The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 21, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #482 of 12,546
You know I think I am just crazy. As I listen more I am liking it more. :) I think I am just too used to the sound and bass from the Beats.

Edit - Wow after going back and forth between the Beats hooked directly to the iMac and the DT 880's it's not even close. The Beyer's kill them. Sorry for the false alarm. I am very much enjoying the sound now :)

May 21, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #483 of 12,546
Mine sounded thin, a little tinny on the highs and muddy in the bass at first.  That changed quite a bit after 5-10 hours, though.  Up through about 25-30 hours the mids sounded confused.  But after 50+ hours things have settled down very nicely.  Highs are extended and smooth, mids are clearer and smoother, bass is articulate, extended and dynamic.

With my Bada in the shop, I am running the DT880/600 through the headphone output of the AMC XIA integrated.  The sound is very well-paced and immediate, and especially enjoyable with vocals.

Truth be told, I just bought weeeeesquirrel's upgraded DV336SE to tide me over (with tubes) until the Bada comes back.  I used to own the DT880/2003 version and the DV336i, and really, really liked that combination.  Can't wait to hear the DT880/600 and weeeeesquirrel's "Overhaulin' 336SE"!  

I am quite happy with the DT880/600, and definitely plan to keep them alongside the K501.

May 22, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #485 of 12,546
After having the 250 ohm and now the 600 ohm I can certainly agree with what others have said... not a drop of mud in these cans.
Clear, bright and clean. Yes, play them for many hours. Pink noise, music, whatever.

Congrats and enjoy! Wonderful, revealing cans.

There are just a couple drops of mud in the DT770/600 however. Not bad, just a little more thick and viscous.
wink_face.gif

beyersmile.png

shane

May 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #486 of 12,546
Well, since getting mine a few days back I've been getting to know them intimately and find a deffinate synergie with my Fi-Quest amp. So much so that I am having a few late nights or should I say early mornings :) I've even stopped rolling opamps since installing the TO-99 (AM) version of the OPA637's, lets just say I'm a detail freak.......

These things are definate keepers!

May 24, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #487 of 12,546
I started a new thread with this question, but it hasn't gotten much attention...
redface.gif

I'm curious about getting an inexpensive tube amp.
I read a great wirte-up on the Little Dot MKIII and wonder if it would be a good match for the DT880 / DT770.

Anyone have experience with this combo and would care to comment?

Can someone recommend a different tube amp that they think works better with the DT's?

Am I going to hear much difference from the DAC1-Pre or Outlaw receiver?

thanks!

shane

May 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #488 of 12,546
Stay cool, that "XY headphone needs an ABC amp to shine" is mostly senseless gearitis IMO. I've plugged my 880'600, NoXter's T1 and lots of other "difficult" HPs in a variety of amps (we're meet junkies over here), and I haven't yet to find an amp that does remarkably better or worse. Driving 2 small driver thingies with a few mW isn't such a hard duty. I am convinced that also your little Dot gives you at least 98% of what the can is capable of.

The bat ear fraction may disagree, but...

May 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #489 of 12,546

Quote:
 I am convinced that also your little Dot gives you at least 98% of what the can is capable of.

Thanks!
There may be a wee bit of confusion. I don't have the Little Dot. I have the DAC1-Pre (and an Outlaw RR2150 2-ch rcvr.).

I understand what you're saying. I've heard very little difference between 3 SolidState sources. But I was curious to know if Tubes would change the landscape...
regular_smile .gif

shane

May 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #490 of 12,546

Quote:
Stay cool, that "XY headphone needs an ABC amp to shine" is mostly senseless gearitis IMO. I've plugged my 880'600, NoXter's T1 and lots of other "difficult" HPs in a variety of amps (we're meet junkies over here), and I haven't yet to find an amp that does remarkably better or worse. Driving 2 small driver thingies with a few mW isn't such a hard duty. I am convinced that also your little Dot gives you at least 98% of what the can is capable of.

The bat ear fraction may disagree, but...

Word. The built-in amp in my Marantz CD5001 (same opamp as Grado RA1 but in a properly designed, output-buffered circuit) drove my formerly owned DT990-250 without breaking a sweat.

May 26, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #491 of 12,546
Thinking of getting a pair of these or the dt990's 600 ohm version.

Anyone use a Matrix M-Stage amp with them (or can recommend another amp in the $200-300 range)?

I'm mostly buying these phones for music and some movies, but I plan to game on them too (and I game a lot) so I'll basically be using these 4-8 hrs a day on my PC. I don't want to go the tube amp route because of how often I'll have it on... don't want to burn out tubes on gaming and such.

May 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #492 of 12,546
i think the m-stage is pretty new. 
but it's supposed to be a clone of the Lehmann Black Cube Linear...
so maybe a search for threads about the Black Cube Linear might yield some results as to whether it can power the dt880 or dt990, and what the sound might be...
but, from what i've read, it's pretty darn powerful...

May 26, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #494 of 12,546
I ordered a pair of DT880/600s two weeks ago through beyerdynamic's Manufaktur website.  Of course I haven't received them yet, but noticed a $100+ drop in price when I recreated my headphones at their website tonight.

Anyone else notice this?

I emailed them asking for the new price of course.

See you all at Can Jam-

Matt

May 26, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #495 of 12,546
Damn, your right! The Manufaktur USA's price has dropped! I went there and customized it, and with leather headband, 600ohm and 2 lines of writing, it came upto $305! There is a flat shipping rate of $10, and also a cash on delivery option of $7! This is really nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back