The discovery thread!
Nov 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #26,461 of 106,383
I have to say the Z7 is quickly becoming my favorite headphone I own. I am hoping it isn't just the honeymoon phase and then I suddenly don't like them. But right now they are simply stunning. The bass isn't really heavy it's just REALLY WELL DONE! The amount of detail is so enjoyable. It's not the most detailed headphone I have owned but I honestly believe this is by design not by mistake. I am finding myself listening at louder volumes that I typically would but not experiencing ear fatigue when I do it. It's almost as if the bass doesn't get louder but the other frequencies do. So suddenly everything sounds right and you get this unbelievably large sound experience.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #26,463 of 106,383
I went Z7 because I couldn't bring myself to pay the same price for the Z5 its like I needed to feel like I was getting something for my $700.

Crazy thing is I am enjoying this from every source I have tried. They make it seem like you need a $1000 amp and matching source to enjoy it but while that may be true to get all it can be I am very happy from even my humblest sources and 256k MP3 files.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #26,465 of 106,383
The Z7 are indeed non fatiguing and very forgiving of any source. But that bass roll-off just kills it for me, the rumble isn't there, kickdrums and bass drums just doesn't sound quite right to me.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #26,467 of 106,383
Give me a sample song that sounds wrong for me to try. So far kettle drums sound amazing as does any bass instrument used in Jazz as well as Cellos. I also tried the Song Rest by Beckah Shea and loved the heavy bass at the beginning of the song.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #26,470 of 106,383
Sony store.... its calling out to you....

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #26,471 of 106,383
Trying this one  I like the bass at the beginning a lot.

This one  not so much.

Arvo Pärt : Symphony No 3 sounds simply awesome in the one track I have with a kettle drum roll that is just awe inspiring. Unfortunately I can not find a similar youtube video but this one is close and still sounds awesome.

Here was another good track but again the youtube versions just don't do it justice.

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #26,472 of 106,383
  I was holding out for the T10's but the impressions left me wanting a different type of sound.  A83's seem to be that sound.  Who knows though, T10's could be pretty good but there's so many good bassy phones, another one really isn't anything new.  

^
Those A83s sound sweet but style wise ain't my cup of tea sadly. : / 

i know i is superficial like that. :  )

i am crazy curious regarding how the Sony Z5s turns out though $700 for an iem is nutso territory for me. haha

Can always wait i out though until they drop in prices if they indeed live up to the hype, then there is also the new $300 line that replaces the H3 so....

I have to say the Z7 is quickly becoming my favorite headphone I own. I am hoping it isn't just the honeymoon phase and then I suddenly don't like them. But right now they are simply stunning. The bass isn't really heavy it's just REALLY WELL DONE! The amount of detail is so enjoyable. It's not the most detailed headphone I have owned but I honestly believe this is by design not by mistake. I am finding myself listening at louder volumes that I typically would but not experiencing ear fatigue when I do it. It's almost as if the bass doesn't get louder but the other frequencies do. So suddenly everything sounds right and you get this unbelievably large sound experience.

^
So dweaver do the T10 s sound anything like the KEF M200s at all??? You haven't given me a solid reply yet regarding my speculations. You have heard the M200 correct???

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #26,474 of 106,383
^
Those A83s sound sweet but style wise ain't my cup of tea sadly. : / 

i know i is superficial like that. :  )

i am crazy curious regarding how the Sony Z5s turns out though $700 for an iem is nutso territory for me. haha

Can always wait i out though until they drop in prices if they indeed live up to the hype, then there is also the new $300 line that replaces the H3 so....

^
So dweaver do the T10 s sound anything like the KEF M200s at all??? You haven't given me a solid reply yet regarding my speculations. You have heard the M200 correct???
I think the T10i has more bass slam than the M200 not as heavy as the H3 but heading in that direction. I felt it has treble that was close to the same as the H3 which I felt was polite for both. But have to admit my H3 may have not been fully burned in. Also both comparisons are done from memory versus actual A/B testing so are going to be suspect.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #26,475 of 106,383
Vocals might be right up there with the A83 but the dynamic micro driver adds a sweeter sound over the armatures. Not better but different. A83 is still better all around by a good margin.

hey Danny, how does the A71 compare with the zero audio lineup?  are they more than another
99 midprice consumer entry or a real tech breakthrough? or should one just skimp and save up
for the A83s being so much better, curious, drblue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back