The discovery thread!
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #35,581 of 105,269
Got an answer from Jim@ NiceHCK. A direct upgrade on the HK6. Hows about doubling the BAs to 12.. DZ12

HTB1mmVRRXXXXXa9XVXXq6xXFXXXw.jpg

Gonna start saving up for these...My rule of 3s apply here. 4 BAs for treble 4 BAs for mids and 4 for Bass? These could very well be end game.

This is using the same nozzle design I like a lot on the HK6 and the shell obviously looks bigger. The interesting thing about these. There is no reviews on them. But there are about 10 for the 14BA top of the line iems from NiceHCK. Price difference is not that different from 12BA to 14BA so I can see how people will be buying the 14BA earphone. But again Jim didn't say the 14BA was the upgrade to the HK6. He showed me these. With double the BAs in the house. I can see this being a nice upgrade on the HK6.
But the price difference between the two ( HK6 and SZ12) is huge, DZ12 is for $771.00 witch is more than triple the price of HK6 , wonder the DZ12 have a 3x better sound quality compared to HK6,

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #35,583 of 105,269
But the price difference between the two ( HK6 and SZ12) is huge, DZ12 is for $771.00 witch is more than triple the price of HK6 , wonder the DZ12 have a 3x better sound quality compared to HK6,
We need a millionaire guinea pig who would take one for the team :D

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #35,585 of 105,269
Ya the hobby is never cheap. But the reason why the HK6 shines so much is it is a brilliantly tuned Iem and will give people some insight into customized BA sound. Whomever is tuning these for NiceHCK is a master at their craft.

I was chatting with a friend last night about this but it makes plenty of sense to me that these vendors on Aliexpress has some crazy good sounding IEMs what we are not aware of. There are more music enthusiasts in all of China than anywhere else in the world. Guess where a lot of the materials for iems comes from.

My past experience with AT iems for example. There is a black market for rejected AT iems in the Chinese market. You can find plenty of them on Aliexpress. Those rejects end up sounding exactly the same. So are they dupes or are they rejects?. One thing all that has taught me is there are no one better on the planet that can reproduce/ copy a good sound than the Chinese. Sure plenty of great sounding stuff is made all over the world but I bet they are made in China. That my friends is a leg up.

The HK6 is a prime example of someone knowing something about tuning and making it for NiceHCK.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #35,586 of 105,269
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #35,587 of 105,269
How do they fit compared the LZ A5, the A5 fits in my ear, but the rounded housing is too big for my right ear and I can’t use them for more than 5min.

Wouldn’t mind trying these based on your impressions just afraid I will have same fit problem.

Sorry to hear that. I don't think these will be any more comfortable for your right ear. They are slighly bigger fitting than the A5.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #35,589 of 105,269
Ya I suppose you have to have equal sized ears to have these fit correct. They are actually not as big as they look in pictures but are semi custom universals so they are shaped like the concha for the ear so they will fit snug. This adds to the isolation on them.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #35,591 of 105,269
You guys have to remember the actual price on these are $269 and that is what is being sold from the competiton for the HQ6 which has the exact same configuration.

I can certainly ask NiceHCK folks how long they plan on having this sale price but like most things that are good. Must come to an end.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #35,592 of 105,269
Well I can confirm the HK6 sounds just as engaging through single ended sound vs balanced. This being said I love how even more engrossing they are in balanced. Single end is no pushover however.

Listening to some Wayne Shorter, now Chet Baker. Jazz sounds absolutely spectacular through these. I am listening to single ended via Sony ZX300A and it is everything I have been saying here and more. These spacial separation and roominess of the sound is unheard of at this price range.

Another thing I noticed about the HK6. They sound spectacular with everything I have used on them thus far. I cant choose which of my sources it jives with better simply due to the fact that it jives with all of them.

It does not seem to be finicky about cables, or sources. It sounds great with all of it. Guys that jumped on these today. You all are in for a treat. I will just tell you so right now!

I see that one of your favorite iem is the Sony z5. Can you please do a comparison between the z5 and hk6?

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #35,593 of 105,269
Z5 is one of my all time favorite earphones. It scales to better equipment and has that classic Sony high end sound to it. It was my first foray into balanced sound using my Pono in balanced. It is one of those iems I will probably never get rid of simply cus I enjoy em so much.

