The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Jan 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,921 of 9,815

Quote:
I'm thinking about some pad upgrades though, but I see that J$ isn't around anymore. Anyone know what other options are out there right now?

It looks like Lawton Audio is making their own now - they have them on pre-order.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,922 of 9,815

Quote:
Don't let being closed stop you, my D7000s have a much larger soundstage than any other closed cans I've ever heard, and by all accounts the D5000s are the same way. I'm so crazy about these things that I don't even want to listen to my other phones anymore.
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking about some pad upgrades though, but I see that J$ isn't around anymore. Anyone know what other options are out there right now?

Honestly being closed was just an excuse, the main reason was that i'm not sure that HE-400 will arrive as promised and i will have enough time to compare D5000 HE-400 and my beloved HD650 before return period ends

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #1,923 of 9,815

Quote:
I would have bought them for $650, so... that tax I would live with. Worth every penny.

Quote:
It's still way cheaper than 999.99. I almost pulled trigger on D5000 but than realized they are closed plus no guarantee i will receive HE-400 by end of next week as promised

Thanks for the encouragement! I do really want these, and I know $650 is a good price.

I'm going to send back the HE-400's and apply the refund to the Denons. J&R's website says "call for latest price" so I'll check with them in the morning and order from one or the other.

I'm really hoping I like them. I briefly tried a pair of 5000's at the last meet I attended and I liked what I heard. I've read that the 7000's sound basically the same only a hair more refined and the bass is slightly better controlled. I hate it when bass bleeds into the mids causing a "cupped hands" kind of thickness. That's mainly why I don't like the HE-400's.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,924 of 9,815
It looks like Lawton Audio is making their own now - they have them on pre-order.

Sweet.

Ouch, $90, that'll have to wait a while.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,925 of 9,815

Quote:

Thanks for the encouragement! I do really want these, and I know $650 is a good price.

I'm going to send back the HE-400's and apply the refund to the Denons. J&R's website says "call for latest price" so I'll check with them in the morning and order from one or the other.

I'm really hoping I like them. I briefly tried a pair of 5000's at the last meet I attended and I liked what I heard. I've read that the 7000's sound basically the same only a hair more refined and the bass is slightly better controlled. I hate it when bass bleeds into the mids causing a "cupped hands" kind of thickness. That's mainly why I don't like the HE-400's.

Hopefully D5000 don't have more bass than HD650 and exactly why i can't get D5000 now cause i want to compare them with HE-400 and HD650 and determine which one are better for me especially since p don't have and not planing to buy a dedicated amp

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,930 of 9,815
I ordered my D7000's from J&R. I called them and was told they're on sale for $899. I explained I was looking at open box Denons at Electronics Expo for $575 and the sales rep came back and quoted me $800 even.

An extra $150 for new in box peace of mind and 30 days no questions asked returns was worth it to me.

I can't wait to get them!

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,931 of 9,815
Don't you mean an extra $200+? Telling you, the new in open box D7000 from EE IS new. And it comes with the warranty... Oh well.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #1,932 of 9,815

Quote:
Don't you mean an extra $200+? Telling you, the new in open box D7000 from EE IS new. And it comes with the warranty... Oh well.

No, it's $150 after tax.

I was sorely tempted to save the money, but in the end, I decided I would always wonder if the open box units were new, returns from other customers (why did they return them? How were they treated by them?) or factory refurbished. Buying new guarantees I know exactly what I'm getting.

To me, it's worth a few extra dollars.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,933 of 9,815

Quote:
I ordered my D7000's from J&R. I called them and was told they're on sale for $899. I explained I was looking at open box Denons at Electronics Expo for $575 and the sales rep came back and quoted me $800 even.

An extra $150 for new in box peace of mind and 30 days no questions asked returns was worth it to me.

I can't wait to get them!

Seriously?  J&R was selling them for the for $600-650 for the longest time when you called in... Shop around - even when they first came out they weren't that price.  I'd suggest shopping around for a better deal.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #1,934 of 9,815
No, it's $150 after tax.

I was sorely tempted to save the money, but in the end, I decided I would always wonder if the open box units were new, returns from other customers (why did they return them? How were they treated by them?) or factory refurbished. Buying new guarantees I know exactly what I'm getting.

To me, it's worth a few extra dollars.

I forgot you get taxed. I don't.

And New In Open Box means just that, new but the box was open... the headphones and everything IN the box was completely untouched. All signs of tampering were non-existent. One major way to tell is the arms that hold the cups.... they have a specific 'sticker' on both arms that would OBVIOUSLY show signs of use. The cables, everything was exactly the same as the NEW one I bought a year ago.

There's being sure, and then there's paranoid. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back