The discovery thread!
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #45,571 of 101,573
ISN H40 in the house. I gotta say this is interesting.
Statement from ISN developers

ISN AUDIO announcement:

Due to we are dissatisfied with the sound and crafts of the 1st batch of H40, we hold it back. Now that the newly adjusted H40 has been born, we will send it to customers who have purchased the retired H40 for free. Currently retired H40 still has inventory, so now anyone who buy H40 will get 1 free retired H40, thank you for your support!

So what I got here is not only one H40 but the one with the brown cable is ISN H40 retired edition. So the retired edition is not bad in fact I was thinking It sounded like a decent $200 earphone.

Then I started listening to the new improved H40... These don't sound like a $200 earphone. They are on the level of one of my favorite iems the IBasso IT04. Similar dynamics, Similar detail, Great extension on both ends. Great mids with imaging that pops. I am willing to bet if someone that owns the IT04 heard the H40. They probably wont be able to figure out which one has the higher end SQ. Lol. This is insane level of a value on the H40. ISN from out of nowhere comes out with this. I know about their cables but I had no idea these guys were masters of the craft of tuning. So what that previous statement was. If you guys are interested in these. You can click on an option to get a free RETIRED version with your order. Meaning you can get 2 versions of the earphones for the cost of a single H40.

Are the Retired version rejects? I wouldn't say so. The H40 on the other hand. WOW. Yet another very capable tuner now on the scene.

How would I go about contacting these guys? I would love to borrow and/or purchase a unit to review on my channel.

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #45,572 of 101,573
The HECATE GM360 by EDIFIER continue to impress me and I'm definitely going to write to them and see if they can build one with detachable cables! They are just as entertaining and musical as the BLON, C12, and stomps all over the HiFi BCD! They sound 100% that good!

-Clear :punch::smile:

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #45,574 of 101,573
This TFZ case is beautiful. Bought it during 11.11.
IMG_7420[1].jpg IMG_7422[1].jpg

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #45,575 of 101,573
I see that the LZ A6 is currently on sale for $225.
Have you heard them?
How would you compare the H40?

I think @audio123 might be able to answer that one. Guy has every earphone ever made. Lol.

Dont know how good the A6 is but I was not expecting the H40 to sound this good. I have had my share of nicer mid fi stuff and I can put this SQ with anything I own.

Just a thought. The Retired version would make for an excellent gift for a significant other or a friend. It will arguably be the better looking of the two as it has clear Resin sell showing the insides which is always cool looking. The Retail version is Onyx black. They will have no idea that it is a "Retired" Version. I threw on the retired version and ya they dont sound as precise. The mids sound slightly hollow the bass dont have the same quality as the Retail. But for a non knowing person. These will sound better than anything they have put in there ears. Lol. This retired version has roughly 90% of the tuning that is on the retail version. They actually sound pretty good. Nothing like a buy one get one free deal.
@DBaldock9 I would like to chime in with LZ A6 (Black Filter + Loud On) vs ISN H40 as per @Dsnuts request.

The H40 has significantly better fit than the LZ A6. The H40 has fuller bass performance and it is more impactful than the LZ A6. The LZ A6 has quicker bass decay. The LZ A6 has a more vivid midrange while the H40 has a focused yet controlled expression. The treble on LZ A6 is slightly crispier but H40 has the edge with a smoother presentation. The H40 presents a bigger stage with greater width & depth. Both are really good IEMs so it boils down to personal preference. If I have to pick between the ISN H40 & LZ A6, it will be the H40 because of its better fit and fatigue-free sound in comparison. Cheers! :)

photo_2019-12-04_23-32-09.jpg

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #45,576 of 101,573
@DBaldock9 I would like to chime in with LZ A6 (Black Filter + Loud On) vs ISN H40 as per @Dsnuts request.

The H40 has significantly better fit than the LZ A6. The H40 has fuller bass performance and it is more impactful than the LZ A6. The LZ A6 has quicker bass decay. The LZ A6 has a more vivid midrange while the H40 has a focused yet controlled expression. The treble on LZ A6 is slightly crispier but H40 has the edge with a smoother presentation. The H40 presents a bigger stage with greater width & depth. Both are really good IEMs so it boils down to personal preference. If I have to pick between the ISN H40 & LZ A6, it will be the H40 because of its better fit and fatigue-free sound in comparison. Cheers! :)

Does the H40 come with a isn S8 cable? It looks like it does (that's a $30 cable, very good with my dm6)

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #45,577 of 101,573
Ya I took a listen this morning after a night of music to play through the drivers on the H40. Damn great sounding earphone. I can't get over how good the tuning is on the H40. It balances a fine line between detailed presenation and musicality a wider stage and excellent imagery. It sounds like what you would think a high fidelity in ears would sound like. To say I have been completely surprised by this one is an understatement.

