The discovery thread!
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #38,611 of 99,961
If you are talking about brain burn in, i listened to these no more than 10 minutes, 5 to be honest. And i almost had to hold back the contents of my stomach.
I then listened to them 24 hours later, and the difference was not night and day, but earth and another galaxy.
So brain burn in and my perception is out.
And if you think I am exaggerating, I am not.
The DM6 out of the box sounded like it was under water, 50 feet down.
I'm not saying that you are lying or crazy. Just suggesting that our hearing is not objective.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #38,612 of 99,961
Here's an interesting experiment that I just tried, because of a PM, asking how my LZ A4 earphone compares to my NiceHCK EBX earbud.
Since they've both got MMCX connectors, I've currently got an EBX (donut foam over full foam) in my left ear, and an A4 (Grey Nozzle, Red Back) in my right ear (it's the Left earphone, since it's more comfortable to switch them, when worn over-the-ear).
I've listened to them connected to the Balanced output on my Walnut F1 Amp, with input from a FiiO Taishan D03K (Cirrus 4344) DAC, being driven by the TOSLINK output of my Roku 4 Net Streamer (streaming music from the Internet) - and to the Balanced output on my Onkyo DP-X1 DAP (playing FLAC files of my CD rips).
Surprise - The EBX goes as low in the Bass, but doesn't have quite as much impact, since it's not sealed in my ear, like the A4.
The EBX does seem to be more efficient (louder), and it may have a bit more Midrange.
So, the whole sound image is shifted a bit to my left, since the EBX has a bigger, more open Sound Stage, and the A4 is a bit more in-your-head sounding.
Other than that, they sound very similar. (NOTE: My hearing only goes out to about 13.5-KHz, so I'm not hearing any differences in high frequency peaks.)

EDIT:
Just realized that I had switched from the Grey Nozzles to the Black Nozzles - so the EBX really does have more Midrange (above 1.5-KHz).
Using the Green or Blue Nozzles, might even up the levels between the A4 and the EBX.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #38,613 of 99,961
@Kitechaser I believe you. You must be new to this thread. I have been telling people from the beginning how important burn in is on their earphones. Including BAs. I always get that one know it all dude that comes in this thread. Telling me how pointless burn in is.

Some earphones need zero burn in. My Andro S sounded great out of the box. Cheaper earphones not so much. However you best believe they will make sure each BAs in my Andros have optimum sound before they ship. On a $200 Chifi earphone. Zero burn in from the factory. I am willing to bet on this.
I don't get why people have such a hard time accepting it, and why its such a touchy subject.
I just purchased an RHA CL2 Planar, and the same thing happened, but not to such an extreme end as the DM6.
These iems break in physically, and electrically. Its not magic, just basic physics.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #38,614 of 99,961
my Victor MX10s were lifeless out the box and are much more musical now but thats just my $0.02.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #38,617 of 99,961
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #38,618 of 99,961
I don't get why people have such a hard time accepting it, and why its such a touchy subject.
I just purchased an RHA CL2 Planar, and the same thing happened, but not to such an extreme end as the DM6.
These iems break in physically, and electrically. Its not magic, just basic physics.

Nobody is saying that the drivers wouldn't change after some run-in time. To answer your question on why that is the part that is hard to accept, the real argument is whether or not the changes are within the threshold of hearing because in the context of balanced armatures (and arguably dynamic drivers as well), the changes are so little that one shouldn't even consider them at all.

As for why it is touchy, we can ask ourselves why burn-in (amongst the believers) is overwhelmingly regarded as a positive thing. If there is a change in the drivers, shouldn't it be natural that there will be just as many people hating the post-burn-in sound as there are people liking it? You realise all of a sudden we start getting into rather "aggressive" territory, even if the line of questioning I have isn't inherently so. I'm not trying to start a debate here, I'm saying that instead of hyper-focusing on a single aspect there should be a consideration of every other possibility that explains the phenomenon that you're observing. Don't shoehorn yourself into a single, small corner of the big picture.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #38,619 of 99,961
@Kitechaser I’m with you on the DM6. I thought they sounded dull out of the box, with not much clarity, single ended or balanced. They’ve gotten better. Right at the precipice, still searching for just a smidgen more. My other only BA iem (Campfire Comets) also sounded a bit lacking of clarity when I got them, now they are very resolving. People can think whatever they want.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #38,620 of 99,961
Nobody is saying that the drivers wouldn't change after some run-in time. To answer your question on why that is the part that is hard to accept, the real argument is whether or not the changes are within the threshold of hearing because in the context of balanced armatures (and arguably dynamic drivers as well), the changes are so little that one shouldn't even consider them at all.

As for why it is touchy, we can ask ourselves why burn-in (amongst the believers) is overwhelmingly regarded as a positive thing. If there is a change in the drivers, shouldn't it be natural that there will be just as many people hating the post-burn-in sound as there are people liking it? You realise all of a sudden we start getting into rather "aggressive" territory, even if the line of questioning I have isn't inherently so. I'm not trying to start a debate here, I'm saying that instead of hyper-focusing on a single aspect there should be a consideration of every other possibility that explains the phenomenon that you're observing. Don't shoehorn yourself into a single, small corner of the big picture.
Your car needs a break in period too. The engine performs better after the first 3000 miles. Why doesn't it go the other way, and why don't cars after the first 3000 miles, start huffing and puffing, and blow up in your face.
All mechanical and electrical components get better with burn in, from your computer to your TV, to Electrical PLC panels. This phenomenon is not just IEM related.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #38,621 of 99,961
Your car needs a break in period too. The engine performs better after the first 3000 miles. Why doesn't it go the other way, and why don't cars after the first 3000 miles, start huffing and puffing, and blow up in your face.
All mechanical and electrical components get better with burn in, from your computer to your TV, to Electrical PLC panels. This phenomenon is not just IEM related.

False equivalence. The comparison between a tiny earphone and a car is not the same.

I'm not trying to argue with you about burn-in. I'm telling you to consider other possibilities. So stop trying to convince me otherwise.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #38,622 of 99,961
@Kitechaser I’m with you on the DM6. I thought they sounded dull out of the box, with not much clarity, single ended or balanced. They’ve gotten better. Right at the precipice, still searching for just a smidgen more. My other only BA iem (Campfire Comets) also sounded a bit lacking of clarity when I got them, now they are very resolving. People can think whatever they want.
Not gonna argue anymore, lest this thread turns into a flame war :)
How long have you been using it for? The DM6 I mean.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #38,625 of 99,961
The DM6 is a beast. Great rec

I love mine.
Folks will disagree. I just saw Zeos say the FiiO FH5 sounded more open than open back headphones and laughed...then watched one of my rants and realized I am THAT guy sometimes... and the dude in here I dislike is THAT guy too. I don't wanna be a dude that forgets about the music like they clearly have.

I will try harder, I will do better.

Dear Music,
Save me....from being THAT guy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back