The discovery thread!
Jan 6, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #34,876 of 99,959
can u share where you bought this.. I'm also looking for replacement cable for my rt-1

the 2 pin I got for the RT-1 is in balanced. Most of my iems are mmcx so it was interesting to hear the RT-1 in balanced. When I first heard it in balanced mode I thought something was off. It sounds overly spacious. Almost like when you hear a dolby configuration. Much more so than any of my mmcx cables put out in balanced. So I put the cable on my HEM8 and it also sounded too spacious as well the EDCs. The spaceial effect of balanced from this cable gives a strange artificial widening of sound. I am thinking there is something not right about the cable itself. Going back to stock cable it sounded like it always has.

So the RT-1 will accept .77mm 2 pins but I think it is more .75mm. The changes to sonics due to the cable being silver coated copper does give a better balanced sound with a bit more treble energy and tightening of the bass end. So SPC seem to benefit the RT-1 but due to this particular cable sounding off. I would go single ended.

I also put on my SE adapter to see if the sound to change to a normal field and again it sounded off. I am certain the cable I got is no good.

I haven't given up on the RT-1 however. I will get a SE cable for them and try again.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #34,877 of 99,959
the 2 pin I got for the RT-1 is in balanced. Most of my iems are mmcx so it was interesting to hear the RT-1 in balanced. When I first heard it in balanced mode I thought something was off. It sounds overly spacious. Almost like when you hear a dolby configuration. Much more so than any of my mmcx cables put out in balanced. So I put the cable on my HEM8 and it also sounded too spacious as well the EDCs. The spaceial effect of balanced from this cable gives a strange artificial widening of sound. I am thinking there is something not right about the cable itself. Going back to stock cable it sounded like it always has.

So the RT-1 will accept .77mm 2 pins but I think it is more .75mm. The changes to sonics due to the cable being silver coated copper does give a better balanced sound with a bit more treble energy and tightening of the bass end. So SPC seem to benefit the RT-1 but due to this particular cable sounding off. I would go single ended.

I also put on my SE adapter to see if the sound to change to a normal field and again it sounded off. I am certain the cable I got is no good.

I haven't given up on the RT-1 however. I will get a SE cable for them and try again.
interesting on the 2-pin 0.75mm, because I tried RT-1 it with my KZ ZS5 cable which I think is 0.75mm and it's a bit tight and I don't dare to push further the pin.. So I was thinking like maybe the 2-pin must be smaller than 0.75mm

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #34,878 of 99,959
It should be fine. That balanced cable is a bit thicker than stock pin configuration. I am thinking it is .77mm. While it fits tight I can push it in all the way. I just bought a 2 pin KZ SPC cable to try out with the RT-1 in single mode will report once I get it. Wasn't too expensive to try out.

I don't know of a smaller 2 pin configuration than .75mm. So it has to be.

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #34,879 of 99,959

Did they wire it out of phase? Put it in backwards and see what happens.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #34,880 of 99,959
Ya tried this as well and it sounds exactly the same. Something is definitely off. Tried the ear pieces in opposite sides. Backwards forwards. It all sounds the same. No change to how it sounds. But what is really strange is on some tunes it actually sounds proper but on most of em it is like the sound is in dolby.surround but backwards. Bass forward and instruments and vocals behind. Like the music is inverted or something. It sounds like this on every earphone I put the cable on.

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #34,881 of 99,959
I use tips from the Kef M200 on it.

Think I actually have them in the mess that is my iem draw. Maybe I can even find them, thanks!

Addendum: tried the KEF (found the headphones, with 2 sets of tips), didn't make much difference in fit. Trying Complys, think they may do the trick.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #34,882 of 99,959
Curious what those Oomo are all about Jant. They look interesting. It will be curious to find out if the market speak is just that or for real. Looking forward to your take on what your hearing.

Okay, Getting my head around them. First there was a bit of low end clarity trouble out of the box. Seems to have cleared up cause I can use my normal EQ's now and can compare to other stuff. They can fit tips at two depths which adds to the testing out. Out further is for more bass, or better fit/isolation if you need. Two position posts would be familiar to those who have had Radius, Elecom, or some AT CKS models. I am sticking more to the inside position which the foams use as the second is only really good for silicone tips. To show...
IMG_0579.JPG

I have used them outside and am happy to report the cable doesn't stiffen up like some even in single digits. I like the housings. Reliefs are good except none out of the Y join.

They really try to do the multi-channel sound thing. The reverb EQ's in the Cowon BBE suite never actually worked before in any useful way:) Tried out video, podcast, radio, and music so far. They do like better recordings for the best effect. I seem to hear them trying to give separate accentuation for vocals, cymbals, guitar range, and sub-bass. Even when I heard the cloudy bass early on it didn't hurt the mids or cymbals at all. Songs do sound different in the presentation and what is thrown forward into focus. For music which is not set up like movies or podcast or other recording they don't image much different than ordinary, like a decent earphone but still those "channels" are well defined for their frequency ranges. Stage is good. Varies with the type of recording. A big stage but not the biggest to the edges but might be the biggest I have on hand. The imaging test I like to use first is the helicopter in REM's "Orange Crush". The Oomo can't define it, detail it, or image it as well as my 8-core cable B400 can but not a bad showing. What the Oomo does do is push the mids forward and give that sub woofer bass so it is more in your face and "movie-like" seems a good term. Tries to show off the treble too but they don't have the treble extension or brightness of the quad armature so it is more muted and polite.

