The discovery thread!
Oct 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #15,781 of 106,509

LOL Too late - I'm pretty drunk and ready for a deathmatch. 
It's the golden mean - sometimes burn-in works and sometimes it doesn't.  IMO it depends on the product you're burning in. Here on head-fi some people will tell you that only the cable breaks in and that might lower its resistance. Other will claim that ridiculous 200+ hours of burn-in make a huge difference. A lot of people will tell you BA drivers don't change after burn-in (my experience with BA iems makes me agree with them). 
Overall, I let people believe what they want coz even when it's placebo most of the time - as long as they are happy with the "results" why no just let them enjoy these "huge improvements" in the sound. IMO burn-in works but even if it does it's never to the extent the pro burn-in crowd claims. It's usually very mild changes that happen mostly within the first 20-30 hours. 

Not dissing you or anything but I've lost count the amount of times you have said that!
etysmile.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #15,783 of 106,509
  LOL Sorry but I like to drink when I'm chillaxing and browsing the forums. And you surely have seen my signature 
beerchug.gif

You've got to change it though..

Alcohol consumption increases sound quality and amazingly somehow does not decrease kova4a's coherency!

biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #15,784 of 106,509

You've got to change it though..

Alcohol consumption increases sound quality and amazingly somehow does not decrease kova4a's coherency!

biggrin.gif

Nah, nothing amazing about it - just years of exercising the art of alcohol consumption.
On another note, I wonder where this new "coherency" wave originated from? There is a weird trend on head-fi, which occurs at certain times, where usually a more experienced reviewer uses a term (like coherency) in a review and it picks up. I haven't seen many people use it in a long time and now suddenly everyone on head-fi knows everything about coherent sound, coherency, cohesiveness etc. no matter what product (or head-fi member LOL) they are discussing. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #15,786 of 106,509
  Nah, nothing amazing about it - just years of exercising the art of alcohol consumption.
On another note, I wonder where this new "coherency" wave originated from? There is a weird trend on head-fi, which occurs at certain times, where usually a more experienced reviewer uses a term (like coherency) in a review and it picks up. I haven't seen many people use it in a long time and now suddenly everyone on head-fi knows everything about coherent sound, coherency, cohesiveness etc. no matter what product (or head-fi member LOL) they are discussing. 

^ SHOTS FYRE!!!

Hey hey i use that terms as well, to me it just means the overall sound just gels and sounds right/ effortless TO ME. It is akin to having a very well balanced sound in which nothing feels lacking/ lackluster/ recessed and everything is forward with engaging lushness.

A.K.A eargasmicness nuff said.....

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #15,787 of 106,509
  ^ SHOTS FYRE!!!

Hey hey i use that terms as well, to me is just means the overall sound just gels and sounds right/ effortless TO ME. It is akin to having a very well balanced sound in which nothing feels lacking/ lackluster/ recessed and everything is forward with engaging lushness.

A.K.A eargasmicness nuff said.....

Really? And how long have you been using coherency to describe sound? Honestly, I probably have seen coherency and coherent sound used a dozen of times for the past 2 years mainly for milti-driver iems and suddenly the past few months everyone is using it for everything. That's quite a weird coincidence. 
rolleyes.gif
 Someone's behind all that and I'll find him and bring him to justice.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #15,788 of 106,509
  Really? And how long have you been using coherency to describe sound? Honestly, I probably have seen coherency and coherent sound used a dozen of times for the past 2 years mainly for milti-driver iems and suddenly the past few months everyone is using it for everything. That's quite a weird coincidence. 
rolleyes.gif
 Someone's behind all that and I'll find him and bring him to justice.

You're a LAWYER fool, not a JUDGE!!! You ain't gots dem POWA'S!!!

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #15,789 of 106,509

You're a LAWYER fool, not a JUDGE!!! You ain't gots dem POWA'S!!!

LOL, TROLL
Yeah, aside from having mad rhyming skills I don't need to be a judge to file a lawsuit and take him to court to answer for this atrocity.

And why are you acting all defensive? What do you know about all this? Who are you protecting?

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #15,790 of 106,509
  LOL, TROLL
Yeah, aside from having mad rhyming skills I don't need to be a judge to file a lawsuit and take him to court to answer for this atrocity.

And why are you acting all defensive? What do you know about all this? Who are you protecting?

I take the 5th.
ph34r.gif

tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #15,791 of 106,509
Plead the 2nd, only thing that gets you anywhere.

Hey here might be a discovery - (from the ER4S thread)

BTW, lately I've been using the Dynamic Ear Company Inōr DS-11 (aka Crescendo Hearing Protection DS-11, aka ACS T15) but with a special tip configuration (the stock triple-flanges suck):

Pardon the bad phone camera.

I've then been fitting it as deeply as possible (it can be done because they're so small), up to the 2nd bend, and using a 64 ohm resistor in-line with it.

Of course, 64 ohms is just a ballpark guess. The DS-11 uses a Sonion 2356, which has 26 ohms of DC resistance and 41.5 ohms of impedance @ 1 kHz. Electrical underdamping with 64 ohms seemed reasonable to me, though I suspect that it might need more resistance to sound flatter.

The resulting sound is already very good, however, almost devoid of all spikes, and very neutral in response, like an ER4P but with better bass depth. The only thing that might be lacking is absolute treble extension. There's probably also more distortion (vented drivers have more distortion), but it's not a big issue for me. I haven't had time to compare directly with an ER4 yet, though.

As some of you know, I don't own an ER4 because I find it uncomfortable. These are a bit more comfortable for me, even though they have a wider-mouthed stem.

Rin has measurements for this thing, BTW (but not with these tips, of course), just not posted yet. I don't know when they'll be ready.

Perhaps someone might be able to find a place where they stock them - mentioned afterward on that thread, online store seems to be a no-go atm...

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #15,792 of 106,509
Coherency is used by my audio engineer friends to describe the cohesiveness of the sound, ie. full range drivers have the most coherency
and good coherency in multi driver  setups with crossovers is a very good thing but hard to achieve. Its related to imaging, i.e. having a
steady and stable image that is not fuzzy but clear and relaxed and natural.  Generally a very good thing.  useful term. but can be overused
of course like any other technical jargon...and its not everything, cause punch and dynamics and tone and all those other things we listen for
are also important!

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #15,793 of 106,509
HDJ-1500 came in today! (ignore the camera stuff in the foreground. to lazy to take another pic...)

Are you guys sure this is a DJ phone, cause they don't sound like anything I expected. Wow. They're definitely keepers. I sold my Mad Dogs the other day, and these make me not miss them one drop.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #15,795 of 106,509
  Plead the 2nd, only thing that gets you anywhere.

Hey here might be a discovery - (from the ER4S thread)

Perhaps someone might be able to find a place where they stock them - mentioned afterward on that thread, online store seems to be a no-go atm...

^ Holy crap those things look generic as hell, esp. with that white hospital look to the housing. LoL

They are like 149 euros!!!
triportsad.gif

This is the discovery thread not wallet hospital recovery one...... there is NO irony.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back