The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Mar 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #2,491 of 9,815
This may or may not be a valid point in the discussion, but Rolls-Royce sold more cars than ever before amidst the recent economic downturn.  The people who have money for what they perceive to be luxuries will pay for them.  Whether or not the luxury headphone market can target that market is a point up for debate - but the LCD-3's recently being featured in the Robb Report would seem to indicate that there is some interest in that market segment for top-flight headphones.

The richest 1% of Americans captured 93% of income gains in 2010
The bottom 90% of Americans lost $127 on average
the top 1% gained $105,637

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #2,493 of 9,815
Quick note:

Example of Rolls Royce selling more cars in bad economic times
Well, it is due to the China and emerging markets effect
Without China, Rolls would have folded. In any case, the stock market recovered from its lows big time, and those who have most of their worth in stocks (rich) continue to purchase the goods.
In any case comparing a brand like Sennheiser which manufactures crap to high end to a only high end brand like Rolls Royce with the cheapest item at 250,000 USD is extremely absurd.

-----------------

Back to the point.
Well I was considering HD598 as a future purchase, but with the prices staying high and no discounts I decided not to pursue the items anymore. I instead purchased the Grado phones, at least I will be supporting a company that manufactures its items in the country that I am from and making a living at, instead of supporting a company that is not manufacturing its goods in its home base. HD598s when I tested them in Best Buy sounded good, but i was not impressed with the quality at all, heavy use of plastics which really did not tell me "these are $250 phones" and the sound quality is easily matched with phones that are half its price imo.

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #2,495 of 9,815
AKG K240 are going for $99 at Musician's Friend.

EDIT, I guess it's the K240 Studio.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2,496 of 9,815

Quote:
Quick note:

Example of Rolls Royce selling more cars in bad economic times
Well, it is due to the China and emerging markets effect
Without China, Rolls would have folded. In any case, the stock market recovered from its lows big time, and those who have most of their worth in stocks (rich) continue to purchase the goods.
In any case comparing a brand like Sennheiser which manufactures crap to high end to a only high end brand like Rolls Royce with the cheapest item at 250,000 USD is extremely absurd.

-----------------

Back to the point.
Well I was considering HD598 as a future purchase, but with the prices staying high and no discounts I decided not to pursue the items anymore. I instead purchased the Grado phones, at least I will be supporting a company that manufactures its items in the country that I am from and making a living at, instead of supporting a company that is not manufacturing its goods in its home base. HD598s when I tested them in Best Buy sounded good, but i was not impressed with the quality at all, heavy use of plastics which really did not tell me "these are $250 phones" and the sound quality is easily matched with phones that are half its price imo.

I hear you.  It's interesting to note that Grado appears to have their own MAP policy.  They however, are a much smaller family company that has very affordable price points for those approaching and entering the mid-fi market.  While Grado has increased its prices over the years, those increases have been modest. Often when it comes to a MAP the devil (and any angels) are in the details of that policy.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #2,498 of 9,815

Quote:
I hear you.  It's interesting to note that Grado appears to have their own MAP policy.  They however, are a much smaller family company that has very affordable price points for those approaching and entering the mid-fi market.  While Grado has increased its prices over the years, those increases have been modest. Often when it comes to a MAP the devil (and any angels) are in the details of that policy.

It's interesting that the HD598 at $250 are a terrible deal but the SR225i at $200 is fine.

The difference is that Grado's NEVER go on sale, so there's nothing to complain about. Everybody has seen the Sennheisers on sale for $170, so all of a sudden, the HD598's aren't worth $250.

If you want HD 598's for $170, just get a "refurbished to new condition with full warranty" pair from DAK. These days, so many companies enforce MAP with their distributors, but allow backdoor sales of "refurbished" units at normal street prices. It's just a game - the refurbs are basically new in box.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #2,499 of 9,815

Quote:
It's interesting that the HD598 at $250 are a terrible deal but the SR225i at $200 is fine.

The difference is that Grado's NEVER go on sale, so there's nothing to complain about. Everybody has seen the Sennheisers on sale for $170, so all of a sudden, the HD598's aren't worth $250.

If you want HD 598's for $170, just get a "refurbished to new condition with full warranty" pair from DAK. These days, so many companies enforce MAP with their distributors, but allow backdoor sales of "refurbished" units at normal street prices. It's just a game - the refurbs are basically new in box.

That's odd because I recently picked up a new 325 on sale for under $266 shipped.  Maybe the Grado MAP allows discounting with coupons or email inquiries about price.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #2,500 of 9,815

Quote:
That's odd because I recently picked up a new 325 on sale for under $266 shipped.  Maybe the Grado MAP allows discounting with coupons or email inquiries about price.

Probably... or maybe only with certain models at certain times.  I've seen both Headroom and J&R sell the SR-225i for around $170... picked one up from the latter maybe a year ago or so.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #2,501 of 9,815

Quote:
And $6 cheaper currently (they have been just under $90 days ago) shipped from Amazon.

I think the K240 at Musician's Friend might be MKIIs?

EDIT, I guess they are K240 Studios, not MKII.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #2,504 of 9,815

Quote:
About a month ago people thought they were getting AKG 240 (I or II) from there but got 240 studio instead.

Yes--they and their affiliated site Music123 had misdescribed the product they were selling as the MK II.  I had more than a little back and forth with them about the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back