As I mentioned, the Oomo make sense of the Reverb and EQ setting on the Cowon suite. They push the treble on my Sony minidisc with Atrac files which is a crappy format for treble but the Oomo highlights what is there more which is good for a codec that kills more info up top in favor of bass. Took to my two sports talk radio stations for a spin and you can usually hear one has more of a bass level than the other but not much more. With the Oomo there is quite a difference and you can hear more of the mic set-up recording the room. Now one seems to have a better set up and is more 3D than the other which is cool.

They do what they should in a movie or well recorded podcast(the produced kind with story and voice actors and sound effects). The sub is the things that is emphasized in all kinds of listening. Nicely separate and strong to thunderous when called for. The bass and vocals big and bold and in your face and coming from different areas without it being a negative but you understand what it is going for.

So far, they are big and bold and indeed have that multi-channel sound. Not half bad a driver it seems as well. It is more about the fun, being immersive, and giving a "feel good sound" that they put on the box. Interesting as I can see them fitting in for what they do and being more unique. perhaps having more of a place and more use/enjoyment than other below $100 phones you may buy as a back up or to go along with some pricier audiophile earphones. I think those tend to fade even if they fill a need or niche. This may just have more staying power in that roll. We will see :) They are growing on me and I like when a phone can do that.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #34,883 of 99,959
Thanks Jant, they sound interesting. Could be a fun option especially for Netflix :)

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #34,884 of 99,959
My rt1 finally arrived (tracking still says it hasn't reached my country) and as I thought I didn't get the hard cable with jack but did get a second set of connectors for the Bluetooth (?mistake - might contact seller about cable). Very happy with the sound from the Bluetooth but eager to see what it is like with cable.
Will be interesting what anyone finds cable wise although I don't need balanced though.

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #34,885 of 99,959
I decided to do a small A/B/C test today. All 3 off my LG V20, WI-1000X via BT Aptx HD, Sony MDR-Z7 running in Quad Hifi DAC high Impedance mode, Audiofly AF140 running in Quad Hifi DAC high Impedance mode. I have also posted some comments from memory about the Z5.

Song, Patricia Barber Code Cool

I chose to compare against these 2 products because the Z7 is the best Sony product I still own that works and is the bench mark and AF140 is my highest end working IEM at the moment with a hybrid dual BA 9mm dynamic driver configuration.

Unsurprisingly the Z7 has the largest sound stage but aside from that one obvious advantage all 3 of these products share very similar signatures. So if you own a Z7 you would get a similar type of signature from the WI1000X or the AF140.

There are differences though. The WI1000X has a more impactful thicker bass than the Z7 and the AF140. From memory I would say it is more like the XBA-Z5 which is more impactful than the Z7 as well but I think the Z5 also has more detail than the WI1000X. The AF140 on the other hand is very similar to the Z7 for bass. The AF140 is slightly more aggressive in the midrange than Z7 and WI1000X and exhibits a small but noticeable amount of grain. Treble on all 3 is similarly polite yet still detailed, none of these would satisfy a treble-head. The AF140 has slightly better 3D imaging of the 3 with the Z7 and WI1000X being very close behind. Again from memory I would say none of these are as good as the Z5 in this regard but this area is Z5 biggest strength.

I am impressed with the level of detail the WI1000X gives. I am having a hard time noticing a drop off in this regard which is impressive considering it is bluetooth, albeit the best quality of Bluetooth aside from LDAC. It is even more impressive since both headphones I am comparing against are wired and running in high impedance mode on my phone which allows them shine at their best.

When you add in the ANC and other benefits provided by the WI1000X you get a very compelling IEM in my opinion. They are expensive but worth their price.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #34,886 of 99,959
It should be fine. That balanced cable is a bit thicker than stock pin configuration. I am thinking it is .77mm. While it fits tight I can push it in all the way. I just bought a 2 pin KZ SPC cable to try out with the RT-1 in single mode will report once I get it. Wasn't too expensive to try out.

I don't know of a smaller 2 pin configuration than .75mm. So it has to be.
I suppose this is the cable that you mentioned
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...6861.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.d0de34cCVYHkv

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #34,888 of 99,959
Some of us are liking the wireless so this may be interesting to see in a few days...

"CES 2018 will feature the premiere of Audio-Technica’s first in-ear wireless headphones with Pure Digital Drive technology. This award-winning system keeps the audio signal completely digital from source to driver to offer never-before-available wireless headphone sound quality."

Jan 7, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #34,890 of 99,959
Think I actually have them in the mess that is my iem draw. Maybe I can even find them, thanks!

Addendum: tried the KEF (found the headphones, with 2 sets of tips), didn't make much difference in fit. Trying Complys, think they may do the trick.

Also remember that the iSine20 doesn't require a deep fit inside the ear canal, You just want a tip that s wide enough to seal the ear canal a bit and get the right angle (for me I push the stem to angle sort of upwards). So you can't think of wearing these like your typical in-ears. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back