The discovery thread!
Oct 1, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #38,116 of 99,833
The secret gardens are in a league above in my opinion. The secret garden easily justify the price difference between the 2. They both are on the more fun side of the sound spectrum, but the secret garden is a tier or 2 above in nearly every sound and technical measure.

Really? I had a little trouble with my dmg at first. The stock tips did not work for me even though it felt like I had a good seal. I wasn't getting the bass everyone was talking about and treble region was hot, too foward for me, I did not understand why people liked this iem so much. I tried some sony tips I had, bass was a little better but not as strong as I would like and the highs were still too strong. I was beginning to think I am treble sensitive or BA tech is not for me. I then put some spinfit cp100z tips, that was the ticket! Bass is thicker, fuller and highs are now nice and tamed. I am enjoying the dmg much more now. I am still testing them though. HBB did a good job with this rec. It is a very good, clear sounding iem with nothing really bad to complain about except they should have included a nice balanced cable.

What is it about the secret garden that you liked over the bgvp dmg?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #38,118 of 99,833
One more very happy BGVP DMG owner! These are great! Love the sound on the balanced output of my Hiby R3. My impressions are much like @B9Scrabler described. The stock cable is nice but I installed a balanced cable. I am using the blue balanced filters. The fit is great and stays put without needing to be adjusted constantly. Plus they look amazing!

How's the noise isolation? I've read that it was just average.

Oct 1, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #38,119 of 99,833
I kept thinking to myself "Please stop calling them earbuds." :face_palm:

Haha! Me too! There are a couple of things that will make me immediately disregard a review. That is one of them.

Another is when the review marvels at the price and says something like, "So, what do ONE HUNDRED DOLLAR earphones sound like?" Whatever the price is, pretty much tells me that they don't have much audio experience.

And here's both! Dear god.... :confused:

Screenshot_20181001-184410.png

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #38,121 of 99,833
The driver wars continues. Must be a new record for how many BAs you can stuff in a shell. Lol hows about 21!!

HTB1lykNcQPoK1RjSZKbq6x1IXXaA.jpg

This design is actually brilliant. If you end up with 2-5 BA fails. How you gonna know?

HTB1ioG0XinrK1RjSsziq6xptpXal.jpg

$1360 bux get you 21 divers!!

um, are we having short term memory loss? because pretty sure this thing was brought up like months ago. CTZ-42, they recently revamped their official taobao store so some of their products have FR graphs and cleaner specs listing (also some newer entry level products).

Oct 2, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #38,123 of 99,833
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #38,124 of 99,833
Really? I had a little trouble with my dmg at first. The stock tips did not work for me even though it filt like I had a good seal. I wasn't getting the bass everyone was talking about and treble region was hot, too foward for me, I did not understand why people liked this iem. I tried some sony tips I had, bass was better not as strong I would like and highs were still too strong. I was beginning to think I am treble sensitive or BA tech is not for me. I then put some spinfit cp100z tips, that was the ticket! Bass is thicker, fuller and highs are now nice and tamed. I am enjoying the dmg much more now. I am still testing them though. HBB did a good job with this rec. It is a very good, clear sounding iem with nothing really bad to complain about.

What is it about the secret garden that you liked over the bgvp dmg?
I'll do my best to clarify what I was trying to say about my opinions on the DMG and secret garden. First off, I wasn't trying to infer that the DMG was a bad own and not worth buying. I just personally feel the secret garden is a better own and is worth the price difference. I'll try to explain a little better as to what those differences are. I believe alot of hbb's and my different opinions may come down to preferences in tuning and volume. I listen to my iem's at a lower volume than some people and I feel that alone may be why he and I don't see eye to eye exactly on these iem's. At a lower volume, the Secret Garden are better balanced, with fuller mids and detailed treble. At lower volumes the DMG are more V shaped with thinner mids. I am a vocal music lover, so mids are HUGE to me. Now if you turn up the secret garden to a higher volume, you do begin to lose the balance and get hotter treble and more bass, making them more V shaped. For my listening level, the secret garden tick more of my personal boxes and give me more enjoyment, but as always your mileage may vary. I do think the DMG are good with bassier music and are worth their asking price, but for me, i'd rather get the Secret Garden's as I consider them an upgrade in nearly every way. I feel that if someone is a basshead, or a high volume listener than the DMG may suit them better.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #38,125 of 99,833
I'll do my best to clarify what I was trying to say about my opinions on the DMG and secret garden. First off, I wasn't trying to infer that the DMG was a bad own and not worth buying. I just personally feel the secret garden is a better own and is worth the price difference. I'll try to explain a little better as to what those differences are. I believe alot of hbb's and my different opinions may come down to preferences in tuning and volume. I listen to my iem's at a lower volume than some people and I feel that alone may be why he and I don't see eye to eye exactly on these iem's. At a lower volume, the Secret Garden are better balanced, with fuller mids and detailed treble. At lower volumes the DMG are more V shaped with thinner mids. I am a vocal music lover, so mids are HUGE to me. Now if you turn up the secret garden to a higher volume, you do begin to lose the balance and get hotter treble and more bass, making them more V shaped. For my listening level, the secret garden tick more of my personal boxes and give me more enjoyment, but as always your mileage may vary. I do think the DMG are good with bassier music and are worth their asking price, but for me, i'd rather get the Secret Garden's as I consider them an upgrade in nearly every way. I feel that if someone is a basshead, or a high volume listener than the DMG may suit them better.

