The discovery thread!
May 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #35,956 of 100,464
Yep DSnuts, I went with the Hybrid SD7 (you said they had a bit more treble energy, compared to the SD7plus, and I definitely like/need that). Got a white pair, not the black one, but the MMCX female connection on these seems to be very well made, needs a hard push to click into place. Have no idea if it's the old one or a new one, of course, but it definitely seems really well made.

May 9, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #35,957 of 100,464
Agreed. Bang for buck on the SD7s. Try using wider bored tips on them will bring out the best on the SD7s.

Oh by the way. I haven't mentioned I tried using one of my silver cables on the SD7 hybrid. Sounds superb. So they scale to better higher end cables.

May 9, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #35,959 of 100,464
Like many times before, Dsnuts has convinced me to get an IEM, this time the HK6. The man has destroyed many wallets, and is much appreciated for it.
HCK is also many favorite China based store as well, so that helps.

I never truly loved the A5, even after massive tweaking, despite LZ being one of my favorite IEM companies. I hope they come out with something closer to the Big Dipper at the A5 price for the eventual A6 next year.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #35,960 of 100,464
Lolz! All I am doing is focusing some attention to excellent sounding iems. And it has been an eye awakening perfect storm.

Aliexpress anniversary sales. Which lead me to buying these also with the HQ6. NiceHCKs leading competition. I didn't know which one to try out so I got both.

HK6 is superior and for the record. The HQ6 is no joke of an earphone either. Those are getting 5 Star reviews left and right from owners as well. But take it from a guy that owns both. HK6 is special.

I have yet to discover a better sound for the money. This is the honest truth. And it comes from NiceHCK!

May 9, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #35,962 of 100,464
Like many times before, Dsnuts has convinced me to get an IEM, this time the HK6. The man has destroyed many wallets, and is much appreciated for it.

I never truly loved the A5, even after massive tweaking, despite LZ being one of my favorite IEM companies. I hope they come out with something closer to the Big Dipper at the A5 price for the eventual A6 next year.

No EQ needed on the HK6. In fairness I like the new filters a lot better than the previous ones.

The Japanese beat you @Dsnuts to NiceHck's wonder but we are catching on

Ya those crazy Japanese enthusiasts. They swarm to good sound it seems. Lol. Actually they have more active threads about audio in Japan than probably anywhere else in the world. Just look at how many audio stores there are in Japan alone.

I have seen aliexpress vendors selling on Japanese online shops so these earphones are catching fire with Japanese enthusiasts.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #35,965 of 100,464
Don't know the Japanese equivalent of Headfi. But I remember there was only like 32 purchases of the HK6 when I bought it. Every single 5 star review was from Japanese customers.

I told myself. There is something up with these HK6. Got me curious enough to buy one. And here we are.

May 9, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #35,966 of 100,464
You got the hybrid SD7 and not the plus model correct? So they came up with a new all black one. Don't know if you guys saw this. I just noticed they are using an impoved mmcx female end on these black shells.
HTB1AI1shH5YBuNjSspoq6zeNFXaq.jpg

I would most definitely burn them in, the bass will be a bit wooly on open listen. HK6 will be a nice upgrade to the SD7s sound but it doesn't diminish the good sonics on the SD7. Still have them in my earphone rotation.

Unsure if this has been addressed but....if you (or anyone else) have the Ibasso IT01...how would either or both the SD7s and the HK6 factor in - essentially would the IT01 just be knocked out of rotation (obsolete) in terms of sound quality and signature? Is it that much of a step up in your opinion?

May 9, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #35,967 of 100,464
Unsure if this has been addressed but....if you (or anyone else) have the Ibasso IT01...how would either or both the SD7s and the HK6 factor in - essentially would the IT01 just be knocked out of rotation (obsolete) in terms of sound quality and signature? Is it that much of a step up in your opinion?

Good question. It01 I am a big fan of and is one of the better $100 earphones you can buy. Would clearly recommend them in the price range. You want something that is gonna get you a higher end sound now your dealing with earphones with more dimensions.

IT01 I did a comparison against my HK6. After hearing the HK6. IT01 sounds flat, less defined, sound separation is not as good. We are dealing with 6 BA drivers in the HK6 and 5 drivers in the SD7. I know more drivers don't mean better sound but to be honest the IT01 lack dimensions both of these earphones have especially the HK6. IT01 sounds great for what it is and has excellent low hitting bass, good mids and highs. That stage is the real trump card for the IT01. Love the fairly wide stage on them.

But you don't realize just how uninspired the mids are on the IT01 til you hear the HK6. I still use my IT01. It is not out of the rotation of earphones I listen to. That sub bass impact. It is a fun earphone to listen to. They are just not on the same level of sound quality as the HK6.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #35,968 of 100,464
This has to be the best thread for music nirvana
Have to agree with you on that.

Have agree on this as well. DS has been responsible for breaking wallets and have to appreciate him for his recommendations. So far his recommendations have been really awesome. Even though I bought sd7 hybrids before i came across this thread.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #35,969 of 100,464
@Dsnuts which japanese site do you use to identify this gems ?... maybe there are more iems like this for cheaper prices...

You should look out for HungryPandas impressions of this phone we recently discovered for less than a hundred. 3 crossovers, 5 Knowles BAs, 3 sound bores with 3 tuning filters. Getting excellent feedback from owners to boot. For less than a $100. Pandaman decided to take one for the team. Should be very interesting.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/His...&terminal_id=9288825ae59944dabcf2d669a7ba712c

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #35,970 of 100,464
I don't think there's really a jp headfi equal. Seems to mostly be social media word of mouth + some blogs. Maybe whispers outside e-earphone.

Like the SEMKARCH orders seem to be pretty high and impressions are good and I think most of that is just coming from twitter impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back