The discovery thread!
Jan 20, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #46,216 of 101,306
So a bit of bad news. I could have sworn I orderd the Blessing 2 a week or so before festivities in China.

I get the message saying it can't be shipped before the holiday. Of course I am the nice guy and say no problem but.

That means they have to get the phones from Moondrop before they can ship em to me? How is it that they advertise as having them in stock and not have any in stock? Oh well it is what it is.
That's very annoying, that's what that is. They should make stuff like that clear on their site

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #46,217 of 101,306
It was on ebay where I ordered cus tax was cheaper than aliexpress.and it was from Shenzhen audio store. So it didnt matter if I ordered it from Aliexpress or from ebay at all. Oh well not a big deal. I aint gonna loose sleep over it but I will have to wait almost a month. Would be cool if they upgraded the shipping but I doubt they will do that.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #46,218 of 101,306
Jan 20, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #46,219 of 101,306
That shell design is same as DUNU DM480. Wonder if they are using the same driver. Shouldn't be.
10390781_thumb.jpg

Driver lay out looks identical too.
10408974_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #46,220 of 101,306
Jan 20, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #46,221 of 101,306
That shell design is same as DUNU DM480. Wonder if they are using the same driver. Shouldn't be.
10390781_thumb.jpg

10408974_thumb.jpg

DUNU is an OEM so it is nearly the same but DUNU change the coating to Titanium and the cable and pretty easily you have a new model. Obvious they would take something they already make and alter slightly to give the 380 and 480 instead of taking more time and $$ for completely original new models. Was thinking the 8mm dual in the AT IM50/70 were DUNU powered as well though not ever truly answered in that case unless I missed it or don't remember.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #46,222 of 101,306
Okay, a new design, if anyone is interested. I am quite interested esp. when they finish the design to add the 50% more battery and size adjustability.

The beamforming was doing well from other impression I read even on the CES floor so really direst the sound to actually not leak tunless you get pretty close and to not get drowned out as much either. Cool to have nothing in or on the ears and now the battery is 2 hours on a 5 minute quick charge which should go to 3 hours which is great.

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #46,223 of 101,306
Okay, a new design, if anyone is interested. I am quite interested esp. when they finish the design to add the 50% more battery and size adjustability.

The beamforming was doing well from other impression I read even on the CES floor so really direst the sound to actually not leak tunless you get pretty close and to not get drowned out as much either. Cool to have nothing in or on the ears and now the battery is 2 hours on a 5 minute quick charge which should go to 3 hours which is great.

Hmmm, he says they “reimagined the headphone”, but bone conduction headphones have been around for a long, long time (during World War by tank drivers, and even by Beethoven to hear the piano).

I’ve personally owned the AfterShokz Titanium for a number of years now. These are no different, but they’re worn up whereas the AfterShokz are worn behind the head.

Make no mistake though, the sound of bone conduction headphones will disappoint most people. You can ‘hear’ music, but it is like listening to a cheap speaker that has 3 thick blankets wrapped around it.

It’s super awesome for situational awareness though. But then again, so is my Bose SoundWear, which absolutely blows away the AfterShokz Titanium in sound fidelity and musical enjoyment in general. Plus the NC microphone on the Bose is literally the best of any Bluetooth device I’ve used in my life. I can be in my car on the highway or riding my bicycle and the people on the other end of the phone think I’m sitting at my desk or on the couch in a quiet room.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #46,224 of 101,306
Hmmm, he says they “reimagined the headphone”, but bone conduction headphones have been around for a long, long time (during World War by tank drivers, and even by Beethoven to hear the piano).

I’ve personally owned the AfterShokz Titanium for a number of years now. These are no different, but they’re worn up whereas the AfterShokz are worn behind the head.

These are 18mm Beamform speakers.
IMG-1438-300x225.jpg

"we felt strongly that we did not want to go with a bone-conduction option, knowing the lower quality that’s achievable. Instead, we worked to perfect our beamforming directional sound technology, keeping a wide frequency range and proper staging for the best possible audio experience for the wearer,” says Patrick Huang, CEO of Cleer Audio."

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #46,225 of 101,306
These are 18mm Beamform speakers.
"we felt strongly that we did not want to go with a bone-conduction option, knowing the lower quality that’s achievable. Instead, we worked to perfect our beamforming directional sound technology, keeping a wide frequency range and proper staging for the best possible audio experience for the wearer,” says Patrick Huang, CEO of Cleer Audio."

Ah, ok. I missed that part of the video.

So it seems to be a similar technology as the Bose SoundWear (per the last part of my post above). With those, the speakers (despite sitting on your neck) actually ‘project’ the sound to your head in what sounds like a pair of bookshelf speakers located about a foot to either side of your ears. It’s a freaky sensation when you first hear it.

It’s also similar to the same technology Bose is using in the sunglasses frames they have.

I wonder if that company is licensing some of the technology from Bose?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #46,226 of 101,306
I remember reading an article in a stereo mag years back about beamforming. They used an array of ultrasonic speakers focused on a spot in the room. You'd hear nothing until you hit the sweet-spot, then music would materialize out of nowhere. It seemed pretty cool at the time, esp. when they mentioned one of the attendees got too close to one of the ultrasonic beams and dropped to his knees in pain. Apparently the tech can be weaponized and used for crowd control, etc.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #46,227 of 101,306
Ah, ok. I missed that part of the video.

So it seems to be a similar technology as the Bose SoundWear (per the last part of my post above). With those, the speakers (despite sitting on your neck) actually ‘project’ the sound to your head in what sounds like a pair of bookshelf speakers located about a foot to either side of your ears. It’s a freaky sensation when you first hear it.

It’s also similar to the same technology Bose is using in the sunglasses frames they have.

I wonder if that company is licensing some of the technology from Bose?

real man carry 2kg boombox on his shoulder, real speakers, direct projection :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #46,228 of 101,306
real man carry 2kg boombox on his shoulder, real speakers, direct projection :stuck_out_tongue:
and then real audiophiles carry few kilos of their best sounding cables on top of that :)

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #46,229 of 101,306
Wish those beamforming earspeakers were a more cycling friendly behind the head style, otherwise could be a good neckspeaker replacement. Was pretty impressed by the Bose sunglasses store demo.

DUNU is an OEM so it is nearly the same but DUNU change the coating to Titanium and the cable and pretty easily you have a new model. Obvious they would take something they already make and alter slightly to give the 380 and 480 instead of taking more time and $$ for completely original new models. Was thinking the 8mm dual in the AT IM50/70 were DUNU powered as well though not ever truly answered in that case unless I missed it or don't remember.

Not certain, but I think Dunu rep said they actually bought a generic shell in order to cut down on costs for the 3/480 models.

*edit* nvm Dunu answered here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-3084#post-15430094

https://penonaudio.com/simphonio-vr1.html

Really when is it gonna stop? Gotta hit a wall sometime. Formerly Sunrise now Simphonio with a $2200 in-ear.

Speaking of generic shells, I think those are the same ones Rhapsodio use? They also make the $500 earbuds with repainted Yuin shells and a fancy cable. I would say even for a mom&pop DIY operation that would be a bit much, but then again those Yuin shells are almost platonic ideal for earbud comfort.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back