iems, or move them back in mid forward iem's, and bring bass forward in thumpy, taut, punchy, or pull it back in bass heavy phones. it's been so much fun experimenting with my different phones.

Aug 28, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #49,500 of 106,825
I remember Zeos showcasing an app on the E1DA PowerDAC that shows the graph signal that the PowerDAC is feeding to the jack, FR measurement style. Is MSEB anything like this?

Apparently it's called Parametric EQ on the PowerDAC.

PEQ is different to DSP effects like MSEB or Cowon's JetEffects. Unlike regular PEQ that mostly alters the FR, these DSPs can also alter attack/decay and such by making changes in time domain via time-domain filters. The effect can be very drastic as well. Cowon's JetEffects for example can turn a bright IEM into mellow and relaxing and vice-versa. Definitely something I'd recommend checking out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back