The discovery thread!
Oct 26, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #26,371 of 103,149
Pretty ingenious(depends on the execution) that the housing doesn't touch you just the three points, the tip, stabilizer, and stem/relief at the bottom. Only silicone and elastomer no "edges hurt me" complaints if they did the job right. And the FXT90 still gets an 8.9 from joker. For about $150-ish the 200LTD should be a real solid entry worth keeping an eye on. Not bad on the eyes either. Modest yet handsome.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #26,374 of 103,149
So I just got a new Fiio X1. Hooked it up to my seldom used E11K and what you know.. This little combo makes for a better player than the X3. Pretty shocking how good this thing sounds hooked up to my SRH1540. If you guys was considering a new dap or a throw around player. Would definitely consider the X1. It sounds decent enough without an amp but with one changes to a new animal. Very nice.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #26,375 of 103,149
So I just got a new Fiio X1. Hooked it up to my seldom used E11K and what you know.. This little combo makes for a better player than the X3. Pretty shocking how good this thing sounds hooked up to my SRH1540. If you guys was considering a new dap or a throw around player. Would definitely consider the X1. It sounds decent enough without an amp but with one changes to a new animal. Very nice.

How does it compare to the X3>E11K?

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #26,376 of 103,149

This is music to my ears.  I already have the E11K and the X1 is out for delivery today.  Looking forward to trying out the combination!

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #26,377 of 103,149
I have the IM03 and the A83 now. Have them both with me switching off with the Fiio X1. Wonderful synergy with both earphones and this DAP (using a 128gb micro card). First, the IM03 is the best universal 3-BA IEM I've ever heard. This is what I wished the TF10 sounded like (leaning toward warm, but with details and clarity of some of he cooler sounding BAs I've heard). And the bass is just wonderful and visceral (the sub-bass really reaches down for an all BA IEM). Is it basshead levels? No, but I can't see a basshead being disappointed with the bass. Plenty of sub-bass, but in nice balanced sound. Mids are wonderful too. I don't have the SE535 anymore, but I still have my SE530 (wrapped up in duct tape but still playing). Well, the IM03's mids handily competes with the SE530's mids. The highs have more sparkle than the SE5530. To be honest, I haven't been this impressed with an all-BA universal since the TDK BA200 and Doppios (and the IM03 beats the BA200 from head to toe). Doppios may have more clarity and transparency, but the sound is not as full as the IM03. This may be the most natural sounding all BA universal I've heard too (since the BA200). I love it. Does it beat the dual push-pull dynamic ATh-CKR9 and CKR10? No, but in some ways the three are even in sound quality. The Sound signatures are nothing alike, but all three have excellent bass. Actually, the CKR series has great bass to my ears. I prefer the CKR series (especially the CKR 10), but the IM03 isn't that far behind to my ears. One other thing about the IM03. It is really tip dependent to get the optimal sound out of it. The stock tips will not do. The way the nozzle is shaped, it's long and thick. I needed a wide bore large tip to get any type of good seal (seal is imperative), but most tips I tried failed for me. This included my got JVC Spiral Dots, UE900 and UETF10 tips. And foam tips suck the life out of the sound to me. So I've settled on some wide obscure large wide body silicon tips (an old pair Senn IE8 single-flange, and a couple pair that I don't know where they came from). Those are backups. But then I kept thinking about using a silicon tips that doesn't have such a wide bore, but has never let me down with BA universals before. Those tips would be the large Phonak grey silicons. Wow! Eureka!! These tips give me the perfect seal and sound. The IM03 doesn't need a deep seal inside of your ear canal, but it needs a solid seal. The Phonak serves this purpose. I am a happy camper.

Now, for the Fidue. I've been listening to it out of the box for about 15 minutes. I'm using the large single flange silicon stock tips. Out of the box, it has bass (sub bass included), but it's not as deep as the IM03's bass. This is not bothering me though. I expect the bass to get better as the dynamic driver opens up. The mids and highs, however have a beautiful yet smooth clarity and transparency out of the box. Comparing to the T-Peos and Dunu triple-hybrids I've heard (1 dynamic and 2-BA), I would say those two brands of hybrids had a harsher sound to my ears than the A83. Actually, the A83 is not harsh sounding at all. The Dunu 1000 and H-200s had deeper bass, but I wouldn't say the bass was better than the Fidue bass. I am going to tip roll when I get home and burn the Fidue, but out of the box I am very pleased. And yes, although I can't call it right now, I can state that the Fidue is pointing in the direction of being the best universal triple hybrid I've heard next to Aurisonics AS-2 (still king for me). Some great products are out guys. I just saw the A83 on amazon for $259. If that's price is still there, run don't walk! It's a steal at that price. ijs

