The discovery thread!
May 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #24,573 of 100,285
Hey, my birthday in about an hour and a half, just came back from a GREAT jazz show at The Jazz Standard, saw the Gil Evans Project...just FABULOUS!!!

First, going to wish myself Happy Birthday with my 2 favorite birthday tracks...

And next...

some Dogwalk Discoveries soon...

May 18, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #24,574 of 100,285
OK, Discovery time
Gotta post Gil Evans, just saw a great show of his music (he passed on a while again), tihs is his orchestra playing Hendrix, with Sting doing the vocals.

More later...

May 18, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #24,579 of 100,285
Hey, my birthday in about an hour and a half, just came back from a GREAT jazz show at The Jazz Standard, saw the Gil Evans Project...just FABULOUS!!!

First, going to wish myself Happy Birthday with my 2 favorite birthday tracks...

And next...

some Dogwalk Discoveries soon...

Happy birthday doctor jazz!

Yojre an awesome headfier! Listening to these tunes soon. Will probably post something too.

Have a wonderful remainder of your day. :)

May 18, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #24,581 of 100,285
Happy Birthday!

May 18, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #24,585 of 100,285
Insomnia earphone listening lesson last night:'

Stayed up a good part of the night listening to Phillips TX2 and comparing them to ATH IM50.
The ATH were great a first after about 50 hrs of burn in, with assertive vocals and good bass.
But treble started being annoying and sibilant and had to stop listening after a couple of hours
and put them back on burn in bench.  However could clearly hear the ATH sound i adore
coming out and see their potential.  seems like a long range winner, esp. at that price point. after
all my CKS1000s took 400 plus hours of burn in to be optimal...crazy...i just saw one of the FOD
earphones, the Ostry KC06 were marketing with the slogan of "no burn in necessary".  wondering
how they are doing that and if it really is true...

Successor in my insomnia audio mania season was the 60 hour burned in Phillips TX2.  they were
much kinder to my ears and kept me up for 3 more hours listening on an LG tablet with no external\
DAP or amp through Poweramp.  Very musical sound, which rounded off the harshness of the mp3
files and made the lyrics clearer than the ATH IM50S and conveyed the core of the musical communiction
well, with excellent pace and rhythmn...vocals not as silky as Tenores or Singulos, but had a significant
virtue of all around musical adaptiveness...Broken Bells sounded coherent and the crazed electronica
that Dangermouse mixed in with Shins frontman James Mercer worked very well, better in fact than more
expensive phones like the On-1.  It was a case of less is more, less detail and dynamics in the TX2 but
better overall gestalt of the musical experience.  i could hear the meaning of the song and the lyrics
were clear in a really new way.  Seems like this is the trend in mid fi budget phones (50$ range) lately,
such as the Narmoo S1s etc, TX2,   quality all around sound, competent capable, but no stunning detail or sparkle.
Really good for tablets, smartphones, etc with no amplification.  not exactly "hi fi" but not low fi. serve a purpose.
sometimes a good one for late night listening.  

but its dawn and I'm back to my On1s listening through the VALI and  a 20 watt Cambridge audio model 12 preamp.
way more detail and dynamics and glorious wooden vibrations.  

I guess i need to invest in in those JVC 850s to go to the next iem level of the sound i seek, although the HOPE VI are calling
my name also...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back