The discovery thread!
May 30, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #36,451 of 101,400
May 30, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #36,452 of 101,400
May 30, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #36,453 of 101,400
I’m really excited to hear them nice and broken in. I’m already enjoying their massive soundstage and technical ability with the KZ Starlines and Urbanfun wide bored tips. In what ways did you find they changed?

Also, where did you get your spiral dots? The ones on Amazon are really expensive and they don’t have ML. I guess M would suffice.

Not a huge change but for me at least I noticed the BAs actually expand and tighten the sound each BA is supposed to portray. This was also the case for the DZ12 I recently got as well. I do remember on first listen the bass being loose sounding on open listen and I can see how guys will not be too happy with the bass end at first, but I don't have anything loose on my pair as far as sound goes. All the components of these earphones being brand new. Even if you don't believe in burn in. Give it a try you have nothing to loose but a better sounding HK6. Cables and tips will also help shape the sound the way you want it as well. I am just using the stock SPC cable but do use spiral dots. which is good enough for me. My pair has the most run in of anyone elses here and I can say they sound better than they ever have.

For everyone that don't like the recent moderation. It wasn't due to any of you and it wasn't due to anything really graph related. It was due to one person. Graphs are a welcomed part of the conversation. But like anything we argue about here it can be taken out of context. This whole I am right and you are wrong debate leads to ugliness none of us want to read about here. The way I see it there is nothing wrong with posting graphs I do it myself all the time, but there is a point when a poster gets a bit out of hand. That is when mods will step in. It will happen every time.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #36,460 of 101,400
I've bought 1 pack each of M, ML and L. I have only 1 pair of Large left and 4 pairs of Spiral Dots that I can't tell which are M or ML. They all pretty much look and feel in my ears the same. The MS I can definitely tell the difference. Unless I've bought 2 packs of Medium and lost all my ML tips lol. What a pain. Either way, like I've said a few times now I need smaller tips with the HK6, my normal Medium and up tips just seem to do something a bit weird to the sound.
Interesting. I usually switch between large and medium tips with all my IEMs, so I’m wondering if the M spiral dots would be alright. I ordered them early today, but maybe I can get MS if they don’t work out. Also how does tip size alter the sound on the HK6? I kinda noticed it with the large and medium Starlines, but I can’t quite pinpoint the difference.

May 30, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #36,461 of 101,400
Not a huge change but for me at least I noticed the BAs actually expand and tighten the sound each BA is supposed to portray. This was also the case for the DZ12 I recently got as well. I do remember on first listen the bass being loose sounding on open listen and I can see how guys will not be too happy with the bass end at first, but I don't have anything loose on my pair as far as sound goes. All the components of these earphones being brand new. Even if you don't believe in burn in. Give it a try you have nothing to loose but a better sounding HK6. Cables and tips will also help shape the sound the way you want it as well. I am just using the stock SPC cable but do use spiral dots. which is good enough for me. My pair has the most run in of anyone elses here and I can say they sound better than they ever have.

For everyone that don't like the recent moderation. It wasn't due to any of you and it wasn't due to anything really graph related. It was due to one person. Graphs are a welcomed part of the conversation. But like anything we argue about here it can be taken out of context. This whole I am right and you are wrong debate leads to ugliness none of us want to read about here. The way I see it there is nothing wrong with posting graphs I do it myself all the time, but there is a point when a poster gets a bit out of hand. That is when mods will step in. It will happen every time.
Ah, so each BA will adjust with enough playback in order to get the intended/best sound? Normally I don’t believe in burn in, but I’ve experienced it on very very few earphones so I’m definitely willing to see what happens to the HK6. Man, BAs are so finicky sometimes; it’s why I avoided them for years.

Just a side note: I noticed that some part of the treble range sounds really sharp to my ears and it’s a bit irksome. I can’t quite figure out the frequency it’s at, but there’s something above 7k Hz that’s quite painful with higher-pitched cymbal crashes on higher volumes. Any idea of what this is and if it’ll improve any?

May 30, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #36,462 of 101,400
HTB1Zd47gRjTBKNjSZFuq6z0HFXaY.jpg

There is a treble spike around 8Khz but it is not a big spike like the Fiio F9 here. You should be able to tame that peak a bit by using foam tips. If you have foams from any of your other earphones give them a try

9936116_l.png
Fiio F9.

May 30, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #36,463 of 101,400
I can't wait to do a direct comparison to the HK6, even though the Hisenior has 1BA more per side, they are about the same price ballpark.
The HK6 is 6 BA and the HS is 8, by my calculations that is 2 more per side?

Interesting. I usually switch between large and medium tips with all my IEMs, so I’m wondering if the M spiral dots would be alright. I ordered them early today, but maybe I can get MS if they don’t work out. Also how does tip size alter the sound on the HK6? I kinda noticed it with the large and medium Starlines, but I can’t quite pinpoint the difference.
For me personally I found I need Smaller silicone tips, ie MS Spiral Dots, Small Wide Bore Symbios and Small KZ Stars. Going to test out my Small KZ Whirlwinds. Foams I can use Medium size as they contract and expand and not create an instant seal like silcone tips. The bigger tips created a weird clarity issue in the midrange, esp my medium Spiral Dots.

Of course, like i said earlier, the downside to the MS Spiral Dots was after about an hour my ears were getting sore. I really only listen 30-60 min every few nights, though with the HK6 I didn't want to stop listening after 2hrs even though my ears were so, I just wanted to keep hearing all my music and take in the HK6 sound sig. Really taking in how much detail it can produce, I mean, its 6 BA's for 200 freaking dollars.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #36,464 of 101,400
Just a side note: I noticed that some part of the treble range sounds really sharp to my ears and it’s a bit irksome. I can’t quite figure out the frequency it’s at, but there’s something above 7k Hz that’s quite painful with higher-pitched cymbal crashes on higher volumes. Any idea of what this is and if it’ll improve any?

Should improve... I noted in my initial impression that I noticed some sibilance on a particular track even after a day or two of burn in and revisiting the same song now that sibilance is gone.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #36,465 of 101,400
I agree here. In fact the treble of the HK6 is done extremely well. It is one of the better musically tuned earphones I have treble wise it has very nice clarity and sparkle when called for but does not sound artificial or strident that I can hear.

In fact it is the treble area that is so good on these that I compare my other earphones to as a reference when I listen critically for reviews.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back