The discovery thread!
Nov 21, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #39,766 of 101,316
20181121_124850.jpg

it arrived this afternoon.

initial listening and tip rolling (the stock wide bore tips makes the midbass a bit too warm) i settled for the JVC spiral dots.

the red looks great on the box, but raising it to the light it looks a bit pinkish red..luckily when worn on the ears it looks darker red like on the box.

i like this iem. an all BA sound with a warmish touch on the overall sound. can't find anything major to nitpick about the tuning: bass has rumble but not shaking my eardrums too much to make me nauseous, the mids recessed a bit compared to the bass and treble just enough to make the staging wide and nicely separated, while i can still enjoy the vocals, treble is extended enough but not reaching the fatiguing point at long sessions (like the EX1000 does).

cable is nicely weighted, although i prefer a straight jack, than this L jack.

i only compared this to my Hisenior B5+ which also have 5 BA configuration and a cheaper price point, at nearly half the price of the DM6.
the DM6 wins on technicalities. i still enjoy the B5+ for acoustics though, even compared to the DM6 because the B5+ has a more "less compressed" and more neutral sound, kind of like listening to unmixed recording tracks that hasn't been applied some compressor/limiter, while the DM6 has a "finished mastering session" kind of sound. the B5+ also has a bit more sparkle on treble and an airier soundstage, while the DM6 has a more punchy and driving sound.

obviously i had bought this, so i don't have to apply my 1 minute rule to review this anymore, as i can take all the time i like :smile:
but if i did use that rule, this DM6 would still pass the test for me.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #39,767 of 101,316
DM6 has slightly recessed vocals? to me they sound about the same as my ATH M40x

or are they talking about the DMG? that's the one with the slightly recessed mids

I don’t thinks it’s just me, others have noted the bread and water vocals. Not necessarily a big drawback in perspective of everything else they do great; but if you had to point out only one thing slightly off with the DM6. I don’t listen to vocal music with them, so rarely notice it at all.

Also I have one pair of DM6 running a balanced cable and one regular single ended 3.5mm. The balanced is a whole new world, after repeated slide by side testing. I would advise anyone with the DM6 to go all out to find a balanced signal. Balanced gets you faster personality, increase soundstage and way better imaging.......it’s not even funny.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #39,768 of 101,316

it arrived this afternoon.

initial listening and tip rolling (the stock wide bore tips makes the midbass a bit too warm) i settled for the JVC spiral dots.

the red looks great on the box, but raising it to the light it looks a bit pinkish red..luckily when worn on the ears it looks darker red like on the box.

i like this iem. an all BA sound with a warmish touch on the overall sound. can't find anything major to nitpick about the tuning: bass has rumble but not shaking my eardrums too much to make me nauseous, the mids recessed a bit compared to the bass and treble just enough to make the staging wide and nicely separated, while i can still enjoy the vocals, treble is extended enough but not reaching the fatiguing point at long sessions (like the EX1000 does).

cable is nicely weighted, although i prefer a straight jack, than this L jack.

i only compared this to my Hisenior B5+ which also have 5 BA configuration and a cheaper price point, at nearly half the price of the DM6.
the DM6 wins on technicalities. i still enjoy the B5+ for acoustics though, even compared to the DM6 because the B5+ has a more "less compressed" and more neutral sound, kind of like listening to unmixed recording tracks that hasn't been applied some compressor/limiter, while the DM6 has a "finished mastering session" kind of sound. the B5+ also has a bit more sparkle on treble and an airier soundstage, while the DM6 has a more punchy and driving sound.

obviously i had bought this, so i don't have to apply my 1 minute rule to review this anymore, as i can take all the time i like :smile:
but if i did use that rule, this DM6 would still pass the test for me.

That’s a great way to describe the sound as a finished master session sound. I totally agree, they somehow relate a polish and completeness and along with the smoothness........it makes long listening runs easy going. I felt they improved after 4 days of burn in, but that’s just me.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #39,769 of 101,316
I don’t thinks it’s just me, others have noted the bread and water vocals. Not necessarily a big drawback in perspective of everything else they do great; but if you had to point out only one thing slightly off with the DM6. I don’t listen to vocal music with them, so rarely notice it at all.

Also I have one pair of DM6 running a balanced cable and one regular single ended 3.5mm. The balanced is a whole new world, after repeated slide by side testing. I would advise anyone with the DM6 to go all out to find a balanced signal. Balanced gets you faster personality, increase soundstage and way better imaging.......it’s not even funny.

yup, balanced is really better for the DM6, I think it really scales with the source

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #39,770 of 101,316
yup, balanced is really better for the DM6, I think it really scales with the source

It’s frankly amazing to me. Where stuff like the Z5 scales up balanced but the DM6.......it’s the only way I can use them?

