The discovery thread!
Nov 20, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #39,751 of 100,953
Probably the most charming effect of owning the DM6 is the underdog achievement award it gets. As we all know many times price means nothing here. And while the DM6 is not the most detailed or refined IEM, it’s got an enjoyment factor way beyond it’s cost. I still may be in the new toy phase, or the new signature phase, or the “I can’t believe $199 sounds this good!” phase.........I don’t know. There is obviously more IEMs out there that have a signature like the DM6........I may have demoed them, but I own nothing that sounds like the DM6 exactly?

Of course this hobby is going from one headphone to another to another and back again, but I hope to find an experience like the DM6 again someday. I’ve honestly never heard $199 be this good? I’ve switched from using the more straight-laced 1A to using the Sony 1Z as it wakes the DM6 up slightly. I have also found going 4.4mm balanced to really bring it to another level all together. So really what is amazing is the scalability at hand here. Again a first for my $199 audio history.

It’s probably love when you like an IEM just as much for what it gets wrong as what it gets right?

my thoughts exactly, every time I have an urge to buy something more expensive, I just put on the DM6 and listen to some music and question myself if I really need to spend something like 3 times or more to get something better

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #39,752 of 100,953
FWIW, Hiss and output impedance are not necessarily related. (E.g., I have a low-impedance amp that hisses and a high-impedance amp with a totally black background.) The IEMatch will help with both, though.

To be fair, the SE4 is like usd$40 or something, so its wasn't a fair match at all, haha. A USB DAC with Sabre ES9028Q2M, DSD support for so cheap was too tempting not to try out. The hiss might have been high noise floor, I'll measure the output impedance once I get the time.

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #39,753 of 100,953
my thoughts exactly, every time I have an urge to buy something more expensive, I just put on the DM6 and listen to some music and question myself if I really need to spend something like 3 times or more to get something better

There IS something real here. But just like any new thing, folks are going to throw rocks at it.......it’s human nature.

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #39,754 of 100,953
Radsone ES100 in the house! I am using it with my computer right now just as a straight DAC. So far I like the sound, good little DAC and I haven't even used it for BT use yet! Will see how it pairs up with my S9 when I take the dog for a walk later after my gets a bit of a charge. It seems to be more balanced (from my computer) than the S9 is natively. Hopefully this carries over to Bluetooth. Like the extra battery life it offers assuming their claims are accurate.

I am trying the 2.5 TRRS port with the Brainwavz cable I ordered. So far I am not getting any wow moments from the balanced cable like I got when I used balanced out of my Pono player but I am also using cheaper IEM's compared to my dead Z5's. Was using the Mackie 220 just switched over to the Fender FXA2. ahhhh that's better. Tighter more controlled bass, cleaner mids, and treble. Will try the B400 later when I have a moment.

Just brought down the S9. Time to see how these perform in BT mode. Just listened to Code Cool by Patricia Barber will try the same song in BT mode A/B and see what I hear....

Listening back to back I notice some changes in bass and treble losing a smidge of texture and air but the differences are minor. Unfortunately some of the warmth of the S9 also seems to be present so even over BT the S9 manages to color the sound but it's less than just using the headphone port of the S9. I will have to test A/B straight from the headphone and then the ES100 to really get a good picture which I don't have time for tonight. But I think the ES100 over BT offers as good a sound or better than the S9 headphone jack. Not sure if I should say that's a testament of the ES100 quality or an indictment against the S9...

Think this may make me wish I hadn't wasted money on some of the cables and BT devices I have bought recently...

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #39,755 of 100,953
To be fair, the SE4 is like usd$40 or something, so its wasn't a fair match at all, haha. A USB DAC with Sabre ES9028Q2M, DSD support for so cheap was too tempting not to try out. The hiss might have been high noise floor, I'll measure the output impedance once I get the time.

