The discovery thread!
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #39,901 of 100,363
c266ae19-e1f0-4fca-bd3a-4eb25e70f141.jpg
How do they size? If I typically use medium for foam tips, should I get medium Symbio W?
Thanks for the tip!
actually you can DIY with ear plugs ! i find them pretty good!

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #39,902 of 100,363
I did some experimenting with the built in EQ of poweramp (the player I am using on my phone). Boosting the 16khz range does wonders! Making me guess it might be a 2nd or 3rd harmonic high up in the hearable spectrum that makes the difference. It still sounds compressed and artificial but way better already.
Swapped to some smaller bore tri-fang tips but in the end the spiral dots still sound best to me. I'll keep the EQ (-2 overall and -1 for 8khz, 0 for 16khz) for the next few moments to find out if it doesn't mess up other things but it sounds a bit better this way. Funny thing is that cranking up the 16khz all the way doesn't make it sound bad; it makes it sound more natural, but with a lot of treble.
Sampled some other songs I know by heart like this (sorry for the moody song) one:

on the HD800S it's an eargasm all the way for me; holding back the tears. On the DM6 I get annoyed by that harmonic failure.

Don't get me wrong the DM6 is amazing and is acutally that amazing that I felt disappointed by this one flaw, the rest of the spectrum is spot on, same for imaging and width.

This has actually been unusual for me as I’ve had most headphones or IEMs do one thing or another which is easily findable. And.......it seems like it’s something that you now can find easy? (Congratulations) I on the other hand went looking to find a piece of music that shows it; and could not? There was places where vocals are just slighly thin, but nothing which is really ruining the music experience. My first post in this thread was from a hotel room listening to EDM of 320kbps with the DM6 IEMs and I found them almost perfect. Though my second impression was at home using my reference gear, and yes something was up. After 4 days of burn in it was still there once in a while but slighly fixed? Your hearing must be better than mine.

It reads as if you have also found the DM6 dip in relation to flat also.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #39,906 of 100,363
No need for the foam variety. To be honest most of the guys that used Symbios in the past many have chimed in saying how great the fit is after they take out the foams. Skip the foam variety and go with the peel.

The problem with the foamed W is that they sit very taut in the ear making them very uncomfortable. People resort to using one size smaller foamed tips. Which again is remedied by taking the foams out.

In fact I have a bunch of defoamed Symbios in my box. Hate how they feel in my ear with the foams. Difficult to get a good seal in the ear because of it.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #39,910 of 100,363
Apparently there will be a new update to the FH5 as well the FH7 dynamic with 4BAs.

I heard the preproduction model of the FA7 at Can Jam. To be honest it was forgetable. Nothing really stood out to me on them. We will see how they price those and how they turn out.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #39,911 of 100,363
Whizzer A-HE03 and TRN IM1 arrived today, enjoying both the TRN IM1 has elevated bass, great for EDM and trance. The Whizzer A-HE03 is much more refined with a really clean signature (once I sorted out which tips to use, ended up using RHA ones)

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #39,912 of 100,363
Whizzer A-HE03 and TRN IM1 arrived today, enjoying both the TRN IM1 has elevated bass, great for EDM and trance. The Whizzer A-HE03 is much more refined with a really clean signature (once I sorted out which tips to use, ended up using RHA ones)

Sounds promising, still waiting for mine...

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #39,913 of 100,363
Is that with the foams in them? Once you take the foams out they become normal to their size. They arent larger than the Spiral Dots for example.

They just feel larger if the foams are in there. If you havent tried it. Try taking the foams out. All it is, is just a donut shaped foam insert.

Well yea, of course. But they are special because they have foams in them.

I have tried them without the foams and they are smaller, but that's sort of a given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back