The discovery thread!
Mar 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #23,236 of 106,544

How do the doppios and te-05 handle this song in the subbass department?

Edit: on another note, Glad you found the iem + headphone team to keep you company for half of the year, :p

We know you'll find something appealing sooner or later, lol!

Anyways, can't wait to read your reviews, especially that of the thinksound on1, try to hype those iem+hps you have! 

Don't stay up all night reviewing each!

don't have the foster but on DOPPIOS this song has massive reverb sub bass which is very profoundly earth shaking, interesting and the organ synthesizer is thick and wavy
sounds like I'm ia club next to the stage.  very impressive transmission by the Doppios....through a d42 Ibasso Mamba decamp....at low gain, extraordinary audio experience 5 stars.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #23,237 of 106,544
Good news....fostex and doppios arrived.

Bad...transmission locked up....so probably gonna list fx850 and possibly doppios and keep fostex, mikros 90, and x1. Gotta free up cash, give u guys first shot. Doppios only 12hrs old and jvc maybe a week. Price is pretty much what I paid mostly, minus tenso charge and time

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #23,239 of 106,544
OK, out of the box, HK has nice bass, sl sloppy though, wide soundstage, good treble response from my quick listen (maybe a bit tizzy) and mids somewhat recessed. I listened to an album worth of music, and the mids and highs did sound smoother/more present by the end, so.....I believe....

THIS IS A JOB FOR BURN-IN MAN!!!! (able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...)

I expect some burn in to smooth things out considerably, since I heard the improvements in such a short while. It's in line, maybe let it cut in front of the AT's, when the Sony's are done (another 2-3 days)

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #23,240 of 106,544
my HK CLs are burning in nicely  ager 2 days bass is much smoother, vocals silkier and have very nice sound. very promising, especially for 64$ sale price.
worth the investment by far i think so far.....

Thank you for answering about the harmans!

I like what you wrote so far, what do you think of the highs?

don't have the foster but on DOPPIOS this song has massive reverb sub bass which is very profoundly earth shaking, interesting and the organ synthesizer is thick and wavy
sounds like I'm ia club next to the stage.  very impressive transmission by the Doppios....through a d42 Ibasso Mamba decamp....at low gain, extraordinary audio experience 5 stars.

Thank you once again dr.blue!

Now i know how the doppios play in the subbass, i might just get one too!

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #23,241 of 106,544
OK, out of the box, HK has nice bass, sl sloppy though, wide soundstage, good treble response from my quick listen (maybe a bit tizzy) and mids somewhat recessed. I listened to an album worth of music, and the mids and highs did sound smoother/more present by the end, so.....I believe....

THIS IS A JOB FOR BURN-IN MAN!!!! (able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...)

I expect some burn in to smooth things out considerably, since I heard the improvements in such a short while. It's in line, maybe let it cut in front of the AT's, when the Sony's are done (another 2-3 days)

Goodnes gracious, i hope the bass tightens up considerably,almost mikros tight at least.

Glad to hear that the mids and highs are improving, didnt expect recessed mids, huh..

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #23,242 of 106,544
Thank you doctorjazz, jant71, drbluenewmexico, vlenbo, and the rest of the gang. Ds, Waynes world, and DannyBai I'll catch you guys later.

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #23,244 of 106,544
OK, hooked the HK's up for burn in, they actually sound pretty good as SPEAKERS, just playing on burn in unit. Don't get too worked up yet, Vlenbo, remember I'm the grouch who is about the sole one with complaints about the Mikros 90, love to complain/hypercritical, see what happens after a kazillion hour break in (even cut the Sony break in down WAY before kazillion to give the HKs some time) :)

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #23,246 of 106,544
OK, hooked the HK's up for burn in, they actually sound pretty good as SPEAKERS, just playing on burn in unit. Don't get too worked up yet, Vlenbo, remember I'm the grouch who is about the sole one with complaints about the Mikros 90, love to complain/hypercritical, see what happens after a kazillion hour break in (even cut the Sony break in down WAY before kazillion to give the HKs some time)
smily_headphones1.gif

would love to hear some comparisons

my HK CLs are burning in nicely  ager 2 days bass is much smoother, vocals silkier and have very nice sound. very promising, especially for 64$ sale price.
worth the investment by far i think so far.....

where are they $64?

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #23,247 of 106,544
Hai guyz.

Wow, still going strong, I see. Hope I don't derail the thread since I've lost the thread right about now. But again hoping I don't derail the thread, could you guys help me pick from one of these HPs? I'm totally unsure about them since I've never actually listened to them, so yeah, my fingers are crossed on this one.

AKG K701 -- Fell in love the first time I saw it. [size=1em]AKG Q701 -- They say it has more bass than the K701 and is pretty much a K702.[/size] Philips Fidelio X1 -- Big bass, big soundstage, perfect all-rounder?
Sorry if I get a little too high-end on this one, but I thought, since my parents probably won't let me have another go at headphones anymore (basically by next year), why don't I just end it with a bang? You know, have a taste of some of the best. 

Also, sorry if I derail the thread. 

Feels good to be back, I think.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #23,248 of 106,544
Those AKGs are gonna be too bass light for you.. Both them models. If your gonna test out an open can get the X1s. At least your gonna get some bass with your music. I still love my X1s and will recommend them to anyone. I recently saw someone sell a used one on the sale forums for $190..I would snap up a good used pair and try em out.

If your gonna go with AKG try out a K545 instead.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #23,249 of 106,544
  Those AKGs are gonna be too bass light for you.. Both them models. If your gonna test out an open can get the X1s. At least your gonna get some bass with your music. I still love my X1s and will recommend them to anyone. I recently saw someone sell a used one on the sale forums for $190..I would snap up a good used pair and try em out.

If your gonna go with AKG try out a K545 instead.

Yay, thanks Ds! Heh, if the AKGs are going to be bass-light, then I think I'll have to go with the X1s then (my sister says so too). It might take me a while before my parents do give the greenlight (maybe this holiday season), but at least I know what to pick.

The thing is, I actually feel a little happy with bass-light, considering my experiences with the headphone that is as euphonic as it is expensive, the B&O H6. I've tried it quite a few times, and the expereince I had was simply amazing. It was pretty much my one-way ticket to a true reference headphone. That, and I used to be a huge fan of the late MJ, so it'd be cool to hear what Quincy Jones said was the 'perfect HP' for his songs. Also, I'm a fan of K-On (well, at least, I used to), so I might watch it again with them.

I just now realized that I've been saying some really far-out things. But anyway, if you've heard the H6, do you think the AKGs could stand up to it? I'm willing to bet that it can and then some.

Thanks a lot, again!

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #23,250 of 106,544
K545s are closed cans with great sound stage. Amazingly so actually. Balanced well and has some of that AKG treble and sparkle but what separates the K545 from the others you listed is that these have the low end for modern music. Sub bass on these cans are surprisingly strong. The mid bass is not as emphasized but has plenty of impact and punch..It has a nice mix of detail balance stage and bass.. Never heard them BnO H6s..

The X1s are nicer sounding than the K545 and I do prefer the sound of them over the AKGs but for something versatile being portable and closed for some isolation the K545s are nice cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back