The discovery thread!
May 29, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #36,421 of 100,013
Can't wait to do a comparison against the IMR R1 =)

What is going on here?!

They seem to have won an Red Dot design award. This can't be true, right? Looks really interesting though, graphene driver for 19$, how?
Umm the UiiSii CM5 is a graphene driver for $12. Still regret trading mine.

May 29, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #36,422 of 100,013
My HK6 has a pronounced boost around 200-500hz which does not sound very good with rock/metal music. I have to burn it a bit more and try a new cable, otherwise I'll be sending mine to DS to compare units. Otherwise, there is plenty of bass to go around for an all BA unit, and the other aspects of the sound are great.

The amount of EQ correction needed to cut that boost right now should not be happening on a $200+ IEM however.
I posted it last night but try foam tips, seems to balance out the sound quite a bit and I dislike foam tips lol.

May 29, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #36,423 of 100,013
Today I got this little fella :
20180529_210542.jpg

If anyone else is disappointed with the sq from their Galaxy S8 or other usb C equipped phone this is a great solution for $25 shipped (iirc).

May 29, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #36,426 of 100,013
Just got my HK6 in the mail today! I haven’t ripped open a package this fast in a while. I ordered a decent balanced cable yesterday so I can try it with my ES100, along with the Shanling M0.

So far, I’m impressed, at least with some songs. Some vocals sound absolutely amazing while others (specifically lower pitched vocals) can sound unclear and somewhat muddy. Mid-bass is fairly strong and can sometimes feel overwhelming. Does the mid-bass mellow out more later on? Or does the sound signature as a whole change/adjust?

So far though, I’m really enjoying listening to these. They sound pretty good right from the lightning to 3.5 mm adapter on my iPhone.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #36,427 of 100,013
Just play music through the HK6 continuously for a while. The HK6 come with very raw drivers in them. I have been listening to them all day today and they do have mid bass but no way do they sound muddy. They will sound better with more burn in you get on them. You should try a wider bored tip to even out the sound. I use Spiral dots and never had to use anything else.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #36,428 of 100,013
Just got my HK6 in the mail today! I haven’t ripped open a package this fast in a while. I ordered a decent balanced cable yesterday so I can try it with my ES100, along with the Shanling M0.

So far, I’m impressed, at least with some songs. Some vocals sound absolutely amazing while others (specifically lower pitched vocals) can sound unclear and somewhat muddy. Mid-bass is fairly strong and can sometimes feel overwhelming. Does the mid-bass mellow out more later on? Or does the sound signature as a whole change/adjust?

So far though, I’m really enjoying listening to these. They sound pretty good right from the lightning to 3.5 mm adapter on my iPhone.
M0 doesn't have balanced output though, right?

Burn in and also foam seems to work really well. Balances the frequencies out IMO.

May 30, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #36,430 of 100,013
Everything is good. However I am gonna just give warning to a certain person that feels the need to have his thoughts be the cardinal rule. You don't have to agree with another person but don't try n come in here and correct that person for how they hear things. Everyone has their views on how sound should be which is what makes the threads interesting. I encourage people posting their views but countering another members views with your own that clearly undermines how that person hear things or how graphs should be done ect.

This type of argument only irritates others and that is not the idea of what we do here. It is one thing if you have a counter view but another when all your trying to do is belittle or discredit, it is the idea of your not hearing correct because my graph says otherwise. Because I know and you don't.

Last time I checked this hobby is about listening to your music. Graphs gives a good idea of how a sound is shaped in an overall design but by no means a graph should replace actual hearing a phone for what it is. Why buy a phone at all then if all you need to do is just look at some lines and just know exactly how that is gonna sound? What is the point of discovering anything? Might as well ask for a graph of the new earphone if you know exactly how that is gonna sound just by looking at a graph.

Graphs should be just one aspect of how one views sound but by no means should you come in here and say your wrong because my graph says otherwise..
I do not know a single person that is serious about audio that would rather see a graph vs actually hearing the sound. But then if that is how your seeing it with no need to hear it. Keep it to yourself.

@crinacle You didn't see what triggered the moderation but it is more along the lines of more argument that he is right and since he is right no one else is right. Lol. You experienced it so you should have a good idea what that is about. Anyways. Onward and upward.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #36,431 of 100,013
Got the MS Spirals last night. The seal is better than the M for me so the sound was a lot better, only problem is the comfort since it's a smaller tip and pretty wide metal nozzle. Honestly didn't notice a difference from foams sound wise the night before so I'll go back to them and see if I can hear anything, if not then the foams will be my choice as they are much more comfy.

The HK6 definitely favor female vocals over male. Listening to Shawn Mendes "Stitches" I could notice some bleed into his vocals but it was still highly enjoyable. Listening to Hotel California Live Acoustic sounds absolutely stellar though. Very realistic sound. Closing my eyes I feel like I'm in the crowd. Then I threw on some Sade and disappeared into the music, her vocals on "Is it a Crime" really come through with passion on these. Tossed on a little smooth Jazz from Kim Waters, in "Possession" his sax really pulled at my emotions, I had never felt that before though it's my favorite song of his so I've heard many times. Even songs by 5FDP which sounded off in the beginning now sound much better.

Right now I'm very happy with the HK6 and have no regrets selling my Lyra II for it. It doesn't work for every genre or every song but it can sound very, very good.

May 30, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #36,432 of 100,013
Glad your enjoying the HK6 Lurk. For me it is that sense of space that gives a bonus to the sound. I wrote in my review of them how special they sound for vocals of all kinds. Now your hearing what makes the HK6 special in my view.

I know the HK6 or any phone for that matter will not be 100% agreeable for everyone but for guys that got the HK6. Give them a fair shot. I firmly believe they will grow on you and you will hear what makes them special. For the price we all got them for. Sure they are not without fault but for guys that have an eclectic variety of music they listen to. They sound pretty spectacular. Mid bass and all. Just give them some time. Try this try that.

One of the things I like to do on a new phone much like everyone else is give a quick listen on open listen. I know I was more impressed than most that got these on open listen. Lets just say I heard more potential from them than most. My pair as they sound now is spectacular in imaging, very cohesive with layers of dynamics and has a very spacious presentation.

I hope to have in my ears the very successor to these some day. Which I have a good feeling might actually happen.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #36,433 of 100,013
So I got some information that is very interesting. One of the sound engineers for NiceHCK used to tune earphones for Shure. No wonder mids take precedence on NiceHCK phones. This guy is tuning their next all BA earphone which will be out very soon. Supposed to be very affordable as well. I will divulge information when it happens.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #36,434 of 100,013
Just sharing a headphones deal

Sennheiser HD600 ( like new - open box ) - same price as Massdrop 6xx without the wait time.

https://www.blinq.com/detail/electr...ack-hd600/1425620?condition=like-new-open-box
So I got some information that is very interesting. One of the sound engineers for NiceHCK used to tune earphones for Shure. No wonder mids take precedence on NiceHCK phones. This guy is tuning their next all BA earphone which will be out very soon. Supposed to be very affordable as well. I will divulge information when it happens.

I think nicehck do a much better job than Zx

May 30, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #36,435 of 100,013
Hisenior B5+ are in the ears. Last night I thought I was on a hide to nothing as I could not get any eartips to work, tried all the old favourites. Woke up today and had a hard look at them, shortest nozzle I had ever seen and bingo realized I needed a wide shallow tip. Now these things are singing, brighter than the HK6 but it is so pleasing.

20180530_175956[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back