The discovery thread!
Jan 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #20,251 of 102,700
  So I spent the last couple hours comparing the DUNU DN-1000, Sony XBA-H1, OM Audio InEarPeace, and yes..I threw in the Xiaomi Piston into the mix just for the heck of it. 

I used a Sony NWZ 475 + FiiO E7 amp, 320 files, with Copper Colour OCS cable, and all iem's fitted with the same Sony hybrid tips. 

The most interesting detail I noticed while listening to all four is that the Sony H1 was the most quiet of all the 'phones. I had to turn the volume up quite a bit more to reach the same sound level as the rest. 

The DUNU DN-1000 had the most details, the better treble extension, and widest soundstage of the four. It has 3D depth, and very comfortable to wear, even though the housings are heavy and metal. The DN-1000 was susceptible to sibilance on certain tracks, and on certain older masters, the sibilance was present and annoying. Bass is decent. It's detailed and present, but doesn't have much sub bass extension, and more slight mid bass hump.  Mids are ever so slightly recessed, but nothing to write home to complain about. It was also the LOUDEST 'phone. On volume 6, I had to turn it down to 5 or 4 as to not overwhelm my hearing. 

The Sony H1, with the same single dynamic/single BA configuration as the OM Audio IEP, easily has the smoothest sound sig. The bass is better than both the DUNU and the Om Audio. It's punchier, digs deeper, and provides more detail than both of those. It's not a particularly omnipresent bass, but it's the most REFINED bass out of all but the Piston. The mids are omnipresent. This is the bread and butter of the H1. Lush, smooth as butter mids. Vocals are gorgeously presented and stand out with NO sibilance whatsoever. It reminds me of the XBA-1 mids, but with much deeper and more prominent bass than a single BA can muster. The highs are slightly rolled off at the top end, but decay and timbre are a delight. Unlike the metallic sound that's so prevalent with the XBA-3 and XBA-4, the highs are more natural sounding, with cymbals, snares, toms, and high hats crashes tonally pleasant, accurate, and with a fair amount of decay. Now not as much as the Piston or the DUNU, as each of those 'phones has insanely long sustain times and decay can go on without much roll off until the very highest registers, but the H1 isn't that far behind really. Guitars and strings sound so amazing. I can't stress how good jazz, metal, and r&b sounded with the H1. This was my favorite sound signature TBH. Makes me wonder just how stellar the H3 must be, with it's dual BA/single dynamic configuration? 

The Om Audio IEP, along with the DUNU, actually sounded like it has recessed mids as compared to the H1. The OM Audio, with it's aggressive upper mids and sharp lower highs, just seemed a bit sucked out next to the H1. The bass wasn't as refined or as punchy as the H1. The Om Audio's bass is more in line with the DUNU when it comes to weight, presence, and depth. The Om Audio, like the DUNU, had a penchant for sibilance with poor mastering and older tracks, and was less forgiving. The highs are leaner, meaner, and more detailed than the H1, the Piston, and just slightly behind the DUNU in decay times and sustain. Cymbals ring long and crashes crash authoritatively with the OM Audio, with razor sharpness and clarity when dealing with metal and hard rock. This is a balanced IEM, with a soundstage wider than the H1 and the Piston, and only dominated by the DUNU. Detail retrieval also goes to the OM right after the DUNU, but the mids aren't even in the same zip code as the H1. The H1 is king of the mids, with only the Piston about a mile back close to matching them.

The Xiaomi Piston is the only true dynamic, and well, as being such, was the IEM with the least soundstage, the least amount of detail, the least capable mids, BUT it kicked butt on the other three when it came to bass weight, sub bass detail, and presence. The bass, while neither boomy or particularly punchy, is slightly behind the H1 in refinement, but makes up for it with detail. You can hear the bass players fingers playing chords and progressions with the Piston, and coupled with that amazing treble presence, makes for such an engaging listen. Only the DUNU had longer decay and sustain times, and only the OM was better at presenting micro details in the upper registers. Even better than the DUNU, which treble detail can get lost in the sibilance and weighty mids. Smoothness of the mids is second only to the  H1, and slightly ahead of the DUNU, but the DUNU trump the Piston in mid details and soundstage, so as to have a 3D audio presentation, while the Piston are the most 2D of all four. Still an impressive audio device that sells for $20.00. 

So at the end of the day, I'm picking the H1 because it has a texture, smoothness, and warmth that just tugs at my ear and heart. It's a beautiful, lush, quiet sound, with class and refinement. If the H1 is a classy lady dressed in red and black, then the OM Audio is that punk rocker, with aggression, power, and purpose, dressed in silver and black. The DUNU is the athlete. Peak in performance, physically imposing, brash, yet graceful when called upon. The Piston is that great all-arounder. Equally capable with metal as it is comfortable with rap. The jack of all trades, and master of none, yet a valuable addition to the community. 

Thank you and g'day.

Preference : H1 > DUNU DN-1000 > OM Audio IEP > Xiaomi Piston
Sound Quality : DUNU DN-1000 > H1 > Om Audio IEP > Xiaomi Piston

great review, the h1 really get you moving with rock

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #20,252 of 102,700
  great review, the h1 really get you moving with rock

yes sir they do. that's what I love most about them. they are amazing for metal and rock, and that's my main listen, so these are made with my preferred signature. @kahaluu Thank you, and yes I do love them. Best $100 i've spent in awhile. Now for the B3!

