The discovery thread!
Dec 27, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #166 of 100,723

Quote:
She3580 currently at Target for $10.84 until 12/31. i was tempted but i'm too lazy to set the equalizer.

picked up a pair of them locally on the way home.  First stop only had purple and pink but luckily I pass 3 on the way home from work.  I have been looking for a pair to wear while lying down and these seem small enough to do that comfortably.  playing with different tips now

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #168 of 100,723

Quote:
Would you characterize the she3580 sound signature as clear, warm or neutral? my nuforce 700x crapped out last night and i could use a clear sounding somewhat bassy IEM for my phone.

None of the above. They are musical, dark, slightly veiled (as is common of bass-heavy phones). Compared to my UM3x/JH13/RE252/HE6, they have a weightier sound, both in terms of the bass and overall presentation. Clarity is not its strong suit, but I'm used to some of the real heavyweights in that department so this is probably not saying much.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #170 of 100,723
A friend of mine received a pair of TT today. He used to own the CKM99.

His initial response was that they sound harsh and sibilant with stock tips, but he does hear that they have excellent sound quality and they do remind him of the CKM99.

The CKM99 he also from the beginning found to be harsh and sibilant, but after burning them in for a week he remembers that they improved.  He will now do the same with the TT and get back to me.

Please, remember this is all out of memory, so of course not the same as comparing them directly to each other and it's also not a fact but merely an indication, but for now this is the closest info we have.

If I hadn't spend all my money on X-mas and cheap IEM's  I would have picked up a pair of CKM77 to compare with the TT, but maybe later...

Experimenting with different tips on the TT is probably a good idea. I'm using some cone shaped silicon tips and some Monster foam tips, both works better for me than the stock tips.
Maybe someone can try comply's foam tips with the TT, I don't have any right now.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #171 of 100,723

Quote:
[The Philips SHE3580 are] None of the above. They are musical, dark, slightly veiled (as is common of bass-heavy phones). Compared to my UM3x/JH13/RE252/HE6, they have a weightier sound, both in terms of the bass and overall presentation. Clarity is not its strong suit, but I'm used to some of the real heavyweights in that department so this is probably not saying much.

EQ down the bass... like this

And the details come popping out.  If you're using a graphic equalizer, leave 500Hz zeroed out and taper down steadily to a minimum at 125Hz and below.  How low the minimum is depends on your taste and the equalizer in question (on my parametric equalizer the bass cut is a tad less than 10dB).

With this EQ these SHE3580 are a more detailed, warmer, punchier, less sibilant version of my Etymotic ER-4P(!)  I found the stock treble to be bright so toned it down as shown but you guys seem to find it dark so why not leave the treble as is and just tone down the bass and see how you like it.  The spikey treble dips are the result of tuning the equalizer a la PiccoloNamek's tutorial with some additional ideas of my own to make the tuning easier to implement.  They are probably the result of ear canal resonances and not any inherent uneveness in the treble response of the IEMs themselves--especially seeing as those dips move in frequency if I change to comply tips.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 27, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #175 of 100,723
As I said in my review, the Etymotic ER-4P I had came back from repair and were sitting there gathering dust.  Now they're broken again and really gathering dust
tongue.gif
I wonder if I should get them repaired again just so I can listen to them and beat on them again saying my $10 Philips sound better than them
tongue.gif
Maybe if I want another sample of that balanced armature sound I should go for another pair... maybe those Soundmagic PL50
wink.gif
How do they sound like AxelCloris?  More imporantly how's the build?  Will they survive my ham-handed handling?
tongue.gif
I wonder how much a broken pair of Etys can sell for?
redface.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #176 of 100,723

Quote:
What do you guys do with all your extra IEMs? From the sound of things, it sounds like you all own a lot of them.

I have 4 right now and I typically only use 1-2 of them, I can't imagine having two more :)

I use my sets for different situations.  Like the philips are tiny so I plan on using them in bed or if lounging on the couch.  My E10s are my primary set.  The Grooves stay connected to my computer at work because I dont care if someone steals them.  I use the xears when I need a mic but the cable is too annoying to use all the time. they stay in my glove box.  My Klipsch are on permanent loan to my cousin.  I didnt like their fit.  I didnt buy them all for these purposes, but as I progressed I found uses for them.  I bought the grooves, didnt like.  bought the klipsch, they were OK but wanted better.  Xears cable sucked so I got the E10.  There were others along the way but I sold the expensive stuff to raise money for other needs.  Oh and I have a set of H2O surge for use at the pool or while excersing.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #177 of 100,723
I'm still kinda new to describing sounds, but I'll try my best. I've had them for a couple months and to me one of the big thing is the microphonics. They're very quiet with cable noise, and I love that. The bass doesn't sound too extended but it's definitely not lacking and it's clean. I don't know if you can call it tight but it feels like it's well controlled. I don't know enough about mids yet to really tell if something is recessed, forward or neutral but to me they're pleasing. And as for the highs I think they're sparkly. They're bright and cheerful if that makes sense. Sometimes they get to be a bit much but that's usually only for certain parts of certain songs. I really like female vocals. If you're a fan of soothing vocal trance or uplifting trance they're great. Not overpowering in the low end, smooth mids and just enough high end to keep the energy going. Hopefully that description didn't lose you, because it'd probably lose me :p

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #178 of 100,723

Mine sit and wait, I use different sets for different genre's when I am not reviewing.   It's a bad addiction worse then pokemon, I want all the single BA's.
Quote:
What do you guys do with all your extra IEMs? From the sound of things, it sounds like you all own a lot of them.

I have 4 right now and I typically only use 1-2 of them, I can't imagine having two more :)

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #179 of 100,723
Got the Philips today the she3582 (blacks were out of stock in Target).

4 hours of total listening. The harshness of treble subsided right now. Sounds great.

Thanks to dsnuts and other guys once again. These iems are now questioning me why we pay loads of money ($100+ for some other brands) while the $10 gemstones do as well. X10s are off going back to Amazon now.

I am looking forward to the isurus from ebay. In a day or so I should have them.

I tried hard to get a good sound quality with bass emphasis for the she3582 though. The small and medium tips had the base but not enough, the small tip shined big time when the phones were pressed a bit inside my ears, now using the large ones. Will probably try some other tips from other phones later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back