Lol .......maybe I feel this way because of the price-to-performance ratio, or the fact that it’s new?

And on the midrange area; it’s not a big deal. Some folks absolutely love a hollowed out mid, I don’t and it’s normally the very first thing I notice. The DM6 is walking a fine line where we don’t have a showy standout mid, nor are the mids lacking a ton. I just don’t hear them as one of the showcase personalities of the IEM, that’s all.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #39,773 of 101,316
Nov 21, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #39,774 of 101,316
Well, that's only half true, because the price range of the current mid-fi gear occupies the range where the summit-fi was 10 years ago. Also, now the price disparity between the different segments is greater than ever. What used to be something like: entry-level at sub-$50, lower mid-fi at $50-150, upper mid-fi at $150-250 and TOTL at $250-500 has turned into something like: entry-level at sub-$100, lower mid-fi at $100-400, upper mid-fi at $400-800, lower high-end at $800-1200 and TOTL at $1200-5000.

As someone who has heard a lot of the TOTL gear from before - sennheiser ie8, shure se535, etymotic er4s, westone 4, ath ck10, etc. I can only half agree with the statement that the mid-fi iems of today sound better than all of the top-tier iems of yesteryear. It's definitely not just the tone - detail monsters like the ety er4s and the ath ck10 (and most TWFK-based iems of before) are still detail monsters. Yeah, with the evolution of hybrid designs and BA drivers some of the newer iems might have better low-end or bigger soundstage, better layering, etc. on top of the good details, for instance like the flc8 introduced a marriage between a TWFK and a dynamic driver for the bass.

For me the chi-fi divers used in most of the mid-fi stuff nowadays still can't touch a single TWFK in performance and that's the issue - now we have manufacturers using 6,8,10... 42 drivers trying to win the numbers game while in reality there are far superior 2-3 driver iems out there. In fact, I still stand by my opinion that the closest to an upgrade to something with a TWFK like a brainwavz b2 or ath c10 I've heard is the Noble 4 (now Savanna) and that's a $500 iem, so I wouldn't go as far as saying that all of the current mid-fi stuff (if we're talking $100-250 iems) is better than the old flagships. Some of them are, but mainly because even back there there was stuff like the sennheiser and shure products trying to pass for flagships and being way too overpriced for what they were. With, that said, we do have more versatile iems now and we can get something with good details and good bass for less money - it might not excel in detail retrieval as an ety er4s, but it will have better low-end and pretty good details for cheaper.

The main segment that has really changed is the entry level. Before, there wasn't much choice and there weren't many good sub-$50 iems, but with the progress of chi-fi now we have cheap stuff that is blurring the line between entry- and mid-fi. Also, due to the insane competition more expensive top performers in the mid-fi range of yesterday like gr07, re400, dunu titan 1, etc. can be found at half (and even less) of what they used to sell for.

The times are surely crazy, but I urge people to try to not jump on every hype train and if possible to wait for someone with more experience to chime in before jumping on. It just seems that there are way too many people who don't have proper point of reference when they are recommending the new giantslaying stuff and then a month later comes along the yet another giant slayer and the cycle continues. This advice is especially aimed at people who don't have spare money to burn for monthly experiments. If you only have $50, $100 or whatever amount of money to buy a new product and don't intend to spend such an amount on monthly or even weekly basis, then do your research and get something tried and proven rather than being swayed by the current hype train, which will never return once leaving the station.
this is a very well reasoned post, and i agree with much of it--a number of the old flagships (the akg 3003 comes to mind) may still sound subjectively better than today's mammothly hyped midfi (>$200) multidriver chifis. what's really changed is the whole value quotient--the highly-touted $50-$150 models i started collecting five years ago (ostry, dunu, eph100, jvc fxt90 etc.) just can't hold up to similarly priced current models. plus now you can get >$20 wunderkinds from trn, kz, etc. which are competitive with the aforesaid--that same $20 would have gotten you dollar store junk years ago.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #39,776 of 101,316
wow, one more justification to keep on expending on this hobby. Currently using Caying N3 as a source for my DM6. What would be a nice DAP with Balanced output that does not break the bank?
and of course, a cable to go along with it?

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #39,777 of 101,316
I was in same situation, i went for the dm6. Someone who has both dm6 and A-he03 recommend dm6, another one who has both dm6 and finschi recommend dm6 too.

honestly feel bad for whizzer. they come out with a beautiful, promissing iem but no one seems to buy it because of dm6.:disappointed_relieved: if only they come 2 weeks earlier than dm6 ? fincshi however got its own fan.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #39,780 of 101,316
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back