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #20,253 of 102,700
Ok, just got Oms, pretty nice, not burned, not comparing to anything else yet, but has good bass, cymbals.clear, differentiated. Miss are interesting, they are slightly recessed, but vocals are good (my usual test is to see if I can pick out any lyrics by Aimee Mann that I couldn't make out before. They passed). They are somewhat dark, but engaging to these ears . Now that I have InnerPeace, all I need is Heaven. Also got a free pair of Velodyne Bluetooth phones, haven't tried them yet, and ordered the AT -IM70 today. Just another day at the office...

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #20,254 of 102,700
Ok, just got Oms, pretty nice, not burned, not comparing to anything else yet, but has good bass, cymbals.clear, differentiated. Miss are interesting, they are slightly recessed, but vocals are good (my usual test is to see if I can pick out any lyrics by Aimee Mann that I couldn't make out before. They passed). They are somewhat dark, but engaging to these ears . Now that I have InnerPeace, all I need is Heaven. Also got a free pair of Velodyne Bluetooth phones, haven't tried them yet, and ordered the AT -IM70 today. Just another day at the office...

The H1 is smooth and sweet with vocal presentation that is out of this world. That might be a great next buy?

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #20,256 of 102,700
Jan 24, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #20,257 of 102,700

The Om Audio IEP, along with the DUNU, actually sounded like it has recessed mids as compared to the H1. The OM Audio, with it's aggressive upper mids and sharp lower highs, just seemed a bit sucked out next to the H1. The bass wasn't as refined or as punchy as the H1.

Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The next great hybrid. The OM Audio InEarPeace.

Single dynamic/single BA

Wonderfully balanced sound with mids that are present and dynamic, and not sucked out and recessed.

This is not a V-Shaped hybrid. 

I'm enjoying these more than i have any IEM in some time. 

Sounds like the H1's are made in heaven for you. Glad you like them.

New Toy Syndrome 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #20,258 of 102,700
New Toy Syndrome :ksc75smile:  

I'll just answer this for IEM. He said that the mids sounded recessed in comparison to the H1. You quoted his post in which he said the mids on the IEP were balanced with the other frequencies; IIRC he described the DN1K the same way. By this comparison we can establish that the DN1K & IEP are balanced, almost flat, to his ears while the H1 are mid & bass forward with relaxed treble. Kind-of like a AT phone but AT is more balance treble and not relaxed.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #20,259 of 102,700

The DN-1000 was susceptible to sibilance on certain tracks, and on certain older masters, the sibilance was present and annoying. Bass is decent. It's detailed and present, but doesn't have much sub bass extension, and more slight mid bass hump.  Mids are ever so slightly recessed, but nothing to write home to complain about. It was also the LOUDEST 'phone. On volume 6, I had to turn it down to 5 or 4 as to not overwhelm my hearing. 

Originally Posted by IEMagnet01
my DUNU DN-1000 are absolutely ridiculous good!.The DUNU DN-1000 will be great for a good while. They are very high class audio.

New Toy Syndrome - The problem where an owner of a new expensive toy is blinded to the shortcomings of that item.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #20,260 of 102,700
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01
my DUNU DN-1000 are absolutely ridiculous good!.The DUNU DN-1000 will be great for a good while. They are very high class audio.

New Toy Syndrome - The problem where an owner of a new expensive toy is blinded to the shortcomings of that item.

+1 for what Vain III said. That was exactly the comparison and perception. As for that second quote, that was my commenting on the DUNU as I was listening to them. That was not in the context of comparison or any A/B'ing, so yes, as I was reveling in the DUNU at that moment, they were fantastically awesome and still are. High class. Was listening to them before bed, after spending a few hours with the H1.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #20,261 of 102,700
The H1 are a very mid forward IEM. The sound signature, if I must find a comparison, would be closest to the TDK BA-200, but with the treble extension a bit better and clearer, but it has that warm, smooth, almost dark feel. That's the SS that I prefer the most. I guess that's from years of Sennheiser devotion?

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #20,262 of 102,700
Doesn't anyone sleep around here???? :rolleyes:

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #20,263 of 102,700
Doesn't anyone sleep around here???? :rolleyes:

One has to make pretty tough priorities: either sleep or keep up with this thread :wink:

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #20,264 of 102,700
It's tough, man, but someone has to do it! :-D

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #20,265 of 102,700

There are plenty of 40mm portables out there, nobody is comparing them to each other just because they have the same size driver.
I could understand if both models at least were built on the same technology (CNT), but that's not the case.

I don't think that AT was trying to lure somebody to buy their headphone by mistake, it's just a coincidence.

Wow what a weird way of thinking. The same category in so many aspects(not just the driver size) but they can't be compared because the driver coating is different? So, you can't compare the Pistons to the Philips cause the Piston has a different driver material, right?

And AT, which already has an ES500, comes out with an S500 and never having an "S" series before is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with the JVC S500. Sorry but competing makers many times come out with their "answer" to competing products. Their new IM series is not designed more like Shure and Westone out of coincidence but you copy what works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back