The discovery thread!
Nov 23, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #39,887 of 100,326
So there seems to be a new lucky bag for NiceHCK too. 3 driver earphone with mmcx in blue and green. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...6.html?spm=2114.search0104.0.0.7d0965207TXQwq

HTB1_cCxXZTxK1Rjy0Fgq6yovpXaj.jpg

Damn, been wanting a green earphone. Similar to Neptune and TFZ but not so much or it would be two-pin instead of MMCX but I still have that nice cable I used on the B400 and Semkarch.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #39,888 of 100,326
Based on previous lucky bags. This should be another good one. The other lucky bag from banned seller is compelling as well. They are throwing out a single high end iem in the mix on that one.

If you guys havent tried a Symbio W tip. Honestly for the price these are completely worth a set. You can take the foams out or keep them in place but these tips are right up there with the best of the best tips in the market. No brainer for the price. I plan on getting 2 sets.

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #39,890 of 100,326
You can choose 2 pairs of mediums and 1 large MML

Or just all 3 Mediums MMM. Make sure you go for the W symbios which is their wide bored tips. the standard ones have narrower nozzle which are like your garden variety tips that are packed in with earphones.

I noticed these are great to have opposite of the Spiral Dots. On some earphones the Spiral Dots spread out the sound a bit too much the Symbios W is like 4mm the Spiral dots is 5mm. Just that bit smaller nozzle focuses the sound better on some earphones better than the Spiral Dots.

Again if you dont buy anything today. Go for some of these tips.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #39,891 of 100,326
Oh yeah. Peel is a good deal. 50/50 but the peel price is good so even if they are nearly the same thing as the JVC BT tips then no big deal.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #39,892 of 100,326
I think they turn greyish once you take out the foams. They actually have one tip design but it works well. They sell the de foamed ones called the W peel for even cheaper. $3.57 for 3 pairs. These are way more comfier by the way without the foams. Save the money and go for the peel version. Even a better deal. http://symbioeartips.com/termek/symbio-w-peel/

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #39,893 of 100,326
I ordered the Peel.
images

Not so sure about one of the lucky bags though. Might just want to buy a set of the Mavin air-X TW instead.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #39,894 of 100,326
To me, the symbio felt like a size larger compared to other brands

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #39,895 of 100,326
Is that with the foams in them? Once you take the foams out they become normal to their size. They arent larger than the Spiral Dots for example.

They just feel larger if the foams are in there. If you havent tried it. Try taking the foams out. All it is, is just a donut shaped foam insert.

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #39,897 of 100,326
Didn't know that guy before but the video reminded me somehow of Within Temptation, except not as good. I had a weird feeling of "over the topness" in that song with instruments that didn't really fit together.
On a positive note it made me think of Within Temptation and I am now listening to Black Symphony one of their live album. Still freaking unbelievable after all these years.
That's female vocal right there to test your DM6...

It's on Tidal, listen to it (especially the female duet on "Somewhere").

Arjen needs to be over the top with everything otherwise it's not Arjen :)
The thing is, with the dm6 the highhats and snares sound like a very compressed MP3 whole the rest is flac quality. I checked it at home, playing from my phone to a pair of beyerdynamic t5p and I plugged in the dm6 into my homesystem (a audio-gd r2r-1/nfb-1 stack).
Source for both setups is a flac file I created myself from the original CD. In both cases the dm6 had that weird compressed feeling while the t5p showed no issues there.
I changed symbio tips to spiral dots and that helped, changed westone cable to stock silver cable and that helped (way less btw), but especially in that album I heard that issue.
I like the dm6 alot, but issues with my beloved Ayreon/star one/ambeon/gentle storm/Arjen mastermind is a deal-breaker for me. Both the dm6 and me need a bit more burn in, though I might just have to sell it for this reason.

i think i hear it, but just to be certain: do you mean that the snare and hihats sounded like someone put a hi pass filter on them and boosted a sharp eq around 3KHZ (making the sound tinny and plasticky?

to be honest my etys also exhibit that similar plasticky tone, but they do it across the spectrum, while the DM6 snare on that song sounded off because the other frequency is fat and full sounding.

i tried more tip rolling after you pointed this out, and this might work too for you: try using a narrow bore eartips instead. the Sony eartips work, but also warms up the midbass a bit and mellowed the treble, which i don't like. i settle with Ortofon tips instead:it makes the snare fuller, and also make the overall mid section more forward while retaining the treble crispness

I sent that song as YouTube Audio, straight out of my iPod Touch 6th Generation in AAC Bluetooth into the Sony 1Z as a DAP/ Bluetooth receiver and plugged the DM6 IEMs in. I’m using Sony Hybrid Tips, as I use those or Sony Triple Comfort Tips with everything across the board. The snare drums do sound slighly thin, but not a big issue for me. But guessing......that’s just about the frequency range where I have heard small issues too.

