The discovery thread!
Apr 16, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #23,911 of 106,550

You guys have a serious headphone to consider once these are released in the US. I have no idea why Philips has held this masterpiece of a headphone from selling in the US but believe me this is one crazy sounding headphones. I just got these from a sale here and headfi and these are just like I remembered them to be at RMAF. Astounding resolution and refinement from these cans. The stage alone is worthy of purchase. Got them on the burner with my Silver OFC cables. Will have some impressions once these get a proper burn.

The Fidelio L2? Considering they're at $300 and could match up against the SRH1540 at $500, how do they stack up to its (supposed) older sibling, the X1

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #23,912 of 106,550
  I think these are very capable next to the SRH1540 and that is the crazy thing. These are $300 phones and the SRH1540s being $500.. The value in sound is there. The only issue guys are having and the reason I got this was that the previous owner didn't like the openness of the cans. These are open and not semi open. Isolation is poor but for me I can put up with sound leakage for this level of refinement and sound.. These are open portable cans fully over ears but the sound is a smooth rich highly refined, transparent and best of all wide and deep.

You would never suspect how wide the sound is from these cans.. I remember at RMAF when I heard it for the first time. I kept on taking off the headphones to look at it because the sound seems to be coming outside of the cups. No kidding..I spoke to the engineer that made the drivers for the L2 and he was all smiles when talking about the L2. It uses a brand new driver that Philips developed just for the L2. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a newer upgrade to the X1 using the same driver.  Whatever they are using it gives out a sound that is not normal..Spacious richness abound.

These are the headphones to look out for once launched here in the States and Canada.

L2 sure is an extremely nice sounding unit. ( and they look gorgeous )My pal has them and I'll try to get more time on them with my own tracks and setup.
What is the cable you are using?

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #23,913 of 106,550
It is the silver coated copper cable I ended up getting for my X1. Similar to these.  I haven't tried my zu cable yet but I will try those soon. If I wasn't studying right now I would be listening to those right now. Cant wait to hear how they sound in the morning.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #23,914 of 106,550
  The Fidelio L2? Considering they're at $300 and could match up against the SRH1540 at $500, how do they stack up to its (supposed) older sibling, the X1

You guys know I am a huge fan of the X1 and are a permanent part of my headphone collection. The L2 is an upgrade. Fuller more balanced mids and lesser mid bass of the X1 makes for better balance with a stage that is one of a kind for a mid sized portable can. Will do a better comparison soon.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #23,915 of 106,550

You guys know I am a huge fan of the X1 and are a permanent part of my headphone collection. The L2 is an upgrade. Fuller more balanced mids and lesser mid bass of the X1 makes for better balance with a stage that is one of a kind for a mid sized portable can. Will do a better comparison soon.

Cool. Thanks for the impressions. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #23,916 of 106,550
  It is the silver coated copper cable I ended up getting for my X1. Similar to these.

you got a link :) or seller info ?

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #23,917 of 106,550
Huh what? Singolo is single BA and Doppio is dual BA.

thats correct.  the Singulos are more fun than the Doppios.  The Doppios are more "reference sound"
and thicker sound and go deeper and wider soundstage.  also more expensive end bigger.
the Singulous are perfect for my HTC one M8 which has the best new android sounsystem built into
it, right out of the phone...

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #23,919 of 106,550

+1
A huge fan of Fidelio X1 and SRH1540 here :) I use Oyaide HPC-35/1.3m(3.5 stereo → stereo mini 3.5 HP) for my X1, and the X1 sounds great with it, much better than the X1 supplied cable.
Tried the L2 (actually tried all the L1, L2, & M1), I still prefer X1 for a more linear tonal balance.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #23,920 of 106,550
Apr 17, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #23,921 of 106,550

I'm confused - "L2 is an upgrade" but "Fuller more balanced mids and lesser mid bass of the X1 makes for better balance with a stage that is one of a kind" ?
Sounds like X1 is better.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #23,922 of 106,550

I'm confused - "L2 is an upgrade" but "Fuller more balanced mids and lesser mid bass than the X1 makes for better balance with a stage that is one of a kind" ?

Fixed that for ya. Still confused?

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #23,923 of 106,550

I'm confused - "L2 is an upgrade" but "Fuller more balanced mids and lesser mid bass of the X1 makes for better balance with a stage that is one of a kind" ?

I think he means the L2 posesses those traits. Not thevX1!

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #23,924 of 106,550

I'm confused - "L2 is an upgrade" but "Fuller more balanced mids and lesser mid bass than the X1 makes for better balance with a stage that is one of a kind" ?

Fixed that for ya. Still confused?

Wayne you beat me to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back