The discovery thread!
Apr 19, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #35,446 of 101,293
What are the absolute cheapest ciem Regardless or popularity or sound quality Just throw cheapest possible ?
Might help if you post your location? Minerva hearing in the uk have the mi Performer single ba £205.00.

Edit to add if you don't mind second hand then Custom Art in Poland have some good offers on. Do a search for Custom Art second hand and the google link should come up from facebook.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #35,447 of 101,293
The only problem of the A5 filters is that it could have a different thread pattern unique to the A5 only. Which would be a waste of money to buy them for the Semkarch. If I didn't just spend a bunch of money on new earphones out of Aliexpress I would be all over them earphones. They intrigue me. I bet they sound awesome.

Just as soon as I sell a new A45 I have I might still get the BGVP cable but not going Semkarch. LZ can tune nicely but so can Final so gonna order the E4000. Probably the new Fiio BT cable to go with it.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #35,448 of 101,293
Looks like I'll be receiving the Toneking TK2 and Rose North Forest tomorrow, happy days

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #35,449 of 101,293
Looks like I'll be receiving the Toneking TK2 and Rose North Forest tomorrow, happy days
Definitely looking forward to hearing other impressions of those Rose North Forest. The name makes me think of band names from the 60's where the joke was they put adjectives in one bowl and nouns in another and picked 1 of each (strawberry alarm clock, Jefferson Airplane, Velvet Underground, Beach Boys, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, and I'm really showing my age)

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #35,450 of 101,293
Please leave your impressions of the TK2 whenever you feel comfortable with it's sound. I've been looking at them alot lately and am very interested in how they sound. Have you happened to have listened to the Magaosi K5 by chance? The TK2 look identical to the K5, as well as several other iem's I've seen on Ali express. I wonder if they all are the same, except for the branding ,or if they're indeed tuned differently.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #35,452 of 101,293
They are sitting on the back of a USPS truck on the way to my state of Colorado. I am gonna guess that I should have them maybe by Monday. Weather delays in Chicago had them sitting there for a few days. It is currently In transit. Meaning it is on the way to me. How quick I have no idea.

The crazy thing is because of the delay now my order of cables I got at the same time will catch up to the HK6 order and I should get both my HK6 and 3 cables I ordered at the same time. One of them being that blue colored SPC cable that should match up with the HK6.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #35,453 of 101,293
Please leave your impressions of the TK2 whenever you feel comfortable with it's sound. I've been looking at them alot lately and am very interested in how they sound. Have you happened to have listened to the Magaosi K5 by chance? The TK2 look identical to the K5, as well as several other iem's I've seen on Ali express. I wonder if they all are the same, except for the branding ,or if they're indeed tuned differently.
Similar shell. Different tuning. It's the Chi-Fi way lol

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #35,454 of 101,293
They are sitting on the back of a USPS truck on the way to my state of Colorado. I am gonna guess that I should have them maybe by Monday. Weather delays in Chicago had them sitting there for a few days. It is currently In transit. Meaning it is on the way to me. How quick I have no idea.

The crazy thing is because of the delay now my order of cables I got at the same time will catch up to the HK6 order and I should get both my HK6 and 3 cables I ordered at the same time. One of them being that blue colored SPC cable that should match up with the HK6.

After all the purchases I'm hyped up

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #35,455 of 101,293

I'm in a similar position. The cables I ordered have been sitting in the post office since yesterday and SD7 Plus is in a truck somewhere but I hope it arrives today, so I can pick them up together

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #35,456 of 101,293
Hope to see everyones take on thier new Chi fi toys soon.

So I have my SD7 hybrid in my ears as I type. I have to say the SD7 hybrid is no joke either. It is astonishing the sound you can get for a bit over a hundred in cash now a days. Leave it to the Chinese to come up with no name DIY earphones that sound way better than they should.

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #35,457 of 101,293
Seeing the mention of DIY brings up a question I've had before. When perusing through the Ali offerings I've seen other IEMs with the DIY phrase. I take that to mean Do It Yourself. Which means I was expecting to see an offering with some assembly required. But these IEMs look complete needing nothing additional and are the same as any other IEMs that you could purchase.

So exactly what does DIY mean when seen on Ali about earphones?

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #35,458 of 101,293
Good question. If you look at a lot of the semi custom earphone on the express. They not only look alike but also have very similar configurations.

From how I understand manufacturing in China. There are a variety of OEM factories that make earphones/ electronics goods in general and the earphone manufacturer sells their goods to business front men that label a name on the said earphone and sell them on the webs. DIY I assume is not literally do it yourself but has a bit of a generic reference to the meaning.

The OEM factories take drivers stuff them in housings of earphones for you and you see them in various names and forms. The start up earphone companies more than likely get their earphones all from the same OEM factories. A bit of a tweek here and there according to how they want them to look and sound and whala. DIY according to niceHCK, CSLewis, Toneking, exc exc earphone.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #35,459 of 101,293
Seeing the mention of DIY brings up a question I've had before. When perusing through the Ali offerings I've seen other IEMs with the DIY phrase. I take that to mean Do It Yourself. Which means I was expecting to see an offering with some assembly required. But these IEMs look complete needing nothing additional and are the same as any other IEMs that you could purchase.

So exactly what does DIY mean when seen on Ali about earphones?

On AliExpress, there are plenty of earphone & earbud shells available, if you want to DIY - https://www.aliexpress.com/af/earph...lanktest=0&jump=afs&SearchText=earphone+shell

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #35,460 of 101,293
Good question. If you look at a lot of the semi custom earphone on the express. They not only look alike but also have very similar configurations.

From how I understand manufacturing in China. There are a variety of OEM factories that make earphones/ electronics goods in general and the earphone manufacturer sells their goods to business front men that label a name on the said earphone and sell them on the webs. DIY I assume is not literally do it yourself but has a bit of a generic reference to the meaning.

The OEM factories take drivers stuff them in housings of earphones for you and you see them in various names and forms. The start up earphone companies more than likely get their earphones all from the same OEM factories. A bit of a tweek here and there according to how they want them to look and sound and whala. DIY according to niceHCK, CSLewis, Toneking, exc exc earphone.

We should go to China and create a DIY Dsnuts Headfi Edition with 10BA IEM ( Of course it's 5 a side )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back