The discovery thread!
Dec 7, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #45,706 of 100,739
iBasso are releasing a new IEM called the iBasso AM05:
https://hifigo.com/products/ibasso-...r-wired-4-channel-iem-hifi-earphone-with-mmcx

I used google translate for this on the web, it seems it has:
1) 5 knowles BA
2) Gold-plated MMCX connectors with thicker coatings - seems it is more durable than a standard MMCX connector, but not sure if it's a gimmick or not
3) Aftermarket Knowles filters can be used (like in the Shures and Audiosense models), to let audiophiles tune the sound signature if they wish to

Seems IBasso has generally good reviews from users, though I admit I haven't heard an iBasso IEM before.
I think they're retailing it at $299 USD and just for comparisons' sake, the Audiosense T800 is also at the same price but has 8 Knowles BA. I know driver count is not as important as tuning, but this AM05 is gonna face quite a lot of competition at that price range.

I have little doubt that it will be a nice sounding IEM. Ibasso makes solid gear for reasonable prices.

Will it be the best of the best? Probably not, but a safe bet for the risk adverse as it's backed by a good brand. I'd pay a little extra for an ibasso product versus other random chifi brands.
The iBasso AM05 is here. Personally, I think it is more musical and enjoyable than T800. I will follow up with more impressions. Enjoy & Happy Listening, as always! :)

IMG_20191208_120337_606.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #45,707 of 100,739
Didn't notice this before, but trying to pair my No.3 with the EffectAudio Origin cable does make the soundstage appear bigger and wider than before it seems. (Speaking from a half-believer on cable change sound quality). The bass also became much neat and tamer than before. Hope it wasn't a placebo effect because this my third to fourth time listening to no.3 with origin cable

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #45,708 of 100,739
The iBasso AM05 is here. Personally, I think it is more musical and enjoyable than T800. I will follow up with more impressions. Enjoy & Happy Listening, as always! :)

How about some real pictures? :D

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #45,709 of 100,739
For those that liked the Guideray GR-I, Guideray has released a 5 BA set called Guideray GR-V5:

41pPGfQS86L._AC_.jpg

41OwPfQCUtL._AC_.jpg

51wMaS9fFzL._AC_.jpg

Looks quite basshead for a BA set. Though I don't like the 5 kHz spike (not sure if it is a measurement artefact).

Specifications:
Drivers: 5 BA - Knowles drivers and custom mid-high frequency drivers.
Impedance: 22 Ohm
Sensitivity: 118dB/mW
Frequency Response: 20 Hz- 20 kHz
Cable: 0.78mm 2Pin

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #45,710 of 100,739
Dec 8, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #45,711 of 100,739
For those that liked the Guideray GR-I, Guideray has released a 5 BA set called Guideray GR-V5:

Looks quite basshead for a BA set. Though I don't like the 5 kHz spike (not sure if it is a measurement artefact).

Specifications:
Drivers: 5 BA - Knowles drivers and custom mid-high frequency drivers.
Impedance: 22 Ohm
Sensitivity: 118dB/mW
Frequency Response: 20 Hz- 20 kHz
Cable: 0.78mm 2Pin

Looks identical to the Magaosi K5 Pro Bass. Same specs (impedance, sensitivity, etc), same shell, same nozzle, same Knowles BA driver layout.

Magaosi:
08D1270B-01CC-4038-9E32-4D41DB807909.jpeg

Guideray:
DD8B02FE-7BBD-4D68-BD4C-AEB2E18CEDC5.jpeg

In fact, if you look reeaaal closely, you’ll notice that they even have the same crossover board, with the same SMD components in the same location, and the same 1836 number:
9CE14594-81A0-4E43-AA0D-4FF11F07CE5C.jpeg
B30DFC12-DFCE-4697-B65D-1553143FD01D.jpeg

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I have the Magaosi K5 2.0 (along with other Magaosi earphones), and I love it. I only mention it in case someone would prefer an mmcx plug (Magaosi) vs a 2-pin (Guideray). Also, different accessories between the 2:
B40540B1-6D4A-4BBF-A457-18FA82BA6CF0.jpeg
5747A9DD-26E7-4BC7-8C8A-A12446C97216.jpeg

If I was interested, and assuming they are indeed identical, I’d personally get whatever one was cheaper (during a sale, with coupons, etc) or if I had to have a specific plug type.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #45,712 of 100,739
Looks identical to the Magaosi K5 Pro Bass. Same specs (impedance, sensitivity, etc), same shell, same nozzle, same BA driver layout.

Magaosi:

Guideray:

In fact, if you look reeaaal closely, you’ll notice that they even have the same crossover board, with the same SMD components in the same location, and the same 1836 number:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I have the Magaosi K5 2.0 (along with other Magaosi earphones), and I love it. I only mention it in case someone would prefer an mmcx plug (Magaosi) vs a 2-pin (Guideray). Also, different accessories between the 2:

Thanks for the headsup. Is the Magaosi K5 Pro FR similar? If so, we should just go for the cheaper option haha.

I'm not surprised actually. Many CHIFI use the same shells/drivers and just stamp a different logo/brand on the shell or otherwise one is doing an OEM for the other.

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #45,713 of 100,739
Thanks for the headsup. Is the Magaosi K5 Pro FR similar? If so, we should just go for the cheaper option haha.

I'm not surprised actually. Many CHIFI use the same shells/drivers and just stamp a different logo/brand on the shell or otherwise one is doing an OEM for the other.