makes sense, i think you are on to something, I have noticed some iems, headphones, truewireless sound better louder, some sound better lower. for example my sony wh1000x m2 don't sound that great in low volume, louder much better. I never tried the secret garden but I am curious.

Out of curiosity I tried my bgvp dmg with my Nintendo switch playing Zelda last night, WOW! AMAZING! Sounds were coming from very single direction, birds, wolves, water, boulders, foot stomps, all sounded so good and natural on the dmg. Especially the rain, you can hear every single droplet landing separately! usually rain sounds like just simple white noise with other head sets. I think its the balanced armatures making that effect. The dmg even jumped scared me a couple of times while playing, this should not happen with a game I have been playing for the past year! this iem is a keeper, I am glad I figured out which tips worked best with these, I was very close to selling them.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #38,126 of 99,833
Havent tried mine with gaming but I can see how the DMG will do well with gaming. Has good imaging and enough bass for emersion. Will have to try it on the new Tomb Raider I just got.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #38,127 of 99,833
Just picked the DMG up from amazon .... will get to me tomorrow ... any decent < $50 balanced 2.5mm cables that anyone can recommend. I have a Onkyo DP-X1 and wanted to try out the balanced port. Thanks!

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #38,129 of 99,833
If you want quick delievery you can try something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Plate...3769&sr=8-19&keywords=mmcx+balanced+cable+2.5

You can generally find these cables on Aliepress for cheaper but it will take up to 3weeks to get to you.

this is good, I need this as the dmg came with 3.5 cable. whats the difference between the 6 and 8 cores, and silver? I don't know newbie here, I would like to get something good, but not blow budget, I see some cable prices OMG!

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #38,130 of 99,833
I get cables that have the 2.5mm balanced out since my sources all do balanced out. I just use a 2.5mm female to a 3.5mm male adapter to use the same cable in single ended mode if I want to use one of my amps that dont have balanced out. As for the cores. I like 8 cores, has the right amount of thickness to the cable and looks beefier vs the 4 core variety. Does an 8 core sound beter than a 4 core? Probably not. Materials add to the cost. The connectors based on materials can also add to the cost. If you shop on amazon ebay and especially Aliexpress. There are too many cables to metion. For the most part cables bought unseen on alixpress are good. I have yet to run into an absolute fail on cables.

General rule of thumb for me is that I try not to buy cables that actually cost more than the earphones themselves. An 8 core Silver Plated Copper wire is a good place to start and it goes up from there depending on where and what material. I recently bought a 4 core silver cable to use with my NK10 and even though a pure silver cable actually cost more than an SPC or copper cable. For me it is worth it.
HTB1TkyaqcyYBuNkSnfoq6AWgVXab.jpg

If your new to the cables and or earphones in general I would start with the included cable the phones come with. I like the stock cable that the DMGs have It also is an SPC cable.. It is better than what most manufacturers provide. If you need a cable to go balanced. Don't need to spend a lot on cables. If your willing to wait a bit. Getting them off of Aliexpress is the best way to go since they are cheaper. Especailly if you use their coupons.

Something like this from niceHCK only cost $25-$30. I would try something like this first.

HTB1SHD5rbZnBKNjSZFrq6yRLFXas.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NIC...2060-4776-83fa-8a138521ffcd&priceBeautifyAB=0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back