The discovery thread!
Dec 13, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #40,726 of 99,879
Well I got busy so forgot cancel my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless, so I am going to put them through their paces since I can return them if not satisfied.

Will compare them against my WF700N and the AKG N200. They are gonna have to knock my socks off for me to keep them as I have been buying a bit to much gear lately...

Will post some early impressions later tonight or tomorrow.

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #40,729 of 99,879
Quick question... I find the vocals on the DMG very recessed at times and hidden in the mix... is this just me? I also get some distortion on a Queen song called You Take My Breath Away during some of the higher register harmonies which I don' get with any other set :frowning2:

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #40,730 of 99,879
Quick question... I find the vocals on the DMG very recessed at times and hidden in the mix... is this just me? I also get some distortion on a Queen song called You Take My Breath Away during some of the higher register harmonies which I don' get with any other set :frowning2:
Not just you at all. I sold my pair and haven't missed them for a second since.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #40,732 of 99,879
Ok, so my MTW charged up and are playing away in my ears. So let me set the stage a bit. I ordered these online back Nov. 30 and I impatiently waited for them to come in. How impatient you ask? During that time I bought the KEF Space One over ear wired ANC headphone and a couple days ago the AKG N200. Now the reason this important is that the KEF are very balanced sounding and the N200 sound... well they sound like an AKG product. Very mid/treble centric or bright.

So I plug in the MTW and get an immediate blast of bass and warmth. It was a bit of a shock after starting to get used to the N200. To say they are opposites is almost an understatement.

So these are definitely on the bass side of the fence. But as I listen I dont think they are as thick sounding as the WF700N (I mentioned WF1000X above but that's not right and I will fix that post). But will confirm that in a day or so when I have a bit more time. So we are talking a warm bass oriented signature that does remind me a bit of my old IE8's but not nearly as dark sounding (warm not dark). These also have a bit of the IE8 3D/sound stage charm. But since I have not had the IE8 in a long time I will not try to even guess how similar they are in this respect.

As my brain readjusts as I type I am starting to enjoy the signature. I believe this signature will work much better out and about than the N200. I think the MTW will be more isolating but again will know better after I use them on transit.

I left my phone in one room and went to a room where I know signal strength starts to be an issue and these worked as good as several other BT devices I own only being bested by my best full size BT headphones like the MDR 1000XM3. So very happy with BT connectivity. I have one area on my transit route that causes BT dropouts though so will report how they handle that area tomorrow.

The more I listen to these the more I am liking them. I have to he honest. I have always been tempted to rebuy an IE8x product but always stop short because of the $400 price tag so I bought these hoping to give myself some of that sound while getting a good wireless product to boot. The more I listen to these the more I think I may have hit that jackpot.

Still not sure I will keep them as I have to see how long they play on a charge and other factors like BT connectivity. But I am already leaning towards keeping them. Price be damned...

OH, one more thing. Some have mentioned buzzing on these. Now keep in mind I am a 50+ year old man with normal hearing loss for someone my age (pretty much cant hear anything over about 11,000khz) but I hear no buzzing of any kind.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #40,734 of 99,879
kanas pro

@ranchowner I second this recommendation. I have a pair and it's now my most favorite single dd iem. Besting even over my ex1000 and xelento. I use Spinfit double flange tips to get maximum bass out of them. Foams will tame the bass. These are "my precious" and I have a habit of wiping them clean of fingerprints till I can see myself in the mirror like finish haha.

20181212_092534.jpg

Dec 14, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #40,735 of 99,879
@ranchowner I second this recommendation. I have a pair and it's now my most favorite single dd iem. Besting even over my ex1000 and xelento. I use Spinfit double flange tips to get maximum bass out of them. Foams will tame the bass. These are "my precious" and I have a habit of wiping them clean of fingerprints till I can see myself in the mirror like finish haha.

Can you copmare them to er4xr? I'm looking at these flr a while, but not many impresions available..

Dec 14, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #40,736 of 99,879

They might be my next pickup, let's see after christmas :)
For now, I've ordered the Whizzer's.

Thanks for the suggestion, they do seem like a great IEM.

Dec 14, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #40,737 of 99,879
Each day that passes i like my tehnz p4 pro more, and BGVP DMG less.

I actually did a A/B on dmg and kz zst and found them uncomfortably similar sounding :/

Of couse, the bass on Zst are looser, mids on DMG'S are thicker, the imaging is more precise and the sounstage gets more depth, but anyway. Too pricey v shaped signature for me. The mid bass is killing this earphone.
I recommend only if you want a V shaped iem, and in that case, the hifiboy v3 aparently doesn't have the annoying mid bass, and also TFZ king pro should sound more visceral according to b9s review.

I am trying to get rid of mine to get a moondrop kanas/kanas pro

Single dynamic coherence :)

I also think the tehnz p4 pro benefit from an AMP, not any, but a desktop AMP designed for power hungry cans. Plugging them on my topping a30 in the 30ohm output impedance makes them sound bigger, with a much better Bass, more articulate and less congested on the lower end. I think the power can lower the distortion ? I would be pleased if anyone tries p4 pro on a high power output with high OI.

I really see a difference from my Samsung s8, and my topping is plugged on my crap notebook motherboard soundcard (it is really crap) myabe some of the bass thump comes from it, but definitely not the lower distortion that i percieve. If the bigger thump come from the output (i can check later if anyone want) that means that the bass gets more dynamics anyway, being able to receive eq better than on a weak source and sounding more resolving in stock.

I would also ask you guys to try this earphone on balanced if you don't have a high power desktop source, the difference should be also there, IF am not crazy.

These earphones growed on me. They are much more closesr from my he4xx than DMG's for example.

When my desktop dac arrives i will have the final answer.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #40,738 of 99,879
Received my Spinfit tips yesterday.

The comfort that these provide is amazing, far better than any tips I've tried so far ( including foams ).
T88k has been a very tight fit for me, but these do improve the comfort by a good margine.

Though, they do make the T88k sound rather dark and almost muffled - compared to what I know T88k can perform with other tips.
Didn't think these would tame the treble that much, it's a shame.

T88k has extreme benefits for wide tips, which aren't long in terms of height.
I was pretty suprised to see how much the audio signature changed.

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #40,739 of 99,879

Could give some words on z5000 ? They can be a basshead alternative to the likes of good sounding iems on the level of kanas etc ?

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #40,740 of 99,879

a lot of people have no idea how good Kanas Pro is, such a shame, it can compete with some flagships but is not very popular, well what can you do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back