I will ask Magaosi for a FR and see if they can provide one.

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #45,714 of 100,739

Looks like the k5 pro bass is going for $179 on penon right now. I'd hope the guideray could undercut that by quite a bit. Would be interesting to have a basshead BA set in the budget category. But at $179 you're getting closer to the t800 and fearless s6rui territory and to some very capable hybrids.

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #45,715 of 100,739
Looks like the k5 pro bass is going for $179 on penon right now. I'd hope the guideray could undercut that by quite a bit. Would be interesting to have a basshead BA set in the budget category. But at $179 you're getting closer to the t800 and fearless s6rui territory and to some very capable hybrids.
ISN H40 & ikko OH10. Both very capable hybrid IEMs.

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #45,716 of 100,739
First thing if you can spot it that I wasn't thrilled with...
upload_2019-12-8_12-57-11.png

upload_2019-12-8_13-21-2.png

The sweat resistant over-ear sports headphones are actually on-ear. Not thrilled but not a deal breaker. Still can fit and be stable to run around in though over ear would be a safer bet to keep from sliding off. There still is the build, design, sound and BT performance to judge.

The quick and dirty pics where I try to show the design including the controls...
upload_2019-12-8_13-58-39.png

upload_2019-12-8_13-59-3.png

upload_2019-12-8_13-59-23.png

upload_2019-12-8_13-59-43.png

upload_2019-12-8_14-0-5.png

I tested out the design, BT, and am burning them in after a cursory listening. With on-ears there is a best placement especially with glasses on and for these to stay put best.

The Build and design is better than I expected. Beefy and a heavy feel though not really heavy. Can kinda feel the weight of the gel in the pads and the headband insert. Nice feel and totally quiet design. Fit is comfy with nice balance and the pads are a good size for an on-ear being 3" x 2 5/8" . The pads are more than thick enough and cool and soft touch. They have a nice feel. The rubber headband insert is little bit of a letdown. Not quite as soft a rubber as I thought it would be and doesn't grip very much. Better than regular cans but still can get them to start sliding if I try :)

For size, if you are familiar, these are about the size of the Audio-technica SR5.

The design is solid. They do leave out the aux-in jack though more and more under $99 cans are doing this now. Does make sense here since they are trying to be moisture resistant. For that aspect, the USB door is sealed rubber flap that is thick and sturdy yet opens enough to not be annoying. Still micro USB which some may not like but that is still the majority of my device. Buttons are big enough and easily enough to tell apart. Just 3 power/play/answer, volume +/- that are FF and RW when held for a pretty quick 1 second.

BT seems excellent all around. No drop outs yet, Detected right away and connects quick. Memory remembers 8 devices. A woman with a pleasant English accent announces power on/off, pairing, your device is connected etc. at a comfortable volume. Buttons quickly register your commands which is nice. Multiple beeps announce you have reached max volume.

Sound early on seems quite good. Bassy but not overly so and the fun kind of punchy bass that is more lively than plodding with too much decay. Sound has less of a sweet spot than other cans like the JVC XP50BT. Still has one like most on-ears do but doesn't degrade as quick or badly with the cloth pads that have a wider opening. Being semi-open and on-ear they have a pretty big sound that is not congested. Treble is there and pretty articulate. Vocals come through quite nicely so the response is slightly elevated in the bass region and lowered a bit up through the rest of the mids and treble with a soft roll up high. Some run-in and testing is needed to see how they finally end up. Maybe a small hint of a plastic echo in the sound right off the bat but may be gone already either as the initial bloom is wearing off or probably due to better positioning on the ears.

I'm off tomorrow and with gusts of wind and 100% chance of rain I can use these and test them out in others ways.

Even outside of the on-ear let down I am liking these quite a bit already. A good fit and feel and the nice solid feel and quite fun signature They are a good deal at the first adopter $59 price and soon they will go for $50 you get the things you want. Comfort, good controls, no issue BT, fun for sports signature with enough sound quality and no real water worries. Though starting to sound like they will be a good fun sound that I may choose to listen to over other cans outside of a niche use like weather or sports.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #45,717 of 100,739

Agreed, $179 region is tough competition. Lots of bigboys to compete with, not to mention, the consumers will be more picky at this price range.

FWIW, the Guideray GR V5 is $189.99 on amazon and AE.
I'm not sure if the FR is exactly identical to the Magaosi K5 Pro, but if it is, I'm sure some folks won't mind the $10 difference to get 2 pin connectors of the Guideray compared to the MMCX connector (in Magaosi K5 Pro). I find 2 pins are generally more durable than MMCX.

Anyway, these CHIFI usually will drop in pricing from their launch prices in a few months, so I'm sure it will be cheaper down the line. Or another hypetrain would have landed and made everyone forget about the past releases.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #45,719 of 100,739
So I decided to get the Sony A55. But since I don't have a standalone amp, only a portable bluetooth amp a.k.a the shanling UP2, does it still going to work if I amp my iem through LDAC?

sony doesn't usually require an amp. they can tackle pretty much any iem and headphone in my collection, and see the list. sometimes i don't like playing my music via my amp with the sony.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #45,720 of 100,739
sony doesn't usually require an amp. they can tackle pretty much any iem and headphone in my collection, and see the list. sometimes i don't like playing my music via my amp with the sony.
Yeap, thank you. Just asking a silly question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back