The discovery thread!
Sep 11, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #37,726 of 106,725
So here is a bit of a discovery last night. I went on a tip buying spree last month and got some symbios Wides. They work great but everyone was saying how you should get one size smaller since large is LARGE. When I measured the tip against my other large sized tips they are actually average size for a larger tip. Not larger than the Spiral Dots or my UE tips. But what makes them feel even larger is the foams that are underneath

upload_2018-9-11_7-18-46.jpeg
Which is actually the whole point of these things since they add extra isolation with the better sound of silicones. Last night I was thinking of moding the tip a bit to get them more comfortable for me and so I flipped the upper portion of the tips backwards to see if the foam part underneath was glued on there and lo n behold they are just held in place due to great design. The foams underneath are just cut perfectly. You can easily take them out without much fuss. No glue nothing. I can now use the Large W symbios without the foam which end up being much more comfortable for me.

the stem of the symbios are roughly the same width as the Spiral dots so I threw on the foams on my Spiral dots and what you know they fit like they were made for them. So what I got was Spiral Dots with even better isolation and Symbios that are way more comfier to use.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #37,727 of 106,725
So here is a bit of a discovery last night. I went on a tip buying spree last month and got some symbios Wides. They work great but everyone was saying how you should get one size smaller since large is LARGE. When I measured the tip against my other large sized tips they are actually average size for a larger tip. Not larger than the Spiral Dots or my UE tips. But what makes them feel even larger is the foams that are underneath

Which is actually the whole point of these things since they add extra isolation with the better sound of silicones. Last night I was thinking of moding the tip a bit to get them more comfortable for me and so I flipped the upper portaion of the tips backwards to see if the foam part underneath was glued on there and lo n behold they are just held in place due to great design. The foams underneath are just cut perfectly. You can easily take them out without much fuss. No glue nothing. I can now use the Large W symbios without the foam which end up being much more comfortable for me.

the stem of the symbios are roughly the same width as the Spiral dots so I threw on the foams on my Spiral dots and what you know they fit like they were made for them. So what I got was Spiral Dots with even better isolation and Symbios that are way more comfier to use.

I may give this a try. I also find the Symbio's a little uncomfortable (pressing against the ear) and this might help. I also happen to have like 8 pairs of medium sizes :) Testing should be easy.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #37,728 of 106,725
Ya I always thought the foams were glued on underneath but they are not. You will get a foam ring when you take that out. It is much easier than you would think. You can use that foam piece on other tips too to make them more isolating. But it leaves some room for experimentation.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #37,729 of 106,725
So guys that are looking for great tips to use on your earphone collection. out of the the Spin Fits I bought last month it turned out to be the CP145 that was surprising.

61%2BD1PaSTBL._SL1500_.jpg

I have been forever trying to find a similar tip to my Sony HM1c. These are it. They sit a bit longer than the Sony tips but has almost the same design with identical bore size too. Worth booting for a pair on Amazon.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #37,730 of 106,725
Ya I always thought the foams were glued on underneath but they are not. You will get a foam ring when you take that out. It is much easier than you would think. You can use that foam piece on other tips too to make them more isolating. But it leaves some room for experimentation.

Ya, I have bunch of tips - Final Audio E series, Symbio W/N, JVC Spiral Dots, Spinfits (100/800), Shure olive tips, Comply (100/400/500) and a bunch of stock tips and I find there's no one size fits all tip. Need to tip roll to find what you think is the best sound.

It's costly $$$ :)

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #37,731 of 106,725
Out of all my tips I wish I could just buy the tips that came with these earphones. The old Sony H1Mc
mh1c-black.jpg

Some of the best tips I have ever used. Those Spin fits I posted earlier comes very close I would say 90% to these most importantly they sound identical to them.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #37,732 of 106,725
Ya, I have bunch of tips - Final Audio E series, Symbio W/N, JVC Spiral Dots, Spinfits (100/800), Shure olive tips, Comply (100/400/500) and a bunch of stock tips and I find there's no one size fits all tip. Need to tip roll to find what you think is the best sound.

