The discovery thread!
Jul 15, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #37,081 of 101,167
Here is my comparison of the new Toneking T4's and my other favorites, the FLC8S. I hope this will help people be able to get a glimpse into the T4's caliber of performance.
The 8s is obviously tunable so it would depend on what filters you'd use as to how it'll sound. My favorite filters with the 8s is black/gray (subbass) gray (midbass) and gold (mids and treble). I find this to be the best balanced sound I can get using my LG V20 as my source.
I actually find them to be somewhat similar with the 8s configured like I stated before, and the T4 using a pure silver cable, as well as the FLC pure silver upgrade cable on the 8s and tx400 comply foams on both iem's. I find their bass quality similar, with the T4 edging out the 8s on bass layers showing more details. They extend similarly to my ears, but the 8s has a little more of a midbass punch, somewhat overshadowing the subbass, while the T4 seems even from subbass to upperbsss quantity. The mids are again pretty similar, with a somewhat forward presence and excellent details once again, with the T4 coming in ahead again of the 8s in quality. I find the 8s to have a peak in the mid frequencies that give some glare or sharpness that the T4 don't have. Both have a ton of details in the mids, but the T4 are smoother and non-fatigueing in my opinion. The 8s and T4's treble both extend greatly and provide alot of resolution, but again the 8s have some glare that can become fatiguing after awhile, while the T4 just provides tons of sparkle and shimmer without any sibilance whatsoever. The treble is the highlight of their show to me, and they amaze me at much resolution and shimmer they provide while still remaining easy to listen to and remain natural with their timbre.
Both soundstages are similar once again, but I find the 8s to have a little better depth, while the T4 edges out the win in width.
I consider the FLC8S to be a more "fun" sounding earphone, while the T4 is more reference sounding, with a more natural timbre. Also, the T4 has one of the blackest backgrounds I've heard to date. Both are similar to drive, which is to say very, very easy for both.
The T4 has been a shocking revelation for me, as I consider the FLC8S to be a great value at 400.00 (I have the 100.00 FLC pure silver cable installed) and I got the T4 for 220.00 and that included the pure silver cable in that price. The T4 is now the best price to performance iem I've ever heard and deserves the spotlight and attention as such!
I find the T4 to be basically a more refined flc8s, and at half the price.....wow.
I should mention that the Toneking T4 being a semi custom fits me like a glove but your mileage will vary. I also found them to fit even better by going one size smaller in tips, just as something else to note. I bought my pair from hotfi on aliexpress and they shipped quickly, just as a plug for them and their good service

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #37,082 of 101,167
We got a video that reveals/shows some Fender info...

Power and space is a good description of some main traits.
We can see the connector is removable throughout since that is the Nine he's holding.
They explain the housing some.
The tips are not the Sureseal but are now "TPE malleable" that conform to the ear over time.
Nine 1 is shown right away and is most likely the sweet spot and be the highest seller.
Well before seeing this video I was always yanking on the cable :)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #37,083 of 101,167
Here is my comparison of the new Toneking T4's and my other favorites, the FLC8S. I hope this will help people be able to get a glimpse into the T4's caliber of performance.
The 8s is obviously tunable so it would depend on what filters you'd use as to how it'll sound. My favorite filters with the 8s is black/gray (subbass) gray (midbass) and gold (mids and treble). I find this to be the best balanced sound I can get using my LG V20 as my source.
I actually find them to be somewhat similar with the 8s configured like I stated before, and the T4 using a pure silver cable, as well as the FLC pure silver upgrade cable on the 8s and tx400 comply foams on both iem's. I find their bass quality similar, with the T4 edging out the 8s on bass layers showing more details. They extend similarly to my ears, but the 8s has a little more of a midbass punch, somewhat overshadowing the subbass, while the T4 seems even from subbass to upperbsss quantity. The mids are again pretty similar, with a somewhat forward presence and excellent details once again, with the T4 coming in ahead again of the 8s in quality. I find the 8s to have a peak in the mid frequencies that give some glare or sharpness that the T4 don't have. Both have a ton of details in the mids, but the T4 are smoother and non-fatigueing in my opinion. The 8s and T4's treble both extend greatly and provide alot of resolution, but again the 8s have some glare that can become fatiguing after awhile, while the T4 just provides tons of sparkle and shimmer without any sibilance whatsoever. The treble is the highlight of their show to me, and they amaze me at much resolution and shimmer they provide while still remaining easy to listen to and remain natural with their timbre.
Both soundstages are similar once again, but I find the 8s to have a little better depth, while the T4 edges out the win in width.
I consider the FLC8S to be a more "fun" sounding earphone, while the T4 is more reference sounding, with a more natural timbre. Also, the T4 has one of the blackest backgrounds I've heard to date. Both are similar to drive, which is to say very, very easy for both.
The T4 has been a shocking revelation for me, as I consider the FLC8S to be a great value at 400.00 (I have the 100.00 FLC pure silver cable installed) and I got the T4 for 220.00 and that included the pure silver cable in that price. The T4 is now the best price to performance iem I've ever heard and deserves the spotlight and attention as such!
I find the T4 to be basically a more refined flc8s, and at half the price.....wow.
I should mention that the Toneking T4 being a semi custom fits me like a glove but your mileage will vary. I also found them to fit even better by going one size smaller in tips, just as something else to note. I bought my pair from hotfi on aliexpress and they shipped quickly, just as a plug for them and their good service