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #26,378 of 103,149
Eric, fantastic write up!!!  I'm a HUGE fan of IM03 and agree 100% with every word of your impression.  Also, I would highly recommend you to look into silver-plated upgrade cable from Lunashops, reviewed here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/review-of-audio-technica-ath-im01-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70/795#post_10734593 - it will take IM03 sounds to another level, trust me!

I'm also glad you mentioned CKR9/CKR10 since I'm waiting to review these as well (AT US finally going to start carrying it in their store).  Also, been eyeballing A83 since I found Altone200 to be too harsh for my taste.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #26,379 of 103,149
  Eric, fantastic write up!!!  I'm a HUGE fan of IM03 and agree 100% with every word of your impression.  Also, I would highly recommend you to look into silver-plated upgrade cable from Lunashops, reviewed here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/review-of-audio-technica-ath-im01-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70/795#post_10734593 - it will take IM03 sounds to another level, trust me!

I'm also glad you mentioned CKR9/CKR10 since I'm waiting to review these as well (AT US finally going to start carrying it in their store).  Also, been eyeballing A83 since I found Altone200 to be too harsh for my taste.

He did have a terrible time with Lunashops, remember?

Edit: Of course, this doesn't mean he shouldn't follow your suggestion. Just hope that there's another shop that sells that type of cable.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #26,380 of 103,149
How does it compare to the X3>E11K?

If comparing the stock player from X3 to X1. The X3 does have a edge SQ wise but again this is the stock players but my intention was to pair up the X1 which is very similar to the size of Fiio's E11K amp and it is a perfect match these two stacked. The E11K is the perfect amp to throw the line out SQ of the X1 into overdrive. I haven't tried it yet as I just got the X1 but I suspect paired up with my C5 it will bring the sound of the X1 to yet another level.  From being an owner of the X3 since the first batch I have to say I am more impressed with the X1 and E11K combo while being $40 less than what I payed for the X3.  The X1 and E11K combo has plenty of power to drive every can I own as well as be dead silent for every earphone I own. It is a great combo and I suspect with some more use the sound will open up more so.

I am getting a very similar synergy from using the E11K on the X3 as I am with the X1.

This is music to my ears.  I already have the E11K and the X1 is out for delivery today.  Looking forward to trying out the combination!

Your gonna dig it. The X1 by itself is not too shabby either but with the E11K. It was like they were made for each other.

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #26,381 of 103,149

Glad your digging on them IM03 ericp. I agree with twister here. Of all the earphones that jump in SQ with a new cable. Wait till you hear what that IM03 sounds like with an upgraded cable. Completely worth tracking an upgraded cable. You will see what we mean. More so than how cables affect the FX850 or the H3. The IM03 goes into yet another level of sound.

A little theory I have but I think it was originally intended by AT to have a premium cable on the IM03 and IM04 but probably threw the cost of both of them up a bit too much so they left it out as an option. In any case my stock cable is collecting dust at the moment and probably will never be connected to my IM03 again actually.

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #26,382 of 103,149
ericp10, thank you for your words. I am new-buyer of IM02 and for me it's very bright, i can't listen it. I want to change it to IM03. You are writing you love more CKR10 than IM03. Is it really good?
IM03 costs for 15$ more on a Amazon. 
But on Amazon Japan CKR10 costs less for 30$ than IM03.
Shipping from JP is not problem for me.
What is worth to choose?
Thank you much.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #26,383 of 103,149

Glad your digging on them IM03 ericp. I agree with twister here. Of all the earphones that jump in SQ with a new cable. Wait till you hear what that IM03 sounds like with an upgraded cable. Completely worth tracking an upgraded cable. You will see what we mean. More so than how cables affect the FX850 or the H3. The IM03 goes into yet another level of sound.

A little theory I have but I think it was originally intended by AT to have a premium cable on the IM03 and IM04 but probably threw the cost of both of them up a bit too much so they left it out as an option. In any case my stock cable is collecting dust at the moment and probably will never be connected to my IM03 again actually.