Most folks are going to be alerted audibly by hearing a timbre of an instrument which either they know super well in real life or know super well by hearing the piece of music multiple times. It’s when a familiar tone doesn’t sound right that you pick it up. Still it’s in a really small area and is only maybe the instrument not sounding fleshed out but thin and tin like; cheap.

I heard it way more when I first started using the DM6 IEMs; so maybe my brain is filling in the left out sonic information. The other thing is I listen 90% to electronic music with the DM6 IEMs; which they do amazingly well at. I use them everyday for hours and never really notice this issue much. Remember too, electronic sounds have no reference points in real life, so if you have never heard the song before, there is no baseline for comparison. Also I rarely notice the issue with electronic music I know?

It’s an effect that sounds like studio compression tools. So many times drums and vocals will be compressed anyways in that frequency range, so they can have there compression effect almost amplified by the DM6.

I’m familiar with Ayreon but not The Gental Storm sideproject. One thing though is her vocals sounded correct and not far back or too thin.

It would be great if we eventually have a frequency response graph so we can maybe identify what is happening and varify where it exactly is at on the response curve; if this sonic artifact does exist and is real.

I wonder if it’s simply the result of a frequency which is between the effective responses of the BA drivers themselves. Like a small hole in the response which is left out? What ever it is it’s almost not ever noticeable in my uses, and the more I use the DM6 IEMs the less I care about it, and the more I realize just how fantastic they are for the money.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #39,898 of 100,326
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #39,900 of 100,326
I sent that song as YouTube Audio, straight out of my iPod Touch 6th Generation in AAC Bluetooth into the Sony 1Z as a DAP/ Bluetooth receiver and plugged the DM6 IEMs in. I’m using Sony Hybrid Tips, as I use those or Sony Triple Comfort Tips with everything across the board. The snare drums do sound slighly thin, but not a big issue for me. But guessing......that’s just about the frequency range where I have heard small issues too.

Most folks are going to be alerted audibly by hearing a timber of an instrument which either they know super well in real life or know super well by hearing the piece of music multiple times. It’s when a familiar tone doesn’t sound right that you pick it up. Still it’s in a really small area and is only maybe the instrument not sounding fleshed out but thin and tin like; cheap.

I heard it way more when I first started using the DM6 IEMs; so maybe my brain is filling in the left out sonic information. The other thing is I listen 90% to electronic music with the DM6 IEMs; which they do amazingly well at. I use them everyday for hours and never really notice this issue much. Remember too, electronic sounds have no reference points in real life, so if you have never heard the song before, there is no baseline for comparison. Also I rarely notice the issue with electronic music I know?

It’s an effect that sounds like studio compression tools. So many times drums and vocals will be compressed anyways in that frequency range, so they can have there compression effect almost amplified by the DM6.

I’m familiar with Ayreon but not The Gental Storm sideproject. One thing though is her vocals sounded correct and not far back or too thin.

It would be great if we eventually have a frequency response graph so we can maybe identify what is happening and variety where it exactly is at on the response curve; if this sonic artifact does exist and is real.

I wonder if it’s simply a result of a frequency which is between the effective responses of the BA drivers themselves. Like a small hole in the response which is left out? What ever it is it’s almost not ever noticeable in my uses, and the more I use the DM6 IEMs the less I care about it, and the more I realize just how fantastic they are for the money.

I did some experimenting with the built in EQ of poweramp (the player I am using on my phone). Boosting the 16khz range does wonders! Making me guess it might be a 2nd or 3rd harmonic high up in the hearable spectrum that makes the difference. It still sounds compressed and artificial but way better already.
Swapped to some smaller bore tri-fang tips but in the end the spiral dots still sound best to me. I'll keep the EQ (-2 overall and -1 for 8khz, 0 for 16khz) for the next few moments to find out if it doesn't mess up other things but it sounds a bit better this way. Funny thing is that cranking up the 16khz all the way doesn't make it sound bad; it makes it sound more natural, but with a lot of treble.
Sampled some other songs I know by heart like this (sorry for the moody song) one:

on the HD800S it's an eargasm all the way for me; holding back the tears. On the DM6 I get annoyed by that harmonic failure.

Don't get me wrong the DM6 is amazing and is acutally that amazing that I felt disappointed by this one flaw, the rest of the spectrum is spot on, same for imaging and width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back