The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Jun 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #4,006 of 9,815
Is it just me or are the K422's an AKG that is/was supposed to be from France through a partnership from Pack Fnac and AKG. I just noticed that the box is covered in blue stickers that when peeled off say Pack Fnac. Sure it could be a custom box for their company but considering the rarity of news on the AKG K422, it's not a huge idea to say that it is a foreign product of a specific retailer that Musician Friends bought a large quantitiy of and resold in the U.S

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #4,007 of 9,815
Is it just me or are the K422's an AKG that is/was supposed to be from France through a partnership from Pack Fnac and AKG. I just noticed that the box is covered in blue stickers that when peeled off say Pack Fnac. Sure it could be a custom box for their company but considering the rarity of news on the AKG K422, it's not a huge idea to say that it is a foreign product of a specific retailer that Musician Friends bought a large quantitiy of and resold in the U.S

Yeah, I'm sure they snagged them as a closeout, but that's okay, it just means we got them at a low price. :wink:

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #4,008 of 9,815
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure they snagged them as a closeout, but that's okay, it just means we got them at a low price.
wink.gif

They are quite nice for $20...but there is a reason why they weren't labeled as portable and only labeled as "foldable"....AKG and PackFnac...you tricky b@strds........ I knew they were semi open buying into them but it's still a disapointment when everyone knows when I am blasting "Friday"-Rebecca Black and "Party in the U.S.A"-Miley Cirus! (I'm kidding)

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #4,009 of 9,815
Quote:

A cursory Google search prior to ordering all but confirmed as much.  Mine arrived today and I couldn't help but laugh at the sight of the blue stickers.  Honestly, did Musician's Friend (or possibly their supplier) really think that leaving the badging untouched was at all offensive?

In terms of performance, I found the K422 to be as described above: a consumer-centric sound signature.  It's not offensive, but there's a definite mid-bass focus.  There's also currently a looseness to the presentation that may or may not disappear after accruing some hours. (and I suspect it might as it's very much akin to my KSC75 when it was fresh out of the box)

Overall, not bad for $23 and I've certainly spent much more on subjectively worse performing 'phones.  They'll do for "bangers" due to decently inspiring build quality (they beat the Koss in this regard) and form factor, but as of this writing I can confidently say that I prefer the KSC75s that I picked up for $15 each.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #4,010 of 9,815
Quote:
damn. just received the K422's and you're right. they're not closed, as it said in the description. which sucks, because i wanted to use them on the subway. and i didn't want people to know i still listen to Yes.

that being said...they are a great size, nice build, nice fit....and the sound is pretty darn good. obviously, not as much bass as i'm used to with my larger headphones, but still very nice.

so....good phones, great deal....but not what i needed. :frowning2:

From http://www.fnac.com/AKG-K422/a3109268/w-4 :

Un casque astucieux et unique, en exclusivité à la Fnac ! À conception semi-ouverte, il délivre un son envoûtant et sans distorsion, même à plein volume. Léger et confortable grâce à son rembourrage intégré, il offre un système de pliage ingénieux sur un axe tridimensionnel. Il se logera facilement dans la housse incluse.

Which translates to "Semi-open design". Where did you read it was closed? You could probably get a refund for wrong advertising.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #4,011 of 9,815
Jun 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #4,013 of 9,815
Quote:
What would be the best deal for headphones around 100~? I recently missed out on the ATH-M50 :frowning2: Was just about to come and order and the link was no longer valid.

I think this sale may be happening again -

"Hello! We recently ran a special for the ATH-M50 headphones for $99.99 - this special has ended. However, we are considering running this again (once the dust settles from the last special). There will be limited quantities at this price, so if you are interested in being notified in advance when these are going on special again, please send your email address to specials@soundprofessionals.com and you will get a notification about the sale in advance."

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #4,014 of 9,815
It's pretty obvious that it's semi-open through the pictures though, I mean, you can see the mesh covering the vents surrounding the center.

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #4,015 of 9,815
Just read the Terms....you can argue but if they are smart about it..you can't do crap to them..although some just give you a discount if you ask hard enough

but their TOS:

Because prices, product descriptions, and availability can change quickly, Musician's Friend does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information provided on the Site. For more on our pricing policies, please refer to our Site Terms of Use.

There are no returns on clearance, discontinued, vintage, demo and select used items.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #4,017 of 9,815
Received my K422's yesterday. So far...meh.

They are definitely not $99 headphones. I'd say they are worth the $20 I paid for them.

They will do fine as a replacement for my last pair of $20 headphones that recently stopped working.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #4,019 of 9,815

[size=1.4em] [size=1em]Numark PHX USB DJ Headphones $39.95 with discount code MUSNUMAR.[/size][/size]

[size=1em]USB headphones. Interesting. Anyone ever use USB 'phones?[/size]

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #4,020 of 9,815
Quote:

[size=1.4em] [size=1em]Numark PHX USB DJ Headphones $39.95 with discount code MUSNUMAR.[/size][/size]

[size=1em]USB headphones. Interesting. Anyone ever use USB 'phones?[/size]

Just some Logitech gaming-phones for, well, gaming (they actually sound quite good). Interesting enough those Numarks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back