You know, it didn't add up to me either when I first saw IM03/IM02 original cable.  They really do look like a cost-reduction afterthought, reminding me of thinner electric appliance cable lol!!!  Also, for my personal taste, IM03 memory wire is not helpful at all since I would prefer to position these earpieces first and then wrap a cable around my ears.  With that particular soft replacement cable, it works quite well without a need for memory wire, and also a wire cinch helps to secure it.  Btw, I'm also using my IM03 with UE900 silicone wide bore eartips.

Here is a picture from my E12A review I posted last night (pic with HS6 kit w/o a skin, and with a skin and rubber band attached).  Btw, X5 + E12A + IM03 => WOW!!!  I do like C5 amp, but the synergy of X5 and E12A out weights it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #26,384 of 103,149

It's been over 50 days and I still haven't seen my Lunashops silver cable, twister6. I have an open dispute against them with paypal, but my pal is saying they're going to take another 30 days before they make a decision about refunding my money. Too bad I won't know about this cable, because I will never do business with them again. I have to take your word for it. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #26,385 of 103,149
  I have the IM03 and the A83 now. Have them both with me switching off with the Fiio X1. Wonderful synergy with both earphones and this DAP (using a 128gb micro card). First, the IM03 is the best universal 3-BA IEM I've ever heard. This is what I wished the TF10 sounded like (leaning toward warm, but with details and clarity of some of he cooler sounding BAs I've heard). And the bass is just wonderful and visceral (the sub-bass really reaches down for an all BA IEM). Is it basshead levels? No, but I can't see a basshead being disappointed with the bass. Plenty of sub-bass, but in nice balanced sound. Mids are wonderful too. I don't have the SE535 anymore, but I still have my SE530 (wrapped up in duct tape but still playing). Well, the IM03's mids handily competes with the SE530's mids. The highs have more sparkle than the SE5530. To be honest, I haven't been this impressed with an all-BA universal since the TDK BA200 and Doppios (and the IM03 beats the BA200 from head to toe). Doppios may have more clarity and transparency, but the sound is not as full as the IM03. This may be the most natural sounding all BA universal I've heard too (since the BA200). I love it. Does it beat the dual push-pull dynamic ATh-CKR9 and CKR10? No, but in some ways the three are even in sound quality. The Sound signatures are nothing alike, but all three have excellent bass. Actually, the CKR series has great bass to my ears. I prefer the CKR series (especially the CKR 10), but the IM03 isn't that far behind to my ears. One other thing about the IM03. It is really tip dependent to get the optimal sound out of it. The stock tips will not do. The way the nozzle is shaped, it's long and thick. I needed a wide bore large tip to get any type of good seal (seal is imperative), but most tips I tried failed for me. This included my got JVC Spiral Dots, UE900 and UETF10 tips. And foam tips suck the life out of the sound to me. So I've settled on some wide obscure large wide body silicon tips (an old pair Senn IE8 single-flange, and a couple pair that I don't know where they came from). Those are backups. But then I kept thinking about using a silicon tips that doesn't have such a wide bore, but has never let me down with BA universals before. Those tips would be the large Phonak grey silicons. Wow! Eureka!! These tips give me the perfect seal and sound. The IM03 doesn't need a deep seal inside of your ear canal, but it needs a solid seal. The Phonak serves this purpose. I am a happy camper.

Now, for the Fidue. I've been listening to it out of the box for about 15 minutes. I'm using the large single flange silicon stock tips. Out of the box, it has bass (sub bass included), but it's not as deep as the IM03's bass. This is not bothering me though. I expect the bass to get better as the dynamic driver opens up. The mids and highs, however have a beautiful yet smooth clarity and transparency out of the box. Comparing to the T-Peos and Dunu triple-hybrids I've heard (1 dynamic and 2-BA), I would say those two brands of hybrids had a harsher sound to my ears than the A83. Actually, the A83 is not harsh sounding at all. The Dunu 1000 and H-200s had deeper bass, but I wouldn't say the bass was better than the Fidue bass. I am going to tip roll when I get home and burn the Fidue, but out of the box I am very pleased. And yes, although I can't call it right now, I can state that the Fidue is pointing in the direction of being the best universal triple hybrid I've heard next to Aurisonics AS-2 (still king for me). Some great products are out guys. I just saw the A83 on amazon for $259. If that's price is still there, run don't walk! It's a steal at that price. ijs

Very nice info ericp10! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back