I can tell they took their time to really tune these to be fluid. It has precision that is unheard of at the price range. My comparison for the price point would be my IT01s and if I was to choose right now I would pick the H40 easily. The IT01S my friends is no joke either.

I noticed these sound great on everything too. Not as picky as some earphones like the NX7 for example. You listen to those on the right source and they take off too neverland. You listen to them on the wrong source they sound artificial and not so good. Not so much the H40.

For example. I use my Fiio X1. Good old X1. I still have mine. Use it all the time but more for burning in earphones on the go more so than actually listening to music with them. Cheap daps are good like that. Just for grins I thought might as well check out how the H40 does with them. OH man! Good old $100 Fiio X1 sound like a flagship Dap. Lol.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #45,579 of 101,573
Does the H40 come with a isn S8 cable? It looks like it does (that's a $30 cable, very good with my dm6)
Yes, it is the ISN S8. As for comparison of ISN H40 vs DM6 + ISN S8, I can only say the H40 easily triumphs it with more impactful bass, clearer midrange, airier treble and bigger soundstage. Really well played to ISN to re-release an IEM and it turns out to be a winner.

photo_2019-12-04_23-50-18.jpg

Ya I took a listen this morning after a night of music to play through the drivers on the H40. Damn great sounding earphone. I can't get over how good the tuning is on the H40. I balances a fine line between detailed presenation and musicality a wider stage and excellent imagery. It sounds like what you would think a high fidelity in ears would sound like. To say I have been completely surprised by this one is an understatement.

I can tell they took their time to really tune these to be fluid. It has precision that is unheard of at the price range. My comparison for the price point would be my IT0s and if I was to choose right now I would pick the H40 easily. The IT01S my friends is no joke either.

I noticed these sound great on everything too. Not as picky as some earphones like the NX7 for example. You listen to those on the right source and they take off too neverland. You listen to them on the wrong source they sound artificial and not so good. Not so much the H40.

For example. I use my Fiio X1. Good old X1. I still have mine. Use it all the time but more for burning in earphones on the go more so than actually listening to music with them. Cheap daps are good like that. Just for grins I thought might as well check out how the H40 does with them. OH man! Good old $100 Fiio X1 sound like a flagship Dap. Lol.
I agree with you. ISN has set the bar very high for their debut IEM. I use the ISN H40 out of many different DAPs and it sounds really great. I recommend the H40 very highly.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #45,580 of 101,573
Chinese faking Chinese. Now that is something. Kinda makes sense though. It seems when something is selling off the shelf. Someone is gonna copy it and try to make a profit off of it. Chinese copy everything.
Case in point. Lol

So true! Today I visited a place in Shanghai called "Fake Market" and saw this sign on a store:
20190327_172226.jpg

Of course I had to check it out and despite the logos on the products there I had a feeling it wasn't the real deal :wink:

Dec 4, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #45,581 of 101,573
Is the ISN H40 smaller than the Audiosense T800? The H40 looks like it uses the same design as the T800 and the T800 is too big for me.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #45,584 of 101,573
As far as the 2019 My Love Edition is concerned, it's the one I've listened to the least, but first impressions are positive. It seems to sound similarly good as the T2 Galaxy, which is one of my favorites. Curiously enough, it put my LG V40 into high impedance mode.
No wonder: they should have an impedance of 55Ohm.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #45,585 of 101,573
Yes, it is the ISN S8. As for comparison of ISN H40 vs DM6 + ISN S8, I can only say the H40 easily triumphs it with more impactful bass, clearer midrange, airier treble and bigger soundstage. Really well played to ISN to re-release an IEM and it turns out to be a winner.

I agree with you. ISN has set the bar very high for their debut IEM. I use the ISN H40 out of many different DAPs and it sounds really great. I recommend the H40 very highly.
Nice, my set is already on the way, can't wait for it now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back