The discovery thread!
Jan 15, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #34,921 of 101,157
I noticed whatever material these guys are using on that $30 cable it does not color the sound of your earphone in one direction or the other. It lets the earphone do the coloration for you. This can be a good thing if your loving the sound of a particular earphone and don't need extra brightness or bigger bass. Cable is supple and does not emit any extra noise. Something even more expensive cables have a tendency to do at times.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #34,923 of 101,157
i just received the dzat dt-10 (dd/2ba hybrid) from ak. i just started listening, but i gotta say it's the most beautiful, comprehensive unboxing/accessory experience you'll encounter--these guys put chanel and gucci to shame. iems themselves are impeccably built and jewel-like (i was massively impressed with the aesthetics of the $20 df-10, but this is on another level). will post review on the aproear site in due course, but this looks like a winnah...

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #34,924 of 101,157
I received my $38 purchase today as well...
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0598.JPG

Just slapped the B400 frosty cable on to see the over ear fit which is nice even w/o bending the memory wire from the way I had them. Much harder to drive than the B400 esp. with the better cable on B400 which made them slightly easier to drive. Even with four minutes burn in and a cable deemed inferior at least on the B400, the Elecom CB1000 are right there with the B400. Four armatures each side vs. four drivers(two dynamic and two piezo tweeters) total.

Other than the textured paint maybe not the most durable if you drop them and being a bit big size-wise(CKR-like) they are very well regarded. Seems so indeed. Kick-ass for $38 plus shipping.

**Going back to the stock cable they may be even a bit closer so the stock cable is solid and at least as good as the $30 Frosty cable to my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #34,925 of 101,157
I received my $38 purchase today as well...

Just slapped the B400 frosty cable on to see the over ear fit which is nice even w/o bending the memory wire from the way I had them. Much harder to drive than the B400 esp. with the better cable on B400 which made them slightly easier to drive. Even with four minutes burn in and a cable deemed inferior at least on the B400, the Elecom CB1000 are right there with the B400. Four armatures each side vs. four drivers(two dynamic and two piezo tweeters) total.

Other than the textured paint maybe not the most durable if you drop them and being a bit big size-wise(CKR-like) they are very well regarded. Seems so indeed. Kick-ass for $38 plus shipping.

**Going back to the stock cable they may be even a bit closer so the stock cable is solid and at least as good as the $30 Frosty cable to my ears.

BLACK BLACK BLACK! But it's grey. :astonished:

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #34,926 of 101,157
i just received the dzat dt-10 (dd/2ba hybrid) from ak. i just started listening, but i gotta say it's the most beautiful, comprehensive unboxing/accessory experience you'll encounter--these guys put chanel and gucci to shame. iems themselves are impeccably built and jewel-like (i was massively impressed with the aesthetics of the $20 df-10, but this is on another level). will post review on the aproear site in due course, but this looks like a winnah...
share some pics of box and accessories ,

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #34,927 of 101,157
Still enjoying my DM5 a lot. The belly of mine is starting to turn green though. Not a big deal. But. It's odd.

Got them in my ears as I type. Been a bit since I had the DM5 back in the rotation. I can't lie these things sound great every time I hear them. Got a newer balanced cable on them and they sound better than they ever have.

Perhaps yours is getting a patina.

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #34,928 of 101,157
Got them in my ears as I type. Been a bit since I had the DM5 back in the rotation. I can't lie these things sound great every time I hear them. Got a newer balanced cable on them and they sound better than they ever have.

Perhaps yours is getting a patina.
DM5 on balanced from zx300. Sounds really good. You will find out soon :wink:

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #34,929 of 101,157
IMG_0606.JPG

