The discovery thread!
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #41,341 of 100,567
Recycled shell - Semkarch CNT-1 and Magaosi K3 and K3 pro.

I have the Semkarch CNT-1 and they definitely don't look that cool. The color options on the PHB and that design on the shell do make a difference. The CNT1 do look nice but just not as flashy for sure.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #41,343 of 100,567
It would be interesting to have a sound comparison with the Magaosi K5 as they look identical?

Sadly I do not have the K5. I think majority of these semi CIEM-ish units look quite the same. I'm guessing because they are made by the same OEM, Neo.

One big difference just from reading the specifications is that the BG uses Knowles BA(Probably 22955) for bass.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #41,344 of 100,567
I initially read this as "Tipsy Dumpster". Didn't have high hopes…

since with chi-fi all the nay-saying have been "they can't just cram more drivers in, tuning is important, even single DD can be good", I thought this single dual-DD would be a good model to be "discovered". Their high-end model is quite pricey but its just a CIEM made with probably Knowles BA, lots of selection there.
IMO a lot of people think foam tips increase bass only because they actually get a proper seal with them

Hmm funny you should mention that. I just came across the 21. For some reason, I can't post pics at the moment but here is the link to Ali.

I also found those on taobao, back when the PHB-EM023 was released. Also came to the conclusion based on the shell that its probably just an OEM model made by another company (which goes for many of the models bearing PHB's name on taobao, all looked like the various random IEMs released by other companies).

FWIW, I like the tin-style packaging they made, copying Ibasso in that regard.

there was this 30 bux BA+DD hybrid model that looked the most interesting, PHB EP-021, though I can't seem to even find their official store, so that's a bit worrying.

the fact that this model is suddenly 2-pin does kinda lend credence to the "random OEM models" claims, I think
O1CN01PGWYiz21ohcKqO3La_!!1073937032.jpg

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #41,345 of 100,567
So I kind of list patience with the Sony Hybrid Tip thing. I can't seem to find anything that looks exactly real, everyone has a copy. So here's the shotgun approach...

1. Bought Sony Hybrid Tips from Nickston. These look to be a compatible copy.

2. Bought a 2 - 3 pair packs on ebay that has Sony markings from Japan. Seller cantale.

3. Bought some Sony Hybrid Tips claimed from Japan in 2 pair packs, L and LL. Seller akibashipping

4. Bought some Chinese obvious fakes just because they were so cheap.

So, yes a little overboard. I figure, if it's not real, hopefully it's of good enough quality to use and present its twist on sound. I'd be floored if they all sound the same.

If I search on ebay or Aliexpress for Sony hybrid tips, a seller Yalokin pops up all over. They have decent prices, better on Aliexpress. Does anyone have an opinion on their tips compared to real Sony Hybrid Tips (if there is such a thing)?

Am I losing it? Yes.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #41,347 of 100,567
Yeah. Why don't you go to the nearest electronics store (if you don't have a sony center nearby) and just buy a cheap $10-15 sony iem - it will come with real sony hybrids.

True, I thought about that as I've seen some Sony IEMs for dirt cheap but I want the tips, not the IEMs. I ordered the MH755 but who's knows on that as well. If my pair appears real, I'll let the gang know for those interested. I'll even compare the tips I get of they are genuine.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #41,348 of 100,567
True, I thought about that as I've seen some Sony IEMs for dirt cheap but I want the tips, not the IEMs. I ordered the MH755 but who's knows on that as well. If my pair appears real, I'll let the gang know for those interested. I'll even compare the tips I get of they are genuine.
I'm just saying. Instead of waiting for international orders and buying from 10 different places hoping for original ones, you could have gotten them in the nearest store. Otherwise, for the original ones just search for sony ep-ex, but you'll see that they are usually out of stock or go for like 10-20 bucks, so why not just get a sony iem for the money and get an extra iem? You can also try and find a sony mh1 or mh1c as they have an improved version of the sony hybrids. If you don't mind foamies, you can also order the sony triple comfort tips, which are different from all the other foam tips on the market and are like silicone tips made of foam although I don't like them at all.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #41,349 of 100,567
Interesting, I would not have expected comply tips to reduce bass so much. On other IEMS, I usually hear more bass with comply tips..

IMO a lot of people think foam tips increase bass only because they actually get a proper seal with them

me personally, between Silicone and foam tips, when both have a solid seal, the silicone will always have a bigger bass vibration and more crisp treble. differences on silicone material also contribute to slight changes in sound, but mostly i chose whichever most comfortable

Jan 20, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #41,350 of 100,567
me personally, between Silicone and foam tips, when both have a solid seal, the silicone will always have a bigger bass vibration and more crisp treble. differences on silicone material also contribute to slight changes in sound, but mostly i chose whichever most comfortable
Silicone for me all the way!

Jan 20, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #41,352 of 100,567
Oh Boy, there is a new one on my must try list. The Auglamour F300 just showed up on my desk this weekend and it is a good one.

F300y-700x700.jpg

Single 10mm Dynamic Driver (Titanium composite)

Here is the FR I ran tonight on it. - this is uncompensated but done with a calibrated mic.

ag f300.jpg

Comes pretty near the target curve and no big spikes. Very well tuned for a $35 product. (Penon Audio price)

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #41,353 of 100,567
Oh Boy, there is a new one on my must try list. The Auglamour F300 just showed up on my desk this weekend and it is a good one.

Here is the FR I ran tonight on it. - this is uncompensated but done with a calibrated mic.

Comes pretty near the target curve and no big spikes. Very well tuned for a $35 product. (Penon Audio price)

really good channel matching too

reminded me of the recent KZ ZS7 measurement made by @hakuzen, how do they compare?

10229718.png

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #41,354 of 100,567

M`kay, that FR looks pretty good actually and driver is titanium composite. Wonder how FR graph looks when Harman Target compensated?
Could be really great sound for 35$ but shell design is ugly to me (only black looks ok).
Being 1-DD, I think it will be more neutral and better mids than ZS7 and C10, also more coherent sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back