I was looking into buying the new FLC8N, this only makes things harder. Which one sounds more open or airy? I don't like IEMS that sound too much in your head.

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #37,084 of 101,167
I have the 8s and haven't had the pleasure of hearing the 8n yet, but I've read the 8n have a wider sound stage than the 8s. Again though, I have only read that and not heard that first hand. The T4 and 8s have a similar width which is just outside my head and above average. The forward mids keep both from being the widest I've heard, but their gorgeous mids are worth the trade off in my opinion. I wouldn't classify either the 8s or T4 as being in your head, but it'll depend on what matters most to you. If sound stage width is extremely important to you, than there are better iem's out there.

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #37,085 of 101,167
Here are 2 graphs for the Toneking T4, that maybe of help to you guys. I'm still learning how to interpret graphs, and find them fascinating. Screenshot_2018-07-15-12-37-31.png Screenshot_2018-07-15-12-35-45.png

Jul 16, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #37,086 of 101,167
Loving that Fender video. Price is proper flagship level for the 13.6 model, but if it harks back to the Aurisonics glory days of the ASG 2.5, may be worth saving up for...

Anyone read anything on sound profiles for these yet?

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #37,087 of 101,167
Indeed tempting!
As I have to search further (Rose Mini6 delivered perfect sound but always broken) I ordered the T4 according to your promising impressions.
Another for the team, if I am the first - Toneking T88K in order, too. Gonna share my first impressions once I received both + the Rose Mini4.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #37,089 of 101,167
i ended up swapping my hisenior b5+ (which now seems to garner unqualified praise) for the hk6 (which are now popping up a lot for resale). it seems the hk6 has been lauded for its giant soundstage and ruthlessly revealing presentation and criticized for its overemphasized midbass; both viewpoints have considerable validity. it is an unusual tuning--unlike most “referenced-tuned,” high-dollar pieces, the HK6 really pushes that thick 80-200hz region forward, which highlights voices and acoustic guitars and is great for folk and jazz. heavier rock, esp. songs using synthetic instruments, can sound slightly unnatural and/or sibilant; bad digital recordings sound like bad digital recordings. stage is very wide and deed, albeit with limited height—there’s a great sense of space between performers, and layering is first-rate. subbass isn’t especially deep, but is quite sculpted and, compared to the B5+ or UE900s, has considerable impact. treble is less prominent that the mids but very well extended and detailed; it can get piercing at the extremes and these are not warm or smoothed over. build is okay but not premium-looking; isolation is good and fit and comfort are just fine. Overall, that somewhat exaggerated midbass gives them a slight incoherence and keeps them from endgame status, although they are definite keepers which excel with certain genres.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #37,090 of 101,167
Been listening to the new Fiio FH5s for the past several days. They are built really well and the package is premium for the price. While the cable that is included with the package is a good one. It is more for looks and function more than optimizing the sound of the FH5s.

Case in point I am using the cable that came with my IT04 on the FH5 and it made an immediate change for the better in the sonics of the FH5. As they are the sonics on the FH5 is leaning more toward a musical full bodied signature. Mids are highlighted as is the sub bass with non fatiguing clean treble. It does fit a similar sound niche as the HK6 but with a dedicated dynamic doing the bass work. Sub bass extension and texture is very good.

Stage is similar to the HK6 and also exhibits good depth. Less mid bass vs HK6 with a deeper sub bass, overall sound is clean with a slight tint of warmth. Vocals have a slight forwardness to it and overall resolution is good as well. Treble sounds very natural to me with no fatiguing spikes or grain.