I even tried the other Ali cable on the CB1000. Fine but I noticed something. Over ear fit does seal them up more and they start to sound more like a B400 and they lose the piezo precision and bell like clarity. Seems they are better in the traditional less seal straight down CKR-style fit. The usual slap the JVC Spiral Dot or similar on them kind of thing many did with the CKR. Too much seal kinda hurts them breathing their best and they compress and smooth and while still good they lose what I like about them(big, airy, and pure sounding cymbals). Just waiting for the bass to burn in. It is tight and quite good(and sub emphasized) but doesn't seem fleshed out yet for the details and layers. Will they change like the CKR do even with just one dynamic? Interesting to see. These are better than the CKR90 but I am always saying they keep them worse vs. the CKR100 by not including the quad cable on the lower model. They have nearly the exact same quad cable as the CKS1100 except for MMCX instead of the AT connectors and a longer plug to work better with device cases.
IMG_0613.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #34,930 of 101,157
The LZ A5 rolled in yesterday. All I can say is wow! I haven't this great of sub-bass (or bass period before burn-in) in a earphone in a long time where it didn't impede on the mids and highs. Vocals are simply sublime and highly detailed with layers (I think highs take two BAs, mids take two BAs and then a dynamic driver for the bass). This is a steal for $250, fellas. Now, I don't know how it compares to their Big Dipper (or their A4), but this earphone has quickly made me put the it01. Only my planar earphones are getting more listening time (the ME.1 in particular).

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #34,931 of 101,157
I am interested in a FiiO F9 LTD, A5 comparison. Perhaps when the LTD come the A5 can be had for the same $200. Maybe throw in the JVC FD02 in that range and see what we have. Though it may seem the A5 is the only one with big bass. JVC and FiiO seem to be balanced with sub-bass focus. Still interesting to see the overall ability of these 3.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #34,932 of 101,157
The LZ A5 rolled in yesterday. All I can say is wow! I haven't this great of sub-bass (or bass period before burn-in) in a earphone in a long time where it didn't impede on the mids and highs. Vocals are simply sublime and highly detailed with layers (I think highs take two BAs, mids take two BAs and then a dynamic driver for the bass). This is a steal for $250, fellas. Now, I don't know how it compares to their Big Dipper (or their A4), but this earphone has quickly made me put the it01. Only my planar earphones are getting more listening time (the ME.1 in particular).
I’m listening to the rhythemos and curious how it stacks up the the a5. I think they are configured the same or close.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #34,933 of 101,157
So this LZ A5 is the first I've ever heard of the LZ line, and all I can say is that these earphone engineers know how to tune the hell out of a hybrid! The space space space of the instruments. The clarity! The sub-bass! The full-bodiness of the sound!! The vocal details! All are sublime without even getting through the burn in process. Really, all of the filters sound good to fantastic (with red being my least favorite because it sounds like almost too much sub-bass to the point of being nearly bloaty in sound). I'm finding that the grey filters gives me the best balance in sound, but the black, blue (then red) aren't bad either. These are something that competes with earphones in the $300 to $600 range (if not better). They make my K3003K eat dust two times over (and I really those hybrid). And they're comfortable, but definitely tip roll. My DZ7 definitely competes, but even without burn in these LZs leave the DZ7 in the dust from a bass standpoint. I'm thinking hard, but this may be hybrid IEM I've heard. It even surpasses the Sony Z5 in clarity (and better sub-bass).

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #34,934 of 101,157
So this LZ A5 is the first I've ever heard of the LZ line, and all I can say is that these earphone engineers know how to tune the hell out of a hybrid! The space space space of the instruments. The clarity! The sub-bass! The full-bodiness of the sound!! The vocal details! All are sublime without even getting through the burn in process. Really, all of the filters sound good to fantastic (with red being my least favorite because it sounds like almost too much sub-bass to the point of being nearly bloaty in sound). I'm finding that the grey filters gives me the best balance in sound, but the black, blue (then red) aren't bad either. These are something that competes with earphones in the $300 to $600 range (if not better). They make my K3003K eat dust two times over (and I really those hybrid). And they're comfortable, but definitely tip roll. My DZ7 definitely competes, but even without burn in these LZs leave the DZ7 in the dust from a bass standpoint. I'm thinking hard, but this may be hybrid IEM I've heard. It even surpasses the Sony Z5 in clarity (and better sub-bass).
Really great impressions. I wish the design guys were as proficient as the sound engineers. That logo just kills it for me.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #34,935 of 101,157

Thanks for the impressions. I'm in the market for new IEMs, I was budgeting them @€150 max, but if any more impressions like yours come I might wait extra month or two, save and get A5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back