The discovery thread!
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #47,628 of 103,024
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #47,630 of 103,024
Jun 10, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #47,631 of 103,024
He doesn't like the TRI I3 at all either, which is mind boggling to me. The reaction to the mt100 was a bit more mixed overall. But on the I3 he's a serious outlier. On the other hand he loves the bl-03 and thieaudio L3, which I just don't see as special at all.

The L3 is at least good. The blon just has a huge soundstage and that's about all I can think of positive to say about them.

Just more proof that we all have different hearing sensitivities and different tastes.

This penon orb sounds interesting. But I'm really having a hard time getting over 1dd+1ba at that price point....

I know how can a simple single BA and Dynamic have a nice higher end sound. I mean I own a single dynamic that pretty much destroys every hybrid and 12-14BA driver IEM I own so it isn't far fetched.

Full range single BAs are great at mids and treble but the bass end always end up lacking in impact and texture so here is where the Orb addresses the weakness of a full range single BA. Does a single BA cover the sonics of lets say 3 to 4 BAs doing mids and highs? Absolutely. In fact using a single BA eliminates a lot of extras you would have to stuff into a shell, the physical extra BAs for one but also crossovers and proper placing inside the shells. Meaning the housing would have had to have been much larger if they included more BAs. Why do that if you can get the excellent sonic reproduction from less drivers. This tuning on the Orb I am hearing shows a mastery at tuning more with less is what it comes to.

I think we are so used to having 6BA+1 dynamic and such. Infact I am gonna get my TRN VX soon which I spent $72 for. I am gonna go on a limb and say I bet it wont sound as good as the Orbs. Lol. If it does I will be truely shocked.

I have the ORBs in my ears as I am typing this morning and these sound great and not just for the cash but these will compete easily with anything in and around the price range. These are splendid at isolation. Drove to work with them in my ears to test out the isolation.

The bass end of these are at a different level by the way than something like the ISN H40. It is more akin to the quality that is on the DK-2001..Which for me is the bar in the price range for bass. Might even reach a bit deeper. Zero sub bass drop off. Excellent integration of and impactful dynamic and a full range single BA with excellent isolation properties and comfort. Win win and more win.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #47,632 of 103,024
I know how can a simple single BA and Dynamic have a nice higher end sound. I mean I own a single dynamic that pretty much destroys every hybrid and 12-14BA driver IEM I own so it isn't far fetched.

Full range single BAs are great at mids and treble but the bass end always end up lacking in impact and texture so here is where the Orb addresses the weakness of a full range single BA. Does a single BA cover the sonics of lets say 3 to 4 BAs doing mids and highs? Absolutely. In fact using a single BA eliminates a lot of extras you would have to stuff into a shell, the physical extra BAs for one but also crossovers and proper placing inside the shells. Meaning the housing would have had to have been much larger if they included more BAs. Why do that if you can get the excellent sonic reproduction from less drivers. This tuning on the Orb I am hearing shows a mastery at tuning more with less is what it comes to.

I think we are so used to having 6BA+1 dynamic and such. Infact I am gonna get my TRN VX soon which I spent $72 for. I am gonna go on a limb and say I bet it wont sound as good as the Orbs. Lol. If it does I will be truely shocked.

I have the ORBs in my ears as I am typing this morning and these sound great and not just for the cash but these will compete easily with anything in and around the price range. These are splendid at isolation. Drove to work with them in my ears to test out the isolation.

The bass end of these are at a different level by the way than something like the ISN H40. It is more akin to the quality that is on the DK-2001..Which for me is the bar in the price range for bass. Might even reach a bit deeper. Zero sub bass drop off. Excellent integration of and impactful dynamic and a full range single BA with excellent isolation properties and comfort. Win win and more win.
I also have the VX on the way, probably tomorrow or Friday. So far I'm not hearing great things about them but I'll be the judge of that for myself.

Is the bass on the Orbs really better than the H40 or akin to the 2001? The specs makes it difficult for me to believe a 10mm composite driver could compete with the berry in the 2001, or the berry in my IMR Rah..... But that might be how it gets me. BA mids don't particularly excite me, and tuning is not as important to me (EQ/DSP fan) as others, but if the bass is really that good, then I might need to give them a try.... BQEYZ Spring 2 will also be out in the next few days... Decisions will be made... Money will certainly be spent ($3100 new air conditioner being installed as we speak, but I'm a person for IEMs so really what's a few extra hundred on top of that?).

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #47,633 of 103,024
so are all
He doesn't like the TRI I3 at all either, which is mind boggling to me. The reaction to the mt100 was a bit more mixed overall. But on the I3 he's a serious outlier. On the other hand he loves the bl-03 and thieaudio L3, which I just don't see as special at all.

Just more proof that we all have different hearing sensitivities and different tastes.

It seems to me that the newer IEMs, with non-BA, non-DD drivers are a lot more “controversial”, and elicit very strong opinions in both directions. I like the Tape for certain reasons, but I can completely understand someone hating them, especially if they are not wanting to use EQ. The timbre of these IEMs are often unique, and the FR curves are usually a little wonky (not necessarily bad though). Basically, you really need to find someone with the same tastes in music as you, and see if they like such an IEM, b/c you likely will not get any sort of consensus opinion.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #47,634 of 103,024
so are all

It seems to me that the newer IEMs, with non-BA, non-DD drivers are a lot more “controversial”, and elicit very strong opinions in both directions. I like the Tape for certain reasons, but I can completely understand someone hating them, especially if they are not wanting to use EQ. The timbre of these IEMs are often unique, and the FR curves are usually a little wonky (not necessarily bad though). Basically, you really need to find someone with the same tastes in music as you, and see if they like such an IEM, b/c you likely will not get any sort of consensus opinion.
a double edged sword so to say :joy:

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #47,635 of 103,024
Jun 10, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #47,636 of 103,024
Mmmmm ... koolaid!
Me too. :wink: :ksc75smile:
Yep, I keep drinking it, and its an addictive and expensive habit. Maybe I need to go back to booze, less expensive (JK).

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #47,638 of 103,024
so are all

I like the Tape for certain reasons, but I can completely understand someone hating them, especially if they are not wanting to use EQ. The timbre of these IEMs are often unique, and the FR curves are usually a little wonky (not necessarily bad though). Basically, you really need to find someone with the same tastes in music as you, and see if they like such an IEM, b/c you likely will not get any sort of consensus opinion.

I Had Tape but Ikko OH-10 that cost more totally destroy Shuoer Tape.
I’m listening Shanling ME500 Platinum with M6 pro and mid-high is so transparent and dynamic
I’d buy Penon Orb but I don’t know if it’s a side grade of Ikko-Shanling.
I also own RAH.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #47,639 of 103,024
I Had Tape but Ikko OH-10 that cost more totally destroy Shuoer Tape.
I’m listening Shanling ME500 Platinum with M6 pro and mid-high is so transparent and dynamic
I’d buy Penon Orb but I don’t know if it’s a side grade of Ikko-Shanling.
I also own RAH.
The tuning of the OH10 is MUCH better/more ideal compared to the stock tuning of the Tape. The Tape can excel if EQ is used well, and one likes the unique ultra detailed treble sound.

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #47,640 of 103,024
Yes I used a lot R5 MSEB with Tape but I preferred OH10 and ME500 Platinum sounds even more transparent than Ikko OH-10!
Maybe I’ll sell IMR RAH, too dark for my taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Back