Slight changes to enhance treble, bass or more mid forwardness can be done using cables and tips. Nothing like actual filters which actually change Fr on other phones but they can be tuned a touch to your liking. Overall I would say it is a good phone and competitive at the going price. IT04 they are not.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #37,092 of 101,167
So this is an interesting tid bit. First graph of the HK8.

UTB8nO1rAyaMiuJk43PTq6ySmXXaT.jpg
Can you possibly put the hk8 graph beside the hk6 graph? I'd love to compare them. You can pm me if you want bud. I'm just really curious to see how they look side by side, considering the mid bass being a hot topic with the hk6.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #37,094 of 101,167
Panny...

NEW stereo inside side phone RP - HDE 1 / RP - HDE 1 M to be released late April
HDE1_mv_pc.png

Wake up to the world of high resolution sound for the first time
RP-HDE 1 (5 colors)
RP-HDE 1 M (with remote control with microphone)

Open price ※

High sound quality excelling in sense of resolution and distinctness
A newly designed diameter 11.0 mm HD driver is mounted, realizing high sound quality superior in resolution feeling and clarity.

HDE1_pic01.png

information
NEW wireless stereo headphones RP-HD600N / RP-HD500B
HD600_500_mv_pc.png

New generation wireless headphones that convey high resolution sound equivalent to high res * 1 to the ear

RP-HD 600N (Noise Canceling Model)

HD600_500_mark01.png

HD600_500_mark02.png

HD600_500_pic01.png

RP-HD 500 B
HD600_500_mark01.png

HD600_500_mark03.png

HD600_500_pic02.png

accessories

HD600_500_pic03.png

RP-HD 600N Read the reviews of everyone
RP-HD 500 B Read reviews of everyone
High resolution sound equivalent to high resolution * 1 even wirelessly
Corresponds to the high sound quality AAC codec in addition to the Bluetooth ® standard codec SBC. Furthermore, LDAC ™ and Qualcomm ® aptX ™ HD are also compatible, achieving high resolution faster response in wireless. Faithfully reproduce precise sound equivalent to high res.

* 1 When connecting to Bluetooth ® , up to 96 kHz / 24 bit playback with LDAC support (high resolution play at wired connection)

Adopting a driver that faithfully reproduces the precise sound of a high-res sound source
HD600_500_pic04.png

Super multilayer film (MLF) diaphragm adopted for HD driver
Adopted an iridescent luster MLF (Multi Layer Film) that makes shiny sounds image. Super multi-layer film stacked in hundreds of layers does not leave unnecessary reverberation, and realizes high responsiveness, broadband, high resolution reproduction.

HD600_500_pic05.png

Newly developed "vibration damping frame" supporting HD driver
By adopting the frame of the new vibration damping structure · vibration damping material, it reduces unnecessary driver's vibration and directs the spreading feeling of the sound field.

You can enjoy plenty of music for a long time at home or on the go.
The RP-HD 600N is continuously played 20 hours * 2 , and the RP-HD 500 B can enjoy plenty of music with continuous 35-hour playback.

※ 2 When noise cancellation is ON.

HD600_500_pic06.png

Noise canceling (RP - HD600N) compatible with broadband, which can be used in various scenes
Four microphones on the inside and outside of the housing reduce noise in a wide range of scenes
Noise canceling function adopting both the feedforward system in which the microphone is arranged outside the housing and the feedback system arranged on the driver unit side close to the eardrum. Together with the signal processing circuit, it achieves more accurate performance.

Three modes that can be selected according to the noise environment are installed
The noise cancellation strength can be set according to your preference, such as a cafe-like quiet place from a ride such as an airplane or a train.

HD600_500_pic07.png

Mode A
Mode B Mode C
Noise cancellation strength strength During ~ weak
Voice-through function to hear ambient sound with one touch operation
When you want to listen to outside sounds such as announcements in the train, the volume is reduced and the noise canceling function is turned off by merely touching the housing with the right hand, the noise canceling function is turned off, making it easy to hear surrounding sounds without removing the headphones I will.

HD600_500_pic08.png

Ergonomic comfortable wearing feeling
HD600_500_pic09.png

3D ball joint mechanism
You can wear it at the optimum position according to the circumference of each person's head and ears.

HD600_500_pic10.png

Ergonomic 3D ear pad
It appears Panasonic now has a RP-HD605N model available at Amazon.com but no where else. It looks identical to the 600N do you suppose this will just be a regional difference versus an actual difference in design?

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #37,095 of 101,167
^ Of course it should be just regional. They don't spend more than they need; just on the packaging and aren't gonna really spend to change the headphones. Panny had the HTF600 here more recently so they probably changed to 605 to differentiate better here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back