There are some similarities with the HK6 due to the fact that both have this roomy spacious sound. While the stage of the HK6 is not quite as wide it does not have any type of confined feeling to the sound what so ever due to the clever tuning on them. They sound like how other earphones sound in balanced but in single mode. Very dimensional even more so than my SD7 plus in balanced which has 7 BAs in them.

Z5 has the larger brawnier bass both mid and sub but that is to be expected. But what has really surprised me here is the HK6 has excellent quality full bass end. It is definitely boosted but not overcooked. Zero drop off to 20 hz that I can hear. If sub bass is in your track it will come out in full force. The big difference between the two here is the mids. The mids has more to the HK6 than the Z5. It has more substance more depth more cleaner and dimensional sounding from memory. ( Don't have either of them right now as I type so this is based on my usage of them)

The HK6 has one of the best visualized mids I have heard for anything I own. It is not only precise but has crazy layers to it. Those mult BAs for the mids seems to be doing thier thing here. The mids are much more dynamic than the Z5. Z5 almost sounds a bit too smoothed out in the mids casted by the larger bass end has a warm tilt to the sound. HK6 is a much better balanced sound vs the Z5. Not warm and not bright. Though using different cables can brighten the sound or add a touch of warmth. That is up to the user but over all tuning is absolutely brilliant.

Treble on the Z5 is absolute work of art. Extended yet silky and non fatiguing. Again HK6 here while a bit less in the silky department is equaly quality here. I tested one of my tracks with a upper highlighted tune last night and the HK6 can hit every treble note with no issue what so ever. No added splashiness or grain. Clean yet detiled. I listen for suble tone changes in high hat notes and these do it with ease.

After owning the HK6. They make me realize what my other earphones are lacking. That is sign of something special.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #35,594 of 105,269
Z5 is one of my all time favorite earphones. It scales to better equipment and has that classic Sony high end sound to it. It was my first foray into balanced sound using my Pono in balanced. It is one of those iems I will probably never get rid of simply cus I enjoy em so much.

There are some similarities with the HK6 due to the fact that both have this roomy spacious sound. While the stage of the HK6 is not quite as wide it does not have any type of confined feeling to the sound what so ever due to the clever tuning on them. They sound like how other earphones sound in balanced but in single mode. Very dimensional even more so than my SD7 plus in balanced which has 7 BAs in them.

Z5 has the larger brawnier bass both mid and sub but that is to be expected. But what has really surprised me here is the HK6 has excellent quality full bass end. It is definitely boosted but not overcooked. Zero drop off to 20 hz that I can hear. If sub bass is in your track it will come out in full force. The big difference between the two here is the mids. The mids has more to the HK6 than the Z5. It has more substance more depth more cleaner and dimensional sounding from memory. ( Don't have either of them right now as I type so this is based on my usage of them)

The HK6 has one of the best visualized mids I have heard for anything I own. It is not only precise but has crazy layers to it. Those mult BAs for the mids seems to be doing thier thing here. The mids are much more dynamic than the Z5. Z5 almost sounds a bit too smoothed out in the mids casted by the larger bass end has a warm tilt to the sound. HK6 is a much better balanced sound vs the Z5. Not warm and not bright. Though using different cables can brighten the sound or add a touch of warmth. That is up to the user but over all tuning is absolutely brilliant.

Treble on the Z5 is absolute work of art. Extended yet silky and non fatiguing. Again HK6 here while a bit less in the silky department is equaly quality here. I tested one of my tracks with a upper highlighted tune last night and the HK6 can hit every treble note with no issue what so ever. No added splashiness or grain. Clean yet detiled. I listen for suble tone changes in high hat notes and these do it with ease.

After owning the HK6. They make me realize what my other earphones are lacking. That is sign of something special.

This reads like the DZ7 without the DD driver for bass. The mids are definitely where the magic is. But I think I'm done buying iems for awhile ( happy with the N5005, U12, DZ7, ME.1 and LZ A5). My concentration is on finding a good DAP that gives me massive storage, balanced 2.5mm connection, Hi-Res sounds and the latest Bluetooth technology to connect with my N5005 and my car). Looking at Opus and some Cowon models right now. Not sure about the Pioneer and Onkyo DAPs yet. Oh, I'm not trying to pay in the thousands for a good DAP either. That Sony ZX300 will pretty much be the same sound as my Sony ZX100 (it has 128GB internal plus a slot to put in a card), so I'm not really looking in that direction. The Sony ZX100 does sound marvelous with a battery life that goes on for weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back