Some of my favorite amps are hissy, TBH. Good reason to have some low-sensitivity earphones. : )

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #39,756 of 100,953
Toneking bl1 shall be ordered friday, as it's on sale on aliexpress. Let's hope this thing sounds good. I had seen the one headfi review posted that stated the guy had an ex1000 and a few other iems that it could hold its own with. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst, but ya gotta take risks in this game right? I'm really interested in that dm6 tbh, but, the whole slightly recessed vocals thing gets me. Here's something, so the magaosi k3pro, isn't a great iem, EXCEPT, it does guitars, so so well. They sound so engaging and tonality is great, but the highs, and the coherence to the dynamic driver for the low end, are crap. The low end is also boomy and not tactile. It's also a cheap iem at 90 bucks when it was new early last year for me, so I didn't expect totl. So, I found its a knowles Dual Ba 30017, anyone have any idea of an iem that uses this for their mids as well? I tried searching but couldn't find much besides the Fiio f9. That sound, if built around a good high and low end with all ba or a well designed crossover, would be killer FOR ME. That's what I'm searching for, now, I gotta find it. And I mean quality low end, not quantity

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #39,757 of 100,953
OK the ES100 in balanced mode is definitely more separated and sharp. I listened to the Ballad of Johnny Hook by Barney Bental and using the balanced cable there was a guitar being played on the left ear that was so clear it was almost distracting something I never really played attention to so I switched to the regular cable and sure enough the guitar was much less pronounced and clear. If I get to used to that clarity I might have a hard time switching back to "normal audio".

Damn it, now I will have buy a balanced cable for my Nighthawks! The good news is while be able to use with my HE400 as well :).

Has anyone ever connected the ES100 to their phone as a DAC? Thinking but would be more clear like on my PC. Really like this little unit...

Edit: just switched back to balanced and yup, I am done. The difference is so stark I dont think I will be able to convince myself to go back to normal... good think all my best IEMs and headphones can have cable swaps...

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #39,758 of 100,953
Yeah. That happens. I'm not sure I'm much of a believer in the crosstalk issue, but it seems like most amps are much more powerful in balanced mode....

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #39,760 of 100,953
Ya the power was doubled on my Pono in balanced mode. Not sure if that's the same on the ES100 but the clarity is amazing.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #39,761 of 100,953
Ya the power was doubled on my Pono in balanced mode. Not sure if that's the same on the ES100 but the clarity is amazing.
I don’t get double the power on my Shanling M3s in balanced. Nor my Zishan DSD (not true balanced). Pono has a great amp section and their balanced implementation is excellent. Actually hard to beat in DAPs that I’ve heard.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #39,762 of 100,953
OK the ES100 in balanced mode is definitely more separated and sharp. I listened to the Ballad of Johnny Hook by Barney Bental and using the balanced cable there was a guitar being played on the left ear that was so clear it was almost distracting something I never really played attention to so I switched to the regular cable and sure enough the guitar was much less pronounced and clear. If I get to used to that clarity I might have a hard time switching back to "normal audio".

Damn it, now I will have buy a balanced cable for my Nighthawks! The good news is while be able to use with my HE400 as well :).

Has anyone ever connected the ES100 to their phone as a DAC? Thinking but would be more clear like on my PC. Really like this little unit...

Edit: just switched back to balanced and yup, I am done. The difference is so stark I dont think I will be able to convince myself to go back to normal... good think all my best IEMs and headphones can have cable swaps...
If you are in the USA I have a cable that will work for you.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-400i-balanced-cable-2-5-trrs.891996/

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #39,763 of 100,953

If you use it with your phone, on the earsone app there's options to use double power. Love the ES100, really a great device. Only downer is the overall plastic-y feeling (to me, at least), but it's very high quality in everything else, IMHO, starting with SOUND quality :) .

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #39,764 of 100,953
If you use it with your phone, on the earsone app there's options to use double power. Love the ES100, really a great device. Only downer is the overall plastic-y feeling (to me, at least), but it's very high quality in everything else, IMHO, starting with SOUND quality :) .
The 2x current isn't double the power. Don't want to detract this thread but it's in the dedicated thread.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #39,765 of 100,953
No wonder im waiting for the ES200 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back