The discovery thread!
Nov 27, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #45,318 of 104,201
Measurements of Guideray GR-i and some mods were made today... Still need to buy iec711 coupler from AE to replace diy tube coupler for my measurement mic.
photo_2019-11-27_21-48-59.jpg

Nov 27, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #45,319 of 104,201
Hmmmm. I don't think I have an out of phase pair but I better double check my blon bl-03 since I just can't understand the hype around them. my hibiscus also came in yesterday and it's definitely sounding much better on day 2 after some burn in time. Much more so than most other pairs I've recently acquired....

Nov 27, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #45,320 of 104,201
What are the author's credentials?
Judging by mixing up "tensile strength" and "Young's modulus" (different properties!) - not engineering.
Judging by "Its atomic structure is between H (hydrogen atom) and SP3 (diamond)." - not chemistry!

It is also hard to get about the " friction" (coming from graphite in the author's elusive logic), but what is the relevance?

So "this read" hardly can be recommended for the content.

On the topic of DLC, I have 1 More Quad which is said to have it; and while I love the tuning of the Triple, giving a DD (DLC or not) most of the range in the Quad did not work for my tuning preference.
Heyhey, I am a structural geologist and will investigate his tensile strength and Young's modulus! The author is an audio engineer.

Nov 27, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #45,321 of 104,201
Hmmmm. I don't think I have an out of phase pair but I better double check my blon bl-03 since I just can't understand the hype around them. my hibiscus also came in yesterday and it's definitely sounding much better on day 2 after some burn in time. Much more so than most other pairs I've recently acquired....

Could you elaborate about the differences in the sound of Hibiscus after 2 days? I have just received them, and first impression is really disappointing. The sound is liveless, lacking in detail and texture across all the frequencies, not only compared with my TFZ Tequila (I know, not a fair comparison), but also with a Pai Audio DR2 clone I bought for 15€ in 11.11 sale.

Nov 27, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #45,322 of 104,201
Heyhey, I am a structural geologist and will investigate his tensile strength and Young's modulus! The author is an audio engineer.
Please do. Will you poke him personally for structural integrity? :wink:

Then, more seriously, it is clear that any values for diamond are not very much applicable for DLC, since they are not single-crystalline or polycrystalline diamond films.
My understanding is that the author is in education, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Nov 27, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #45,323 of 104,201

Then, more seriously, it is clear that any values for diamond are not very much applicable for DLC, since they are not single-crystalline or polycrystalline diamond films.
My understanding is that the author is in education, so please correct me if I am wrong.
If he was in education that would be news to me.

Young's modulus is the ability of a material to withstand uniaxial compression/extension: why should these materials not have such a number attached to them?

Tensile strength: the strength before a material breaks/rips when pulled on it. Also see no problem with this material property here.

I speculate he copied these things from an article.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #45,324 of 104,201
If he was in education that would be news to me.

Young's modulus is the ability of a material to withstand uniaxial compression/extension: why should these materials not have such a number attached to them?

Tensile strength: the strength before a material breaks/rips when pulled on it. Also see no problem with this material property here.

I speculate he copied these things from an article.

It is not a science thread...
Tensile strength is quite different and much less relevant in the IEM context compared to the rigidity, characterized by Young's modulus, for the oscillating membrane (it is not brought to its limits of breaking, right).

The "education" tidbit is from his description. It is really hard from his communication here or his "publucations" to picture him as an "engineer".

Nov 27, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #45,325 of 104,201

you may wish to adjust your tone as some might construe your comments as unhelpful to the general spirit of this thread. of course, feel free to express yourself as you see fit.

Nov 27, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #45,326 of 104,201
you may wish to adjust your tone as some might construe your comments as unhelpful to the general spirit of this thread. of course, feel free to express yourself as you see fit.
Surely, I humbly may :)
It won't help to cover the blatant factual mistakes of the discussed publication, though.

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #45,327 of 104,201
Surely, I humbly may :)
It won't help to cover the blatant factual mistakes of the discussed publication, though.
As you know now, the article is originally by Blon in Chinese and this is an English translation. You may have to talk to them. I think it is very useful.

UPDATE: the original writer incorrectly equated "tensile strength" with "stiffness". Young's Modulus is a measure of stiffness (uniaxial stress/unaxial strain...if I remember correctly). I corrected it. But this makes zero difference for the practical part of the driver story.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #45,328 of 104,201
As you know now, the article is originally by Blon in Chinese and this is an English translation. You may have to talk to them. I think it is very useful.
I've sent Kopikaya few suggestions, as well as apologies for being overly personal.
The main point actually will be that the quality of DLC, as well as CNT, coatings may vary widely much more than the properties of the materials themselves. So how the coatings are made - integrity and consistency of the films - will matter the most (after the tuning, of course).

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #45,329 of 104,201
Nov 27, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #45,330 of 104,201
My V90 and my ZSA were also out of phase
<cue eerie theremin music>
I could see the cheap throwaway cable being wired incorrectly, but the head-scratcher for me was it's the actual earpiece wired wrong. I'd crack it open and flip the connector upside down if I had the slightest idea how to crack them open. This also begs the question… which one is wired wrong?:upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back