The discovery thread!
Oct 3, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #32,641 of 99,941
  Congratulations mate to having a great iem, 
 really nice to know that they have small housing and very comfortable ( according to Skullophile DZ9 have bigger shells to carry 9 drivers setup and fit is bit tricky)  i think the manufacturer made some more improvements in drivers management to keep the shells even smaller and more comfortable, 
how about the soundstage and instruments separation,?  
please also post some impressions how thet sound directly from a smartphone,, thanks. 

Thank you. Soundstage is average, but has very nice depth (think of it as a normal sized space within the confine of your head, but with a radial that stretches out in front of you and behind you). 

Instrument separation is a big plus for the DZ9. There is no smearing or muddying of details between instruments. There is a blackness between the space that each instrument plays (pretty apparent when listening to Jazz quartets).

Will try the DZ9 via my iphone 7 if i can find that bloody adaptor that i seem to have misplaced lol. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #32,643 of 99,941

The DZ9 came today.

Initial impressions:

Fantastically small for a 8 BA + 1 Dynamic driver IEM.

Comfortable as hell (It's more comfortable than my CIEM - go figure). 

2 Pin connection isn't the best - too shallow, the provided cables are snug but the memory wire is horrible. 

I used my own Null Audio Vitesse Copper cable instead. it fits but is not as tight as i would like it to be, it works though. 

On to the sound (And this is from about 8 hours of continuous playing with medium spinfit tips) 

Flat, neutral with excellent inner detail.

Highs are fantastic, high hats have plenty of air and crispness. (A certain wetness to the sound, which i like). 

Vocals are sweet but not overly so, however, with its flat and neutral tuning, i would assume some EDM or Hiphop fans would prefer a bump in the mid bass for slightly punchier bass, but for me it is sufficient at the moment. 

Bass is well controlled but not exaggerated, again in line with it's flat tuning. 

Separation is very good, with inner detail retrieval (little spatial cues, quirks in the recording) all being represented without any fuss at all.

I've been listening to it via my iDSD so far, but will head home and listen to it on my Mojo to compare further. 

Good initial impressions. It doesn't seem like it veers too far from the DZ7 based on your thoughts. I would suggest playing around with tips and depth insertion if you want more bass. It's never going to be a basshead earphone (if it's signature is like the DZ7), but I've found that a more shallow fit - to let that hole for the bass breathe - gives me a deeper tone. The bass always shows when needed too. Happy listening. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #32,644 of 99,941

The DZ9 came today.

Initial impressions:

Fantastically small for a 8 BA + 1 Dynamic driver IEM.

Comfortable as hell (It's more comfortable than my CIEM - go figure). 

2 Pin connection isn't the best - too shallow, the provided cables are snug but the memory wire is horrible. 

I used my own Null Audio Vitesse Copper cable instead. it fits but is not as tight as i would like it to be, it works though. 

On to the sound (And this is from about 8 hours of continuous playing with medium spinfit tips) 

Flat, neutral with excellent inner detail.

Highs are fantastic, high hats have plenty of air and crispness. (A certain wetness to the sound, which i like). 

Vocals are sweet but not overly so, however, with its flat and neutral tuning, i would assume some EDM or Hiphop fans would prefer a bump in the mid bass for slightly punchier bass, but for me it is sufficient at the moment. 

Bass is well controlled but not exaggerated, again in line with it's flat tuning. 

Separation is very good, with inner detail retrieval (little spatial cues, quirks in the recording) all being represented without any fuss at all.

I've been listening to it via my iDSD so far, but will head home and listen to it on my Mojo to compare further. 

Thanks for your impressions. How's the build quality overall, do you think it will last long including the connectors?

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #32,645 of 99,941
Thanks for your impressions. How's the build quality overall, do you think it will last long including the connectors?

The Shells themselves are good, the connectors not so. There is no recess for the pin to sit in, it's literally flush with the shell. I reckon if it's used at home one should have no issues but i would not risk them for on the go use. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #32,646 of 99,941

Good initial impressions. It doesn't seem like it veers too far from the DZ7 based on your thoughts. I would suggest playing around with tips and depth insertion if you want more bass. It's never going to be a basshead earphone (if it's signature is like the DZ7), but I've found that a more shallow fit - to let that hole for the bass breathe - gives me a deeper tone. The bass always shows when needed too. Happy listening. 

Am using spinfits at the moment, will give the JVC Spiraldots a go later. Thanks!

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #32,647 of 99,941
Thanks Wil. I should have ordered my DZ7 with mmcx connectors even though I'm not a huge fan of mmcx.

EDIT: Just contacted Jim to see if he can make the 2pin socket more recessed into the shell. Waiting for his answer.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #32,648 of 99,941
Thanks Wil. I should have ordered my DZ7 with mmcx connectors even though I'm not a huge fan of mmcx.

EDIT: Just contacted Jim to see if he can make the 2pin socket more recessed into the shell. Waiting for his answer.

All the best! If they manage to fix that for ya, you're gonna love them. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #32,650 of 99,941
Oct 3, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #32,651 of 99,941
Stop. If it isn't hybrid or have 8 driver they aren't here interested anymore.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #32,652 of 99,941
Stop. If it isn't hybrid or have 8 driver they aren't here interested anymore. :D

LOL! I promise it won't happen again...... or maybe just once or twice more :wink:

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #32,653 of 99,941
How 'bout...

Maxell beat the rest, AFAIK, with a Graphene driver but single driver. Nothing to see here.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #32,655 of 99,941
The main(domestic home country) company sites or if Japanese E-earphones or Phile-web etc. will give the info first usually. Though the Graphene are actually pretty old news now(late July news). Still cool. 20 - 70,000 F.R. lol but they are suppose to have some treble Graphene drivers and you don't need no stinkin' armature drivers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back