It's costly $$$ :)

I never toss tips, I have found over the years you never know what tip will work best for a particular iem and ones own ears. I've had tips in the past that absolutely sucked on some iem's for me yet be the bomb on others. I can't even remember who or what half my tips came with so sometimes it's just narrowing it down to what works best in which configuration. Sometime even my preferred Auvio's get the sh1t kicked out of them by some off brand:rolling_eyes: I do know I'll go through my entire collection before I'll give up on a pair of iem's though:wink:

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #37,733 of 106,725
Uuuuuurrrgh audboz or dmg audboz or dmg audboz or dmg audboz or dmg audbo or dmg.

All that i have in my mind now.

But i will take audboz for the team. Unfortunately you will have to wait for a long time till it reaches my hands.

I will do a formal review of them. Making clear to reader my point of view. A sub 50$ chi fi user that aims to get a clear upgrade. Will the audboz fill my expectations ? We'll see.

The signature seems awesome to me. Flat sound without a bass roll off and a gentle treble. Perfect. Similar to the re-400. Maybe the closest to what it would be my favorite signature. High expectations here. Unfortunaly i shoulg get a waiting time of more than month.

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #37,734 of 106,725
I have a set of Moondrop Kanas Pro IEM's enroute to me. I have only found 1 review, written in German, however it sounded favorable so on impulse, I placed my order. I am weak!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #37,735 of 106,725
Moondrop Blessing looks very promising. @crinacle got a review unit and measurements of it. Hoping he grades it decent. Might take the plunge because it looks clean. There are SKorean measurements which match/support @crinacle's measurements. Raised bass. Neutral-ish mids. Dip in sibilance region. Fair amount of treble.

Anybody, especially @crinacle, know whether the Moondrop Blessing's BAs are Knowles/Sonion?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #37,737 of 106,725
Moondrop Blessing looks very promising. @crinacle got a review unit and measurements of it. Hoping he grades it decent. Might take the plunge because it looks clean. There are SKorean measurements which match/support @crinacle's measurements. Raised bass. Neutral-ish mids. Dip in sibilance region. Fair amount of treble.

Anybody, especially @crinacle, know whether the Moondrop Blessing's BAs are Knowles/Sonion?

There is a graphic image of used drivers and it's not too hard to figure out which ones they are (unless they are a copy of some sorts but at 400$ I think they must be using legit BAs).

HTB1_J3bqiOYBuNjSsD4q6zSkFXay.jpg

This would be:
1) Knowles TWFK or SWFK for treble (probably SWFK given the usage of another mid driver)
2) Sonion 2800 series for mids
3) DD for bass

Sep 11, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #37,738 of 106,725

Which is actually the whole point of these things since they add extra isolation with the better sound of silicones. Last night I was thinking of moding the tip a bit to get them more comfortable for me and so I flipped the upper portion of the tips backwards to see if the foam part underneath was glued on there and lo n behold they are just held in place due to great design. The foams underneath are just cut perfectly. You can easily take them out without much fuss. No glue nothing. I can now use the Large W symbios without the foam which end up being much more comfortable for me.

Asked earlier in the thread but didn't get much of a response. Is there a difference between the "n" and "w" for the symbios? Curious to try them but don't like ordering from abroad if I can help it and cost £15 from audiosanctuary uk. Two sets of those is very nearly a set of impressions.

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #37,740 of 106,725
Asked earlier in the thread but didn't get much of a response. Is there a difference between the "n" and "w" for the symbios? Curious to try them but don't like ordering from abroad if I can help it and cost £15 from audiosanctuary uk. Two sets of those is very nearly a set of impressions.

Stands for "narrow" and "wide," respectively, and refers to the nozzle width that they are suited for. Narrow fits IEMs like Shures or Brainwavz with a thin nozzle; wide fits IEMs like TFZs or the P1, basically most things that a Spiral Dot or Auvio would fit. For the KZs I've used, wide would be the way to go.

EDIT: Sorry, I mentioned KZs because I thought I was on that thread. The information is still valid, just less relevant. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back